Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback Robot Ninja Girl

Jacob493
node
Offline / Send Message
Jacob493 node
Hello my name is Jacob and I am a student at Lynn University, I'm currently in my portfolio class where I have to make a character. Feedback would be very much appreciated. I do not own this image, and I can't find the name of the artist if you know who made this, please tell me so that the artist can be credited 

Link of the image: 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/618893173777443822/ 

My model so far: 

This is currently being made in Autodesk Maya

Replies

• Jacob493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob493 node
    Update [3/31/2020]

I’m Finished with the character, it was challenging since I don’t have a picture of her back. So, I don’t really know how it looks like, I was only able to rely on the concept itself. When I compare it to the original concept it feels like it’s a bit disproportioned, such as the legs and the arms, but I think It's only looking like that because it’s not posed the same way as her concept.  I can fixe the proportion issue pretty quick if that’s the case

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, her legs are too far forward. She would constantly fall down on her butt! Her form is really human, just in a super dynamic pose. Maybe the only difference are her unnaturally wide hips and distance between thighs.

• Jacob493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob493 node
    Update [04/07/2020]

I fixed the top part of the leg, it still looks round, but it’s connected to the body. The hair doesn’t look jagged anymore, and the legs and feet are properly placed. I even made other parts of her body look smooth like the lower arm, her “belt” and foot. I noticed that if I add more vertices on some of the other body parts, it won’t have some sharp edges like in the concept

All the character’s UV is done, I just need to place all of them on the map.

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Hmm ... the concept looks like her lower leg is more shaped like an animal hock
    I made a quick overpaint to show you my toughts. Also look at her arms give her rounder shapes. In my opinion you are still in the shape finding stage so don't worry about UV's.

• Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    This is actually one of my favorite robot design philosophies, so I kinda see where the concept is going for.

It's one of the ones where its designed as a facsimile of a girl in an outfit, so the legs are actually trying to suggest big, poofy shorts

Right now, your modeling is going for a very grounded, blocky basic robot design, but it should be a lot more rounded and natural if you want to follow the concept closely

It is really weird how that concept art basically only exists second-hand online, though. A shame, too- it's a really nice design, but I just can't find it anywhere but pinterest.

I get the feeling it's a Medabot design, though, so perhaps you could look at some more of them to get an idea of how they execute their ideas
  • Jacob493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob493 node
    Hmm ... the concept looks like her lower leg is more shaped like an animal hock
    I made a quick overpaint to show you my toughts. Also look at her arms give her rounder shapes. In my opinion you are still in the shape finding stage so don't worry about UV's.

Hey thx for the feedback, what do you mean when you said that her arm gave a more rounded shape, it seems to me that it looks like it has sharp edges.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The hard edges should literally be rounded bevels.  Not so much that it's a circle, but that it "feels" soft.

• Jacob493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob493 node
    Update [4/14/2020]

I made the arm rounder and added bevels at the edge of the arm, and I pulled its sides. It looks round to me and similar to the reference if it’s still not right then I don’t know what to do. I also added bevels on the leg so that it can also look sharp on the edge.

I used the Steel Painted Scraped Dirty texture for the base color of the character, it seems to work very well. I also use Glass Visor for the eyes and lowered its metal a bit so that it can still reflect. I also added Steel Medieval Stylized texture and the Steel Dark Stained.

I tried to stack most of the similar UVs together, but it won’t work every time I click on stack similar. I was able to make other UVs bigger and the small ones are the parts of the character that you won’t be able to see

• Jacob493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob493 node

I was having a small problem with the base colors, whenever I bring the textures to Unreal the base color would look pale. What I did is was, I made the color darker than it should be and when I brought it to Unreal, the colors would match the colors of the concept art of the character.

I was having a small problem with the animations for my character. Whenever I would make the character jump, the character would be stuck in his jump-start animation. The problem was that we found that I simply used the wrong command for the time remaining ration. 

For the final character, I put her in a position where she would be running away from four kunai coming after her. She is jumping on top of a kunai that got stuck on bamboo to get away from the other kunai that are coming towards her