Home Adobe Substance

SoMuchMaterials - Lighting and material baking in Substance Painter!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
[edit: a few versions ago i changed the name from SoMuchDiffuse to SoMuchMaterials as I have included a specular and gloss generator and now a DOTA 2 version!]

Hey friends! I've been working on this material for Substance Painter  to help make hand painted textures for a while now, and finally released it on Gumroad. Basically, I wanted to jumpstart making WOW textures but based on high poly data! The full set of features are listed at http://www.somuchmonsters.com/somuchdiffuse/ but a few notable ones are: 

-Customizable light rig up to 8 lights. They redistribute themselves evenly and have 2 rotations for horizontal and vertical rotation. 
-30 well tested presets for a wide variety of useful materials(various fantasy game skins, metals, and helpful default materials to get you started!)
-Paremetrized values for AO, thickness, position gradients, cavity, specular, specular edges, gloss
-Post material bake hue, saturation and lightness controlled by parametric mask
-Some fake-n-bake cel shading with both blend bias and softness

I'd love feedback on this even if it's just based on what you see! What would make it more useful to you? How could i present it better? 

A quick timelapse of the material in action:

And here are a few of the material presets and their inspiration!

Right now, its' diffuse only--my plan is to keep extending this, first with the addition of spec/gloss workflow. After i get that working nicely, I'll keep working towards a PBR workflow too. 

Replies

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    thank you, at work we have been using the baked lighting filter a lot to create stuff for mobile-vr but I think this might just be the next best thing for us. thanks for making this. will check it out.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    This looks so cool!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran! Great! Lemme know when you get some time to peep it if you come up with any requests or things I've missed!

Taylor: thanks man! o/
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    This looks so cool, I'm checking it out :smile:
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MMKH! Thanks! 

I just updated the package on gumroad to version 4. Update list below:

v.4

+New Features

>SMM_SoMuchDota

-New Material Generator for use with DOTA2 assets!

-Presets were customized to be more in line with the greyscale masks but still allow color affect in specular. Yay!

+Added overrides for baked specular, baked diffuse, gloss max value override and Normal format(Opengl vs DirectX)

+Added first implementation of height map support. Chainmail away my friends!

-Has height intensity that will also affect the Tangent Normal intensity!

+Added SMM_Height_Helper smart material to hold and hide your height anchors!

-Requires and anchorpoint BELOW the material generator in the stack AND for that anchor point to be selected in the generator

+All material funcitons that have an Enable switch now hide themselves if your turn them off! Your eyes, they are saved!

+New Template

SMM_SoMuchDota --it's for Dota!

+New Presets

Dota Mask Presets: Fabric Flat, Fabric Shiny, Skin, Metal Flat, Metal Matte, Metal Shiny

+Bug Fixes

>All materials now have their AO options enabled properly in the specular section. Sorry!

Here's a clip of the more notable parts!