Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Pitpat

Hello everyone, a beginner artist here. I start this sketchbook with the purpose of recording my progress as I am making small steps toward a career change. Currently as I am writing this post, I am 23 years old, living in Germany and I just graduated university with a degree in communication design and marketing a few days ago. As a kid I fell in love with drawing and sketching and I did it for years until puberty and highschool came along. Eventually I stopped creating stuff at all.

Just recently I relit the fire inside of me for art and telling stories with modelling, sculpting and of course sketching. In the beginning of ‘20 I started teaching myself and I took classes casually here and there. Now that I am out of school I decided to take the leap and “give the art a try again”, learning how to create production-art. Next to my regular job I will follow a self made curriculum in my spare time at home. I will at first mostly work on courses and tutorials, therefore the beginning will not contain many posts of my own projects for some time. I also haven't yet decided on which path I want to specialize in the future. Animation, concept art, 3D art or … ? You should expect to see bites of everything because I want to experiment with different things first.

As I already said this “sketchbook” serves me as a journal which motivates me to post something and keep on pushing, but feel free to leave feedback. I am always happy to read some comments, especially if they help me to improve. Keep yourself prepared for some beginnerish’ art in here. Sorry if my english isn’t that good, I am working on it.

Edit: I will mark every post with some keywords like "project" or "blogpost" just for the purpose of keeping things organised. I also thought about writing a small conclusion or something like that for each project-post about what I learned. I hope you are as excited as me about this journey of learning.

So far, much love and have fun!

~ Pat

Replies

• Pitpat
    [ Course - Project Finish ]

I just finished a course today about modelling a tresure chest and I learned a whole lot about working with the mirror-modifier in blender. Handpainted a simple texture for the first time instead of downloading a PBR-texture from the internet haha.

• Pitpat

This week I took a class on Skillshare about creating a low poly medival well. The challange was to keep the polycount relatively low but also to ensure that the model looks high quality. I set up my own materials and played a bit with the nodes in order to break up the repitition. Kinda gave it my own spin. The project was a lot of fun and I learned a few tricks about keeping the polys low and how to hide seams.

• Pitpat
    [ Old - Project - Blogpost ]

Currently I am working on my first realtime game-props, again with a course. The focus is on learning to create a highpoly and baking all the detail into a lowpoly mesh. After that the props will be textured in substance painter. But I didn't managed to finish the project this week so I will post an older project today. A few weeks ago I watched the couch-series on blender guru's youtube channel and gave it a try myself. It was a fun little project about modelling and texturing a realistic couch for archviz everything within blender. The most fun I had was with experimenting around with the textures, materials and tweaking them to my liking. I touched the sculpting tools in blender for the first time and I will definitely play around with them some more in future projects.

• Pitpat
    [ Course - WIP ]

This week was a little busy due to traveling and some work. A few weeks ago I started using ZBrush for the first time and I tried to get the hang of it. After a while I felt completely lost and stopped but picked it up again after I went on vacation. I am currently working through a course by Nikolay Naydenov which taught me the basics of the ZBrush's interface and how basic sculpting works. I would consider myself a pure beginner when it comes to sculpting since i have never done it before. After the confusion of the interface and many written down notes, the sculpting became really fun and relaxing. I was surprised by what can be achieved with only two or three brushes. Or even just the standart brush! The Project isn't completely finished yet, but I want to stay in the flow of posting a result at the end of the week. The concept was done by BU ZHOU (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oqNzL). Maybe I will post the end result with a render next week sometime.

• Pitpat
    Edit: Deleted this post because it was a duplicate of the previous one :'D

• Pitpat

Yesterday I finally finished my first ZBrush Project. In the prevoious post I already said that I struggeled a bit in the beginning, but became more comfortable toward the end. There were no major tweaks since I only added some polypainting which is barebly visible haha. I haven't decided yet on how to continue my ZBrush process for now, but I have to get a bit more familiar with the interface and all its functions. I think I used the software for about ~20ish hrs. and I am still confused about everything. The sculpting itself included. Nontheless, the project was fun and the workshop was fairly easy to follow along. Small steps!