Home General Discussion

UK Cost of a Playstation is out of control! £709 or $970

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude ngon master
What's going on with the cost of a PS5? totally crazy or am I just getting old? My Son asked for one and I almost choked, I may as well get him a PC! 

Won't this will kill the console industry if this carries on?

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/sony-playstation-5-ps5-video-game-console~c21240~p28523515/ 

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp quad damage
    Apparently they have had record sales compared to PS4's release window, sounds like they'll be fine. I keep wondering though who is buying these at the inflated prices, considering that there aren't too many exclusives or must-have's at this point. Most of the titles I regularly hear about still come out with a PS4 version.

If you want it as an Xmas present, perhaps the Steam Deck can be an alternative?

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz quad damage
    The PC games industry isn't doing great either atm due to all GPU prices being 2-4 times MSRP.
    I'd second thomasp's suggestion of the Steam Deck (since I'm looking forward to it too), but it's back ordered until Q2 of next year...
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz sublime tool
    I had the same problem with the nintendo switch - daughter wanted it for animal crossing. Ended up buying her a decent PC instead as it was basically unavailable and people were profiteering on the price on amazon.
    I thought our xbox one had broken recently, but got it working again thank god
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    It's not just the machine itself but games as well. 60-70£? Are we serious? 
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp quad damage
    Don't forget the controllers while you're at it. :)
    And no back button attachment for them either. That would screw me up.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    But I am guessing their target audience is probably children/teens who spend their own money or get the credit card from their parents. Did that myself when PS1 came out, dad said you can spend maximum 30, I spent 60  =)
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J veteran polycounter
    Good time to be a game maker and not a game player I guess 
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp quad damage
    Btw. does anybody know if downloads from PSN have been capped since the release of the PS5 - at least for PS4 owners?

I could swear that application updates and downloads from the store were pretty fast well into 2020. Since the end of that year all I'm getting is a drip feed. Is there some prioritization going on for the newer platform or is it generally slower now with all the new users and larger downloads?

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz sublime tool
    on a simliar note, occulus rift 2  pc cable at £89 . i mean what the hell?. I got one from home bargains for 7 quid, works fine. they are also chargiing £49 for a new case