Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED!] Harry Potter Wizards Chess

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
beis polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

I've been learning Blender in my spare evenings, and I wanted to try something new. When I was a kid I enjoyed different interactive storybooks where you could read the story but also interact with different elements in the scene. My personal favorite was Arthur's Teacher Trouble, which was amusing and fun to discover different hidden things on each page:

With that in mind, I decided to try to make a little interactive scene of Harry, Ron and Hermione in the Gryffindor common room. I want to try to focus on developing my skills with these:
  • Developing my workflow in Blender and Mixer
  • Practice sculpting hard surface props and humans
  • Learn how to optimize a scene for real-time
  • Practice Animation workflow in Unreal
...And probably a lot more.

Alright, enough words - here's where I am at right now:

(The initial blocking I did)

And here is my mockup I just finished with the characters kinda getting at what I was wanting (I'm not a painter by any means, so this is pretty rough). There's also some new elements that I want to add to fill in the screen.

What do you think? Any thoughts or feedback are always appreciated :)

Replies

• beis
    Offline / Send Message
    beis polycounter lvl 5
    Been slowly making progress on this scene when I have spare evenings. Quixel Mixer has been fun to play around with, trying to take Megascans and see how far I can push them. There's still a lot of props and characters to make... I also only have procedural stuff on here at the moment. Once I get all of the pieces in, I will take another pass and add more hand-painted feel to pieces that really need it and are going to be seen.

Any feedback is always appreciated! :)
  • beis
    Offline / Send Message
    beis polycounter lvl 5

Still slowly working on this on and off. I'm starting to run into some of the limitations with Mixer, but I am still impressed with how far it's gotten me with this scene. Getting lots of practice with baking and ID maps and trying to push a little more stylized look while still using realistic materials. (Ron is still WIP, of course.)

• beis
    Offline / Send Message
    beis polycounter lvl 5

Been making more progress on this!

Ron's gotten a first pass. I've spent some more time tweaking some elements, some of which help a little (like cloth sim sweater) and others which are more successful (like the frost on the window). Hermione and her chair are the last major items to make, and then I might rework a few items like the table, adding some fuzziness to the clothes, etc.

I'm approaching my mental end with this one, so any feedback now is definitely appreciated :)

• beis
    Offline / Send Message
    beis polycounter lvl 5

And I'm done! Recently finished Hermione and tweaked a bunch of smaller things.

There's already some things that I would want to do over again if I let myself. Maybe bring it into a game engine and animated it like my original idea... but I'm ready to call this one. Learned a lot, and it's time to let it go and move on!