Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Fusion 360 Project Semi Auto Sniper

triangle

Welcome to my project page, I have come here for critique on my first fusion 360 project. Some of the following parts are WIP, But still feel free to critique everything and anything. The parts which are not done are the cuboid like parts. Here is the following work screenshotted in fusion:

Replies

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 10

Looks cool from First Person.

I think the shapes are still to blocky and need more variation, curvyness and details.

Gazu

• Bionicphobia

Alright I will keep this in the for front of my mind whilst working, Ill see if I can get more dynamic shapes in. Thanks!

• Bionicphobia

Update, Spent all day trying to take the advice on board, still a WIP

• Bionicphobia

I have decided to try a new approach and start with doing the internals roughly and then expanding out. Although its extra work i do feel the weapons will feel a lot more technical and complex once parts have to be accounted for on the design. This is just the basic frame. Pretty simple but I would say a decent start. (I have been looking at Alex Senechal work aiming to learn from his approach.

• Bionicphobia

I do still have the other gun saved, but the new info I know now should allow me to make much more elegant shapes and details. Looking forward to posting soon.

• Bionicphobia

I have decide to do it again.... for the 7th time and I think I kind of see the approach after watching a few videos on fusion artists. I believe I am certainly beginning making use of the advance techniques now. Its just the barrel. But at least the shapes look interesting so far.

• Bionicphobia

So recently I have been looking at more work of the most renown hard surface artists and have decided to go back and froth with shape design in 2d and 3d for the best results. Here is my response to the barrel and will be going back to the body of the gun soon once a few more concepts have been done. The portions of primary secondary and tertiary certainly need more work. But as a concept to create ideas whilst using my 3D head. I think this is optimal. *also that I have a really bad association with drawing, so starting in 3d and flipping back and froth feels good.*

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

I like the nearly finished version of your first attempt. What materials did you have in mind for the different parts?

The barrel of the newest version (7th) indeed has nice shapes. Are you looking at any reference when working? Struggling to come up with new shape ideas is often solved that way at least in my experience.

In my eyes these parts look a bit disconnected from the rest. Maybe cou can try having guide slots run along the barrel and have small slides embedded in them.

Fusion 360 is such a fascinating software (to think Autodesk would provide something for basically free 🤯). I worked with it a lot for CNC milling parts of instruments for our company at home to help out during covid bad times (mostly for fingerboards of Zither and parts of Hackbrett, very niche instruments) and I think it's great. Just the sketching part is kind of fiddly sometimes.

Would you say it helps you get your ideas out quicker than traditional modeling?

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

I think the way I worded it didn't quite make it clear. I mean something along those lines maybe:

It's not modeled well at all but shows what I meant better I think.

Cheers

• Bionicphobia

ahh I see what you mean and I agree, I have been looking at this part thinking that it does look cool but needs some more grounded details that would make it feel more believable. having some sort of design connecting the body to the barrel directly is what I have been looking for. Perhaps ill do a line of manufacture. and create some connector points. Thanks for the input. Ill certainly put it to use tomorrow hopefully.

• Bionicphobia

Also I do believe fusion does allow me to make far more complex geo without the restraints of bevels and cuts as much. It does present new issues but they are possible to overcome and make fast iterations

• Bionicphobia

so, I have edited the concept more and aimed to understand the general shapes. Here is the concept:

• Bionicphobia

here is the start of the block out, I do have a lot to do but for a start. Its alright. Need to work faster though, Been busy today.