Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UE4) Japanese Alley (Done)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Mustafa polycounter lvl 3
Hi all,
 I've started work on my first environment ever in UE4 and I'm excited to share my progress, and because this is the first one, there is going to be alot of 
experimenting with new workflows and techniques that I learned.
Ps: I'm self-taught :d

I'm not going to make it the same from the ref.

and here is the mood I want to achieve:-

and here are the buildings and props ref:-

I made a block out of the scene. 
On this stage, I want to get the right relative scales and proportions of the objects.

Then I Imported the blockout into UE4 and made the basic lighting and mood :-

If you have any thoughts about where this is going, please feel free to comment. I really need your constructive criticism because this is the first time making an environment.

Replies

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have finished the buildings modeling:-

So the next step is doing the procedural materials.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, how are you? 
    It has been a long time since I posted here, I'm busy nowadays with the exams,
     I have just Finished the first set of signs, the materials still WIP, maybe you will see them in the next post :wink: .

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Interesting scene. Keep it up.

I'm planning to make something like this as well sometime in the future.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks good so far!
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheGabmeister Thank you!
    Yeah, I'm really exciting working on this environment.

@Ashervisalis Thanks :blush: .
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Again!
    Did some probs for my scene, feedback and critiques are welcome :wink:

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount!
    So finally I have just finished my exams and got time to work on this environment, I have assigned the materials to the buildings and imported the signs and did a basic post processing then quick light building.

And yeah, I guess I have to adjust the materials to fit the scene, the material of the window is a placeholder.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again!!
    Havent been able to work on this project in a while because of my college exams and finally, I have finished them :D
    Here are the materials I did for my environment, maybe I will make more if needed.
    100% substance designer.

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Polycount people!
    Just a quick update,
    So I added more props like paper lanterns and Aircons, made adjustments on some materials, made a quick glass material for the windows and played a little bit with the lighting and the mood:The scene is missing a lot of props, decals.
    so the next step is adding a lot of props, decals, vertex paint for puddles and so on.
    The windows textures are really bad maybe I'm going to rework them.
    I'm going to use a trim sheet and this is the first time I make a trim sheet lol, for the ground to make little pavements, Iron connectors, and shops fronts.  
    Any thoughts and critiques are most welcome!
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys!!
    I have added some props to my scene, made some adjustments to the lighting, add water puddles using vertex paint to the ground, made a trim sheet to use it to make pavements and blocks for the ground:-

Here is the Trim material I have made entirely in substance designer:

and here is some beer for u guys :D

So in the next step, I wanna add some electricity wires and holders above and make the scene really
     crowd.

I really need some critiques on my composition, lighting, and colors since I'm weak on these points, The critiques and feedback are most welcome!!
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    -Added some props (Trashbags, Trash bins, electricity holders and metal connectors above the buildings, added a pink plant on metal holders)
    -played a little bit with the lighting and fog setting, but the lighting isn't final and needs a lot of work.
    -Fixed the material of the window and polished it.

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount people!
    So I have added wires and modular pipes and air  vacuums to the environment, made some versions of the materials with a dirty look so I can vertex paint them in the scene,
     The lighting still needs work, the next step is to add decals(signs, posters, stains, and damages)
    If you have any feedback I will really be happy to hear it!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Oh that's fun, I was just there last week. Nice work :)

One note, everything there is a bit less even than you'd expect. the pavement, the walls, etc. And it's also pretty narrow, maybe 2.5 people shoulder to shoulder in that alley with the leaves above the street.

Here's a shot from last week, it's all a bit less orderly than you have it in the scene:

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @PeterK, I hope you enjoyed your time there, 
    It's really hard to narrow the alleyway at this stage, I'm trying to make it less orderly but damn these details are taking too much time.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    So here's the thing. Right now, the level looks "good".  If you want it to be something that's impressive to other artists and potential employers, you need to push it further. Take the time, I really think if you push this, it can be a massive showpiece for your portfolio.

You're like "ALMOST THERE" with it. Check this out: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/slug/rome-fantasy-pack-i

I think if you just get over the desire to "get it done", and push it just a bit more, you'll have something "great", instead of "good". You have the talent, I can see that, now use your drive to take it up a notch.

