Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Ghost In The Shell, Majors Bedroom

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
The_Maw polycounter lvl 7
I am currently working on this project to fill out my portfolio, and I was hoping to get some advice on how to improve. There are still lots of things to do such as finish adding materials some objects in the room and also fleshing out the background but I was hoping to get some fresh eyes to look for other areas that need fixing and advice on how to go about it.

My progress so far:

Reference: 

Replies

• Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo_Elliott polycounter lvl 4
    Looks really cool as is!!! If you want to get even closer to concept then add a few more cables near the window and add some building behind the two to show more depth because at first glance I thought it was one building. Also, maybe add another building to the right of the window,something to show the depth more. but to reiterate initial impressions... its really cool so far!!
  • The_Maw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really cool as is!!! If you want to get even closer to concept then add a few more cables near the window and add some building behind the two to show more depth because at first glance I thought it was one building. Also, maybe add another building to the right of the window,something to show the depth more. but to reiterate initial impressions... its really cool so far!!
    Thanks for taking a look, I plan over the next week or so to add more buildings into the background and do a more detailed pass of nearly everything to help push it further.
  • The_Maw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Small update

I have adjusted the lighting in the room slightly in an attempt to get it closer to the reference. I think it may be close enough now where I will be able to get it even closer when I work into the post process volume.

I've also added into the buildings in the back creating some more piping for the left building and adding more buildings to the right. I think I am going to remove the large pipes running down the side of the left building as I really don't like them. 

Next I will be working into the foreground a little more just outside the window and then after that it will be fleshing out the distance background to create more depth in the image. This will be slightly tricky due to the focal length basically flattening everything.
  • The_Maw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

I've added in more buildings now, I think I still need some more in the foreground to fill it out a little more. After they have been added I will be doing a detail pass of the buildings, adding things such as; air con units, satellite dishes, unique details for each balcony. Hopefully this detail pass will help sell the realism.

After that pass is complete it will be finalising the post process volume to bring it all together.
  • The_Maw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Decided to call this finished. 

This project posed an interesting problem where the inside of the room needed to be pretty dark but the outside still needed to be lit enough to be able to see what the city looked like, I think I managed to find a decent balance. 

This was mainly to help me try and develop and push my skills for environment art and lighting. I strictly used only tiling textures for everything bar a couple of unique normal maps for the box above the bed and box beside the bed. I was also being very conscious of trying to keep it within the limitations a game may have. So I tried limiting poly details in meshes where I could and pushing the textures, this can be seen especially in the walls of the bedroom that are just flat planes.

How my progress played out, you can see where I had multiple times that I reworked the lighting in an attempt to get it accurate to the reference.