PS5, Scarlett, Google Stadia, Other next gen consoles, lets get on down to specifics

Replies

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude polycounter
    "I am serious, I believe a Cloud based system will be the future" - 24 Jan, 2019

Talk about spot on predictions with Google unveiling Stadia cloud gaming service at GDC 2019 😆

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    There's been OnLive, GameFly Streaming, GeForce NOW, PlayStation Now, Shadow, GameCloud, starting in 2003, and none of them have really taken off. I could see PlayStation Now and an Xbox cloud based gaming platform slowly expand overtime, but I have 0 expectations from Google. 
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 14
    My buddy was in on the "google stream" beta, and he really liked it. He's not a gamer, but he decided to try it, and then couldn't stop talking about Assassin's Creed, and how smoothly it played. The only 'negative' was his data usage, which skyrocketed. Again, he wasn't much of a gamer, so most internet activity he typically had, was video streaming. This dwarfed it. Maybe Google was using extra data, to include info for debug purposes (doubtful)?

Basically, I'm not sure the infrastructure (in the US), is ready for this. Comcast always has periods of getting 'iffy' at my house, and they also currently have a 1TB data cap, which I almost reach monthly (I have two kids that game, in addition to myself). There are still large sections of the country, without decent internet speeds. 

In the end, I'm impressed with what Google is offering (still waiting for pricing info), but I don't think the time is right. This may fail, simply by having a good product, introduced too early. Time will tell
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 14
    An additional thought, it might be interesting if they make a Stalia app for the major consoles, so I can use my native controller. That may provide a good entry/intro for gamers (allowing them to still use the party systems). Gamers could still get their games from MS/Sony, if they want, but still have streaming options. It might be a reason for me to actually buy a switch too. That's the only thing they didn't demonstrate on stage (using a console).
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude polycounter
    Philip Oliver said "This a bold and exciting move by Google for the games industry. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out. The fact that it's so convenient (tiny friction to play awesome games and no updates) and doesn't require a large upfront investment by consumers makes this a revolution." 2019
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude polycounter

Xbox Project Scarlett

Xbox Project Scarlett details have just been announced and the details are on the table. It’s good to finally know what we are aiming for with development specifications.

Scarlett Xbox specs
    Scarlett 8K gaming,
    Framerate -120fps
    Ray-Tracing,
    SSD 
    GDDR6 RAM
    CPU based on AMD’s Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture,

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    I'd be pleasantly surprised if the UI works at 120hz/8k. At this point its just marketing. Still very happy we have SSD based consoles finally. 

Any guesses on the name? 
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Also one talking head saying "8k" the other "up to 120fps" and some people put that together "up to 8k and 120 fps!". Iam pretty sure 8k was refering to media resolution. No way will they get 8k gaming started.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude polycounter
    Also one talking head saying "8k" the other "up to 120fps" and some people put that together "up to 8k and 120 fps!". Iam pretty sure 8k was refering to media resolution. No way will they get 8k gaming started.

I will be more then happy with a 4K game running at 60fps any more then that is a bonus. Also fixing latency when you have more players will also be a huge improvement. 

I wonder how much it will cost? 
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike polycounter lvl 6
    8k for gaming will not happen anytime soon
    At current GPU hardware progress of 30% gain per generation every 2 years
    With 4k 60 FPS being still a struggle for 10 TFLOPS GPUs such as a 1080 Ti, 8k requiring 400% as many pixels to be rendered and consoles clearly never using the latest GPUs, thats like 2030 at best
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer polycounter lvl 14
    8k gaming and 120 fps? seriously? i doubt it. 

4K is still something we can't afford nowadays unless if you pay a kidney.

• Obscura
    Online / Send Message
    Obscura insane polycounter
    Probably that 8k/120fps/ray tracing wouldn't happen simultaneously. Probably you could play lowpoly indie games on 8k on 120fps, aaa games with one or two ray tracing features on 1080p on 30fps or some other combination of these. That would sound more realistic.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    That just means it'll use HDMI 2.1 , which supports 4K at 120fps, or 8K at 60fps (Technically it also supports 10K though I'm not sure at what framerate). Raytracing tech is almost certainly going to be the biggest barrier to reaching higher resolutions/framerates in the coming generation, but games that forego that very well could pull it off (Some PC gamers are already running games like Rocket League at 8K).
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter lvl 9
    Last I remember reading about cloud gaming were not technical limitations but rather commercial perspective.   With consoles  you are already get a hardware for a half of its real price and pay for it within game purchases.  Now  all the expensive gaming hardware + electricity + servers will be on Google side.    It 's like render farms  for movie rendering . I doubt it might be cheap enough to turn into mass market.

U4 struggles to support proper VR or multi camera rendering . How many gaming pc they are going to buy to provide such streaming .

Bet it would be like car sharing . Nobody is going to give up his/her own car  in foreseeing future. It will be just a niche.   At least till a special generation of  super computers  and game engines will appear allowing  playing  in parallel on same hardware
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    I see cloud streaming being great for demos and free trials of games before buying. Don't have to download anything, could really get people on impulse purchases.