What is your experience with GTX 1660Ti ?

Alander
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Alander polycounter lvl 3
Hello!

I'll be getting myself a new PC.
For the GPU I wanted to pick up the newest AMD RX 5700XT but my current budget won't allow it.
So I decided that I will pick the GTX 1660Ti which is a lot cheaper and still good in performance.

What is your work/gaming experience with this GPU?

I'll be parrying it with Ryzen 5 3600 and Kingston 16GB DDR4 2666MHz.

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura veteran polycounter
    It really depends on the application. Personally I wouldn't buy any from the 10th series. I used to have a 1080 for like a year. It wasn't bad, but as far as I can tell, we are in the dawn of rtx, and I believe that it will spread more in the upcoming years. Especially when the new series comes out, and things get cheaper. I also compared a 1080ti to a 2080ti in a real time ray tracing scenario, and with rtx features enabled, I had 25% fps on the 1080 compared to the 20 one. This isn't as simple, it really depends on the scene, but in general, enabling rtx on a 10th series nvidia card can cut your fps in half or worse depending on the settings. If you have tight bugdet, yeah sure, get something that you can afford. But if you are the type of a guy who likes to play with the cool kids toy (rtx in games or in art), I'd rather recommend saving more money and jump on the train.

I'm somewhat biased though, but I think the direction of high end real time 3d is pretty clear. 
    You can also look up charts and compare different videocards performances in different applications.
  • Alander
    Offline / Send Message
    Alander polycounter lvl 3
    Obscura said:
    It really depends on the application. Personally I wouldn't buy any from the 10th series. I used to have a 1080 for like a year. It wasn't bad, but as far as I can tell, we are in the dawn of rtx, and I believe that it will spread more in the upcoming years. Especially when the new series comes out, and things get cheaper. I also compared a 1080ti to a 2080ti in a real time ray tracing scenario, and with rtx features enabled, I had 25% fps on the 1080 compared to the 20 one. This isn't as simple, it really depends on the scene, but in general, enabling rtx on a 10th series nvidia card can cut your fps in half or worse depending on the settings. If you have tight bugdet, yeah sure, get something that you can afford. But if you are the type of a guy who likes to play with the cool kids toy (rtx in games or in art), I'd rather recommend saving more money and jump on the train.

I'm somewhat biased though, but I think the direction of high end real time 3d is pretty clear. 
    You can also look up charts and compare different videocards performances in different applications.
    I would love to save more money for better components, but my current situation is a bit complicated. I need a new PC primary for work but I plan to upgrade some components in the future when it will be possible.

Also I've come across the RX Vega 56 which is a little bit cheaper in my country and performs better in some benchmarks.

Is an AMD card worth it in 3D art? Or the majority of software is pro-Nvidia?
  • TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister greentooth
    Alander said:

Is an AMD card worth it in 3D art? Or the majority of software is pro-Nvidia?
    It really depends on your situation. I do think that going Nvidia RTX right now is best if your into 3D because of the dedicated hardware for ray-tracing. Also, rendering software such as V-Ray and Redshift only work with Nvidia GPUs as far as I know. So if ever you wanted to use these, your out of luck if you're using an AMD card.