Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Mixer quirk/bugs?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I'm running into some quirks (maybe bugs?) and would love some better understanding. Sorry in advance if any or all of this has already been covered.

1. When making a set of materials for landscape, I've found that after I export a texture set and load up another, more often than not the Mixer stalls during opening. This doesn't bother me too much because Mixer loads very quickly, and I can just select which material to load, but it isn't ideal.

2. I see a lot of tutorials referencing the alpha masking but I just updated my Mixer today and still haven't seen those buttons on the bottom. Is it in Beta and hasn't dropped yet? I haven't been following the news too much. ( I'm using Quixel Mixer 2018.1.5.1 )

3. I can't seem to input a value that begins with a decimal point. I can type the number and then edit with the decimal point before the number, but no matter how many times I hit the key, I can't begin an input with a decimal.

4. The "export maps" button doesn't show up unless the Mixer is in full screen. I often don't use full screen mode for a couple of reasons but regardless, I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just a quirk/ bug. Worth mentioning: it's hardly a pain but seems worth mentioning here.

5. Is there no undo/ ctrl + z option? Maybe "undo" is a different hotkey?

6. When I hover my mouse over the buttons, I don't see a pop up that displays the name of the button. I occasionally confuse some of the symbols and without knowing the command for "undo" I've found that this just slows my work down from time to time.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    2) That's because you're not running the version of Mixer which includes the features you're after. 

Please visit the link below to download the pre-release of Mixer 2018.2. There's some bugs still to iron out, but it's a chance for you to play with the new features.

WIN: https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/share/bJheo3hOKQ/ 
    OSX: https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/share/Zyrh8hndF7/ 

Most notable features are:
    - Layer masks (both image and paint masks)
    - Duplicate (Ctrl/Cmd + D)
    - New hotkeys (X to flip mask painting value, Middle mouse + S to change brush size, Middle mouse + F to change brush fill, Middle mouse + O to change brush opacity)
    - Improved eraser
    - Bunch of fixes

Thanks for bringing this up - there's a few issues here we weren't aware of. I've forwarded them to our developers on your behalf.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for your info. A couple more questions.

When I open the Mixer, it tells me I have the most up to date software but you provided a link that I did not see on the website (thank you, by the way). Is there a way to stay informed with up-to-date software releases?

Also it looks like Quixel Mixer cannot open projects saved with an earlier release? Is that right? Because that's kind of a major hurdle. And is there no "undo"? It wasn't addressed but I'd really like to know if I'm just overlooking it.

Similar to my previous bugs post, in addition to not being able to load a mix after I export, I now have a bug where selecting a material to load sometimes causes the program to stall. When either of these things happen I have to restart the program. The first bug is consistent and therefore predictable; I'm not sure what triggers the second which makes it much more problematic. 

And of course all of the aforementioned problems continue to persist but I recognize that bugs take time to resolve.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Beta releases can be found on our Art Community on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/quixeltoolsgroup

Mixer cannot work with old mixes from several versions ago. They're no longer compatible with the new updates.

In terms of bug reports, I highly recommend sending in a ticket to support@quixel.se so I can have it routed directly to our developers for consideration. Polycount is more of a general discussion forum, even this subforum - our support system allows you to be put directly in touch with our teams working on the issues you're encountering. :)