Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Quarterly CHARACTER ART Challenge | July - September

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Alemja quad damage

Welcome to the Quarterly Character Art Challenge!

New concepts will be chosen at the start of October
Previous Challenge Thread

How it works
  • Every new challenge, 3 Character Concepts will be provided
  • Pick one of the 3 concepts to work and post your progress here!
  • Complete a 3D game res model of your chosen concept
Guidelines
  • Help other artists grow! When you post an update, also leave a critique for someone else. Share knowledge you have learned
  • There are no software restrictions; you're welcome to use as little, or as many different software packages as you like.
  • There are no polygon or texture restrictions, it can be a 3,000 triangle hand painted model or a 100,000 triangle current gen model. Just make sure the final result is a game model, not a sculpt!
  • You are welcome to cross post on different sites (Artstation, Facebook, Discord etc.) for additional feedback
  • Before starting your character, break down the concept and plan your work accordingly. Being able to effectively estimate how long it will take to complete a project is an important skill, especially for freelance artists.
  • Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine. (Marmoset, UE4, Unity, etc.)
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't hesitate to find the answer on your own - chances are, the answer to your problem has already been answered within these forums
  • If you feel anything should be modified or added to these guidelines, please let me know!
Resources

Concepts

Please credit and link to the artists when posting on other sites!

Plague doctor by Bozhko Dimitrov

Plague Doctor Ana Skin Concept by Antonio Demico

Plague doctor by Boris Rogozin

How concepts are chosen:
  • Trying to keep it consistently one masculine character, one feminine and one other non-human (robot, creature, humanoid, etc)
  • Trying to keep the 3 concepts look like they are part of a theme or could fit in similar universe.
  • Concepts must be full body and clearly drawn. There shouldn't be a lot of guesswork on what the details or proportions are. Turnarounds are a good thing to have, but not required
  • Concepts shouldn't be too complex or too simple to allow people to get them done in the time-frame while also finding something interesting and giving a challenge.
  • Must be able to link back to the original source artist to they can be properly credited, Pinterest as a source doesn't count. If I cannot find the source or original artist, the art will not be used
  • If you are a concept artist and want your concept removed or want to create a concept for a future challenge please feel free to contact me.
  • If you have any suggestions of themes you would like to see in the future, send me a message!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Tried to translate one of the concepts quick and with simple technique into 3d. It's quite rough but was fun :)

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Fabi_G Glad to see you tackle it! The final result looks pretty good!
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Hmm, idk if you are going with an entire theme based quarterly challenge but i feel thou styled variety was provided, topic variety was lacking here.  I do not usually participate in these but if i where too, which i was considering coming along in here expecting to see variety of concepts. (which i could do all by myself) however these are great motivators to new people and learning students in the "industry", i feel saddened by the 1 choice topic.  Thanks for doing these though, if it was an experiment you had to try it at least once.  The lack of involvement though should speak volumes.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    DavidCruz said:
    Hmm, idk if you are going with an entire theme based quarterly challenge but i feel thou styled variety was provided, topic variety was lacking here.  I do not usually participate in these but if i where too, which i was considering coming along in here expecting to see variety of concepts. (which i could do all by myself) however these are great motivators to new people and learning students in the "industry", i feel saddened by the 1 choice topic.  Thanks for doing these though, if it was an experiment you had to try it at least once.  The lack of involvement though should speak volumes.

Hey thanks for the feedback! I generally try to stick to a particular theme (sometimes it's more loose than others) to make it interesting for me and so I can to find more unique concepts. Otherwise it would be just what I think is "cool" and I worry that it could be repetitive. It also leads me to finding some hidden gems at times! There could be a lot of reasons why people don't participate and I don't take it personally. Hopefully there will be better luck next time. If you have any theme ideas on what you would like to see, I would love to hear them!
  • ibrahim05
    Offline / Send Message
    ibrahim05 polycounter lvl 6
    Fabi_G said:
    Tried to translate one of the concepts quick and with simple technique into 3d. It's quite rough but was fun :)

really cool
  • d_argolo3d
    Fabi_G said:

That looks sweet !! How did you made it?
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    I liked the character concepts this time and thought they are different enough in artstyle, but I can see how it's a taste thing.
    Often times I'd start this challenge without posting (because I don't want to "commit", idk?!) and then loose focus and abort mission. Maybe this happens with other people too?
    Another thing I experienced with this challenges, is the urge start an AAA asset each time and quiting before starting :scream: but I think I am now healed from this :smile:
    Even if I don't have time to participate, I like to check out the challenges and think about the concepts, so thank you for doing this! Looking forward to the next one :smiley: 

@d_argolo3d
    Using Blender and Photoshop, this was the rough workflow:
    • 3d Sketch:
      Find proportions, observe concept, get everything in
    • Modeling and texture atlas:
      Create topology that's ok for deformation and easy to uv, used modifiers (e.g. array, deform, solidify).
      Started a texture atlas at the same time (different cloth strips, metal strips, belts and straps strips), mapped geometry to it
    • Texturing of unique parts:
      Add unique parts to texture atlas where needed
    • Create Armature, Skin, Pose:
      Used Rigify-Addon to create skeleton and generate rig, Skinned using automated weights, parented other props to armatures, for hanging things used mesh deform modifier to deform with skinned mesh.
  • ghost-d
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Fabi_G said:

You really got me for a while - I seriously expected that it´s a normal-mapped model at the first glance. Great job!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, @Alemja , know you do this on your own time (and thus money) AND its coming up to holiday season and such, so totally get it if you're busy esp since participation has been a bit low recently, but you still planning the next quarterly? Just been quiet for a minute.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    BagelHero said:
    Hey, @Alemja , know you do this on your own time (and thus money) AND its coming up to holiday season and such, so totally get it if you're busy esp since participation has been a bit low recently, but you still planning the next quarterly? Just been quiet for a minute.

Hey! Yeah October has been quite busy for me and my focus needed to be elsewhere. I am going to do something for November-December and hopefully it should be put together by the weekend. I will be taking into account the lost month and looking do to something a little different this time around. So sit tight!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hell yeah! Don't push yourself too hard yeah, looking forward to it :)
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    New Character Challenge is up for November-December. To make up for the lost month, this one is scaled down a bit and is focusing on portraits

As always you are welcome to continue working on your past challenge if you so choose, you can use this thread or start your own.