Hey, I've been working on a cartridge converted version of the Lefaucheux 20 shot revolver for 2 months now and I've finally pushed myself to bake and start texturing it unlike my other hard surface models that are stuck in limbo. My problem is that I love my high polys, but dislike making lowpoly versions because they end up losing so much detail.( pretty ironic considering I started out making lowpolys and disliking hardsurface)
The revolver is not a 1:1 with the real revolver, as I always try to add my own twist, either by doing visual changes or functional changes in line with what kind of gameplay I want to create and realism.
Here's some viewport shots of Hardsurface mesh that I used for baking:
Then there's the lowpoly:
And here's the UV packed with UvPackmaster for the best packing possible:
And here's the bake without any materials assigned in substance painter:
And a quick mockup with rusty metal and worn wood in Iray:
So, now that you've made it to the bottom, I'd love to hear what you think and what I could improve. The textures are W.I.P and not representative of what I'm aiming for, so spare any feedback/critique on that front for now.
Software used: blender and substance painter