Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Neoclassical Exterior

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Zimzelen polycounter lvl 4

This is a project I'm planning to release in a pack as an asset. I want to focus on the modularity of the pack because it's my favorite part of this project. I also wish to make it as flexible as possible for the user.

I've unwrapped my current set of objects but I’ve yet to properly organize them all. I would ask for advice in regards to how the UVs should be set up for a modular pack. Besides just making one big texture atlas for the whole building I want to separate the textures so the user can pick and choose what they need. From what I understand modular packs are made to suit the project. That being said I want this pack to be easily modified and suited for whatever the user needs.

Also I’m open to suggestions for adding more diverse parts to increase the modularity of the pack. I have plenty of references and ideas for further parts but I would like to know if I am missing something vital.

And heres a wireframe render of the basic building cells to get an idea of the topology. I already feel like I've dumped WAY too many images already so I'll hold off on adding more.

Again suggestions, critique and criticism is welcome, as this is my first modular project.

Replies

• Zer02Her0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zer02Her0 triangle
    Awesome start! Looks super clean. I would say look into during some trim textures, if you haven't already, as it will save you a lot of time! 

Do you have any reference you are working off of? 
  • Zimzelen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, great to hear and to be making progress. I have checked out a bunch trim textures, though I'm still deciding on how I'll go about doing them and the textures in general besides just droping objects into Substance painter.

And yeah I am working on this with the references from the old district of my home town of Ljubljana.

I took a lot more detail shots of the various pieces, though looking at this picture in retrospect I really should have taken a better total shot.

Thankfuly we have google for that.

• Zimzelen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently making more parts and have gotten stuck on making the stairs. I have two basic sets but I'm curious if there is any way to make more complex modular stairs without making unique parts.

I've been looking for a good example on stairs placement in a game engine to better understand what I need to watch out for when making them but so far I haven't found much, apart from making separate unique interlocking sets.
    That might be the answer but I want to ask here just in case I missed something.

And something extra. Next, redoing this in unity.

• Zimzelen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Closing this project with a small street scene in Unity. It was cool making a scene to walk around and I learned a bunch from this whole work. I would like to hear any kind of criticism since I'm sure I've missed a bunch of things.