Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mauser Magnum

andrewqjacobs
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
andrewqjacobs triangle
High everybody,

This is a work in progress blog and critique of a handgun prop I'm making. The concept is a Mauser C96 merged with a Magnum Revolver with a few more gun pieces that add interesting shapes. On top of that I came up with the idea while following Giant Bomb's E3 #content. So this weapon is dressed up with references to give it a little more life than just another weapon prop.

I've been following Pavlo Lisunov's Red 9 Tutorial while making this as I've switched over from Maya to Max for this project. 
On this I'm through a boolean workflow, that I'll be cleaning up in ZBrush next. 

Any thought's welcome. Especially for the handle which I'm not sure of. Also why Maya built mesh (all the grey) would have such strange normals when directly imported into Max? Thanks!

7/16 - Updated with sculpting. I'm not sure how far to take the damaging on this prop. I want it to be weathered, but am afraid that banging up metal like this is going to come off as a post-apocalyptic item. The handle will be wood, the rest metals.

Replies