Home Career & Education

Should I even bother applying as a Junior Game Artist with this portfolio?

Hello,
How realistic is it to expect landing a first job as someone who just graduated from a short Game Art education?
I’m only looking for honest replies, thanks.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    edit : previous post wasn't long enough / sounded snarkier than i meant

your portfolio is not there yet, 
    your work is not without merit - i like the colours and its great to see a functioning game/demo 

it's all a bit shallow though, I'm not seeing a lot of storytelling, detail or layering of information in the models/textures/environment composition.  You can explain that away with stylisation or low budgets for your game project  but that's not something that a studio really cares about - they want someone who can generate a really cool scene and then fit it into a budget and your portfolio work needs to cater to that.

keep at it though, you're obviously capable of making decent stuff. 

for reference - this got someone hired straight out of university, if you ignore the sheer amount of work involved what sells it is the fact it generates a feeling of a larger world/universe in  which the scene exists. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0EKdy44fE
  • InvaderRoxas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas polycounter lvl 4
    Hi there! I think one thing that may help your portfolio is by making it specialized towards what specifically you want to do in the industry. Looking at it now, I see props, environments, character art, game design, fine art, etc. and it's not giving me the vibe yet that you specialize in a certain role. Some great advice that I've gotten in the past with portfolios relates to tailoring portfolio to the role that you want; if you can make your portfolio fit what a recruiter/company is looking for, then you're on your way. 

Beyond this, I would work on your presentation! The way that your images are set up really seem like screenshots, rather than renders that you took time and care into setting up for the big reveal. Presentation can ultimately make or break your portfolio, and having a great piece can be one thing, but bad presentation can kill all the hard work you just put in. I would browse Artstation, and look at what's trending. Look at how others present their work and how they're doing so: what shots they're taking, how they present their breakdowns, etc. 
    I hope this is helpful!