Home Marmoset

Transparent textures in toolbag 3 (UPDATED)

rintin
node
Offline / Send Message
rintin node
I saw some exported "marmoset viewer" scenes with a handpainted window, a transparent color gradient for a rocket trail, or in billboard vegetation.

What's the best way to do it in this version. I read something like using the texture two times, the colored one in one place and a black&white gradation in other. But i'm not sure if in the current version I can use directly from a single RGBA png (or other extension) or not. Any requires steps?

Any advice? thank you very much.

UPDATED WITH MORE INFO IN NEXT REPLY

Replies

• rintin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rintin node
    I tried exporting a quad from modo in fbx (with UV projection). I create a transparent image in Affinity Photo with some soft airbrush stroke, etc. And exported as TGA (and png with alpha channel, similar results with both).

In toolbag 3: I import the fbx, create a material, and assign the TGA image in albedo and in transparency.
    If transparency is working in cutout mode, I had no soft gradation. If I change to dither, soft gradation is more or less working, but I have like "noise" in the texture.

I'm doing something bad? Is needed to do any extra step?
    I'm getting frustrated with something so basic like this.

Screens:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The modes break down like this:

Cutout, this is 0 or 1, on or off, you would use this for something like a chain link fence.

Dither, this is for softer transitions, it will look noisy in the viewport but if you increase the samples (in Capture Settings - Ctrl + P) it will look better. This is usually the best choice for something like hair. The biggest benefit with dithering is that it is order independent, meaning there are no alpha ordering problems like you see with traditional alpha blending where faces render in the wrong order.

Additive, this is for things that glow. If you're trying to do something like a special effect, additive is often what you want.

Refraction, this is for transparent, refractive surfaces like glass.

In Viewer, dither mode doesn't quite work the same. We're doing something more like traditional alpha blending along with a cutout pass, so it may not hold up for smooth gradients, but generally works well for things like hair. You may want to try additive instead.