Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Old fashioned armchair (Nightmare)

MrJar0
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone.
I'm working on this prop right now.
An old fashioned armchair. It's supposed to be a cloth version. The type of furniture grandmas in the 70s-80s had.
I want the whole thing to have a creepy feeling. I think the spider legs are perfect for that. I want the whole thing to look like the spider is coming out of the armchair, yet at the same time out of another dimension. To achieve that, i plan to add a hole in the lower cushion. I'm not sure yet whether it will be an actual physical hole or some texture trickery.
As of right now all of the seams / stitching are missing. Same goes for the hair on the spider legs.

This is a sort of mid poly version.
At this point I'm wondering. How do people add details? From what I can tell, people usually sculpt them. Is there a particular reason for that? Assuming I'm going to create a low poly and bake the details anyway, why not bake at this stage and add them directly in the texturing program?
By details i mean surface imperfections. Stuff like seams, stitching, scratches and so on. Nothing that would change the silhouette.

I am still reading through the technical part of the forum, so if my questions are answered there please post a link to the topic.

Replies

• MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    Here is an update.
    I finally had some time to work on this thing again.
    Changed some minor things. Moved the legs a bit. Some stuff is still missing.
    Gave the thing the first layer of details. So far it looks positively disgusting.

From here on out I'll add more and more details.
    Still need to figure out how i want to add the hole into the lower cushion. Right now the legs kind of just stick out.
    Also the thing looks a bit too new and too clean. I'll be working on that part next.

Opinions and criticisms are always welcome.

• MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    Slowly but surely the thing starts to look somewhat decent.
    Added dirt, scratches and rivets.

Next i will be refining the legs. They are too clean right now.
    Not sure yet whether or not they need hair.

The armchair might need some more damage. Then again i want it to look used, not old and broken.

As always opinions and criticisms are welcome.
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    That looks actually kinda cool and creepy as intended xD 

Yea if you added some wear and use on the chair that'll look great. I like the shine on the spider legs.what did you render it in? 
  • MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    @akiratang i rendered it in marmoset toolbag 3

I'm not entirely sure if adding damage would make sense. Those chair would get dirty as hell before you could see even the slightest bit of fabric damage. Maybe I'll add a few small scratches here and there. 

Here is a version without the spider legs. It looks just like i wanted. An old fashioned armchair. It clearly has been used and then forgotten. One would never expect a spider to try and grab you when you sit down.

• MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    Most likely final WIP
    I decided not to add any more damage to the chair. I don't want it to look damaged.
    Added hair to the legs. From what I found out, spiders with that type of legs don't have much hair on them.
    Fixed some issues with the cloth. In some places the pattern was all over the place.
    Added a seam on the inside of the shoulder parts. It might technically be unnecessary but i think it breaks up the monotony a bit.

So i think i am pretty much done. There is nothing i particularly want to change or add.

If anyone notices something i might have missed, please do tell.

As a side note. Is the amount of pictures too high? I sort of like to show the model from all sides. I think it is easier to judge that way whether something is out of place.

As always opinions and criticisms are welcome.
  • MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    Finally the prop is finished.
    I fixed some final things and changed the hair. It was a bit too thin and insubstantial.
    That was a fun little project. I had a few other little project planed, but it appears that art war 3 started.

More angles, close ups, wireframe and marmoset viewer can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2erPv

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Positively revolting. I hate it. In a good way. 

But I think you should take this idea further in the future. Build out a full-scale badass boss monster from this basic idea.

One small critique, sorry this is coming after you are already finished but hopefully it's useful anyway -- an arachnids exoskeleton is like a suit of armor -- each joint is a separate piece. So you can model the leg pieces that way : 

and, just opinion, but I think some exaggerated overlap at the joints and maybe some spiky protrusions gives a more "nightmarish" look. Kind of like you might see on crab legs.

• MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    @BIGTIMEMASTER
    Thank you for the criticism.
    I do agree with you. The legs could have been done somewhat better. However the design was based on the Hobo Spider (i found the idea of a spider being a hobo amusing). To be more specific based on this spider.

I changed the color to better support the look of the joints and gave it a lot more hair.

The original idea was exactly that, to go more "nightmarish". The problem was that i just finished the Gramophone (Nightmare) and it already had a more underwater theme with the tentacles. I did not want to do a similar theme right after.

While the idea of a boss sounds intriguing, i much more prefer to create smaller props with an interesting twist.