Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Coffee Shop - Finished

DanikaPuzdrowski
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
DanikaPuzdrowski polycounter lvl 2
Hi all, 

I'm fairly new to 3D modelling and want to make a good portfolio piece.
Everything is still very much WIP so don't hold back on the critique - I could use some help! 

Will keep posting updates, thanks 

Replies

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    it looks solid, my main concern is that the colours are very flat. I can see it's still early work, but there's not much variation in colours, roughness, or even material, which leads to a rather dull looking image. Do you have any references for the mood and tone that you're going for? 
  • Nattyoop92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nattyoop92 node
    Hey Danika,

Are you looking at using physical based rendering? If you look at wooden tables at coffee shops in real life, they tend to be more reflective, they are varnished surfaces so have a gloss to them, whereas floors if they are wooden are usually less shiny. Something like this:

If you were to adjust these values and bring them closer to real life, I think really quickly you could add some variety to the scene. Again, as you say its very early WIP, but the colour temperature is all the same, maybe if you added a bluer light on the edge of the scene, like daylight spilling in, that colour variation across the whole piece would also break up a lot of those caramel browns you have going on.

It's a great start though and from what I can see from the WIPs the modelling looks good, keep it up! :)
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the comments - texturing is one of my weaknesses so I wanted to use this as an opportunity to improve my skills, so thanks a lot for the critique, i'll continue to work on it :) 

@rexo12 I was going for a warm overall tone to the scene - I want it to look inviting, I'll upload some reference pics as soon as i'm able to 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice layout so far. Just to add a note, you have a completely flat ceiling and a flat floor. The floor seems common to be flat, unless you want to add some stairs, BUT the ceiling, you CAN leave it flat OR add pipes and wires up top, or extrude a portion up. 

I'm looking at it like a hipster local coffee shop at a hipster spot in Seattle lol. It'll probably be in a old building with vents and pipes, add some flavor and modern culture to it, decorate it with art and lights, and you have a coffee shop. The "old building with vents and pipes" is pretty much what it'll need lol. But that's my cents, I'm trying to imagine more modern coffee shops like Starbucks, and I think, even then, if it's placed in a hip spot for young adults or busy areas, it might be part of a building that still carry some pipes and vents around by the ceiling.
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, 
    thanks a lot for all of your feedback, it really helps a lot :) 

Just a small update, but i've been reworking some textures and tweaking the values of my current textures 

As always i'd love some feedback on how I could improve! 
  • Nattyoop92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nattyoop92 node
    Hey,

The reflectiveness on the wood is looking much truer to life, that subtle light bounce, especially on the objects in the foreground already gives a much better visual break up and it also helps to convey to the viewers the form of the objects. There is a lot of brown so a suggestion for when you continue to flesh out the scene, adding some colourful coffee cups, menus on the table or seat cushions would really bring it to life and help it feel "lived  in".

Going well though keep posting :)
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nattyoop92
    Thanks for the feedback :) 
    Yeah my next step is to start populating the scene with more colourful things haha
    Also thanks for the suggestion of seat cushions, I hadn't thought about that! 
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update - starting to add some colour :) 

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Those cups really pop! I don't think the back wall works being made of an extraordinarily different (and much cleaner) brick material though, unless you can find some way to justify it through your visual storytelling.

Is this static or dynamic lighting? There seems to be some lack of shadow definition on the cups and chair legs, and boosting the AO intensity and/or radius a bit could improve that.
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, 

Not too much to update you on, but I thought that I would anyway - as always feel free to give me some critique as everything is still wip :) 

Thank you :) 

• DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have much free time to work on this lately, but I'm slowly adding more to the scene :) 

I think next i'll work on some things to populate the walls as they're looking a little bit empty 
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, slow progress but i'm getting there :) 

(Disclaimer - I dont own the images used for the posters) 

Next i'll be focusing on the bar area - as always any critiques are welcome :) 
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the coffee machine now :) 

• DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update - but getting there : ) 

• DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm almost done with this one :) 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks cool! I think you could increase the polys on the circular part of the white table.
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Thanks for the feedback! Gave the tables a little more love 

I have a few minor changes to make but other than that I think its about done - any more critique is of course welcome :) 

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Great progress mate, in my opinion only thing you need is some focal point. All screenshots look wonderful, but I think something special that grab viewer's attention is important in every scene.
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    I love this! This has really had a ton of improvement over all your posts!

My only concern is the mixing of redbrick and black brick in the same space, seems a bit clashing to me. Other than that, this feels like a coffee shop I would go to in a old town district or downtown area. thumbs up
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, i'll make sure to get on that soon :) 
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to call this one done now so I can move onto other projects. 
    Thanks everyone for your help, i've learned a lot doing this :) 

More renders on my artstation :) 
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    I love it! What time does it open? XD
  • DanikaPuzdrowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DKlassen Thanks for your help with this project - glad you like it :)