Replies

• ptgibson14
    Offline / Send Message
    ptgibson14 triangle
    I'm sorry for hatin on corel painter lol...they do have keyboard shortcuts
  • ptgibson14
    Offline / Send Message
    ptgibson14 triangle
    day 30: just screwin around...did some fundamental skill work and then wanted to be a little creative...long way to go...line control needs alot of work

please dont take this too seriously guys lol i was just messing around...no reference just a little doodling before bed
  • Alex Javor
    Online / Send Message
    Alex Javor hero character
    Thing about digital art is you don't got to be super good with the pencil. Probably some tools in corel you can use to get straight lines and curves (for that perspective work.)

I can't draw worth a shit but I can make half-way decent sketches in photoshop just cause it's got some many tools to help you out.
  • ptgibson14
    Offline / Send Message
    ptgibson14 triangle
    Yeah I will eventually cheat but I’m trying to develop skill now
  • Alex Javor
    Online / Send Message
    well, if you are always going to be doing digital art, and digital art has tools to make it so that you don't have to have super good hand/eye, why bother?

Then you can put more focus into design, form, color, composition, stuff like that. Like, you've got to be able to understand good line work, but if you can't physically draw good lines that doesn't matter cause you have a million tools to make your lines well.

Might help you out to find some gumroad tutorials from artist in the field you are interested in. As a beginner you won't be able to follow along exactly as tutorials like that usually assume you know your way around the programs and have a sense for common workflows, but what you will see is how professional artist work in a broader sense. You might be surprised just how much of it is "cheating," aka taking advantage of the medium.

• ptgibson14
    Offline / Send Message
    ptgibson14 triangle
    So just find concept artists on artstation that i like, see if they have gumroads or any type of tutorials and become their pupil.  I'm a little discouraged because I work at the bank all day and i get home and im pretty tired....like its kind of a struggle right now to level up my hand skills.  But the challenge is over, I'll keep workin...i like zbrush and i bought it so imma use it....ive got the student versions for 3ds and substance.....but yeah ill look for concept guys and galls i like...i noticed you really do have to search the artist by name on gumroad to find a specific topic.  
  • Alex Javor
    Online / Send Message
    there is a list of artist with gumroad tutorials on the wiki. Good place to get started. Also can check out the artstation store. I've found some nice photoshop tut's from there.

Well, that's that then, huh? 30 days of art. Technically, you missed some days so it's a failure. However, despite some setbacks you stuck through with it, and we have to respect that. And that's really more telling of a persons character than success-- failing but not quitting.

It's not so easy to try and learn a complex new skill while also working full time. I think that is why it is so important that you find a way to relax and enjoy the art, let  it be more like therapy than some extra stress at the end of the day. If you are very serious about making it into a career, probably the best thing is to make some sort of plan to get your living situation more suitable to the kind of time you need for proper study.

Well, a month ago we only saw you posting questions about art careers, now you seem to have a litlte better idea of what you like to do and hopefully you've figured out a way to consistently get some amount of practice in daily or semi-daily. So I think that puts you a little further ahead than you were. 

I'll leave you alone from here. Thanks for sticking it out dude!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi insane polycounter
    Good job with the art-ing.

Keep making more and finish a character.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi polycounter
    Well done, hope you'll build upon this exercise and takeaway some insights that were shared here.