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PeterK Thank you so much!!, you know what I was thinking of getting this piece done soon but after reading your message you have changed the idea!! I agree that getting over the desire to "get it done" makes the work awesome so I will keep going  B)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Sounds good man, looking forward to seeing the final.
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5
    This is coming on very nicely, looking forward to seeing this finished. I'm working on one pretty similar at the moment, I've had to take a break on it for a bit, but looking forward to getting back on with it especially after seeing this post 😃
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I updated, It was so bad situation in my country Iraq because of people go out  against the government and the government fight them, too many killed and a lot of injuries and banned the internet for a week, and they will ban it again, so its hard to work offline without any resources and ref.
    Anyway, This time I added more props to the scene, Played a little bit with the lighting and added decals

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Mustafa said:
    Been a while since I updated, It was so bad situation in my country Iraq because of people go out  against the government and the government fight them, too many killed and a lot of injuries and banned the internet for a week, and they will ban it again, so its hard to work offline without any resources and ref.
    Anyway, This time I added more props to the scene, Played a little bit with the lighting and added decals

That's really tough. Hang in there. Your scene is looking great. Keep it up.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on color grading and lighting of the scene and finally, I'm convinced  :# 
    The next step Will add posters and signs and more debris.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PolyCount People,
    Been working the whole day on the wall signs, posters, and torn papers, They are really awesome because I feel the environment is alive!
    I also made some adjustments to lighting and other props, Feedback and comments are much appreciated.

So the next step will be the last ;), I'll work on the presentation of the environment, making still pics and a small video to get better at sequencer.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys how are you?
    It's been a long time since the last update but I was really busy, the situation in Iraq still isn't good and we are protesting against the government to get our rights for more than 50 days, more than 350 people killed and around 16000 injuries, But I'm trying to get this work done when I got free time, so I managed to make a prefinal video and rendered it, I would like to hear what do you think about it, It's the first time I made a video and worked on AE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45n7g0Bmk4&feature=youtu.be

• Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    Been working on my environment for a while, I know it took a long time to finish and that because of the bad situation in Iraq, anyway after working on some critiques and feedback from the communities, I added more lights to the scene and increased the bounced light to make the scene pop up, and been working to add dynamic effects to the scene to add life to it when making a video format, such as making the leaves and hanging cloth signs effected by wind, falling leaves, stem blowing up from some restaurants, swaying lanterns.
     The only thing left is fixing and adjusting the final camera cuts and movements for the video presentation, I hope I can finish this piece asap  :'(
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycount people!
    Here is the final presentation of the props  I did for the environment that I'm about to finish, for the textures I used substance designer, the decals & torn papers were form textures.com after tweaking them in photoshop. I'm happy to finish that environment and sure thanks to the community of The DiNusty Empire for the valuable critiques and feedback, Thanks for viewing my work and have a nice day!
  • icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    I hope things have gotten a little better for you in your country. Solid work.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, finished the presentation of the environment!!
    Thank you guys for the great feedback, special thanks to the DiNusty empire! and to Emiel Sleegers for his great tutorial, I've learned the basics of Unreal Engine and experimented a lot with Mood, color grading, lighting, creating various props.
    you can check the final work here:-
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EVR51N
    and don't forget to watch the real-time video showcase here:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBVqSrDv69A&list=TLPQMjkwMjIwMjCTnIedhkCHIw&index=1
    Have a nice day!
  • FilmDirectorSciFi
    Excellent work! Love the props too. Have you ever thought about making these things for film?
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work! Love the props too. Have you ever thought about making these things for film?
    Thanks!
    Actually, I didn't, but I think they will  work well because I used high-resolution textures (taking in mind this is a small showcase environment)
  • Ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! this is awesome work!
    I can't believe you're able to focus and produce this level of work with the intense situation in Iraq going on.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Ace
    Thanks to the God That I finished it.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    Congratulations on successfully completing this complex scene, @Mustafa. What you've done under the circumstances is commendable and inspiring.  Best wishes to you during these difficult times in Iraq.
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Japanese Alleyway Lighting - Ue4

After finishing the lighting academy on YouTube about Ue4, I wanted to rebuild the lighting in my latest environment and achieve another mood with a better look, I wanted to achieve afternoon lighting, I used Ray tracing in rendering this time and the results are Awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWroRHnrdEE

• mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    The new lightning looks so good! It gives me this chill summer afternoon feeling
  • Glacierfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
    Oh thats wonderful, well done!
  • Mustafa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mar_torrales
    I'm glad that you liked it!
    @Glacierfox