Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch APU Scout and her Pet - nsfw

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Svartberg quad damage
Hey guys. I've been noodling with this project for some time. It's still in the ideation phase and I'm changing stuff as I go.

As you might have guessed, this is an Overwatch style character.
It's planned as an african female hero, the original idea came from the african anti-poaching units, that are basically armed regiments designated for wildlife protection. 

Trying to figure out how to do hair. It's a large blockout shape right now, I'm planning to do a heap of frizzy hair partly in a loose topknot.

As I worked on the concept I've decided to add a little flavour of classic scout. The neck tie, the short rolled up sleeves and generally small height and stocky physique.
As for the general character vibe, imagine Amethyst from Steven Universe. Brave, carefree and somewhat in your face.  That would be a pretty good personality reference I'm trying to portray here.

Also with the character herself there's also a sidekick pet. A giant hyena, but not very menacing. I want to make it closer to something like a Zootopia character. With a personality that correlates with the main character.

As a side note, I'd like to ask your opinion. 
I think it's very crucial to design all of this in line with overwatch key values and message 
While working on the concept I couldn't help but feel that having a canine animal be an openly aggressive force (like biting and stuff) feels kind of out of character for this universe. It's a little too 'real' and gnarly in my opinion. I'd like to hear your ideas on this topic if you don't mind. 

Anyway, this is a pretty long journey, so If you've got any feedback or some suggestions I'd very much like to hear them.

Cheers :)

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use a trained hippo.

It'd be funnier.

Also make it mountable, so it implies and explains how the character attacks.

Because I can't tell how this character attacks.
  • Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    Oh wow, this is so much better than hyena. It's actually perfect! Thank you so much Brian!

On a side note. I remember you asking about marmoset render settings in my other thread. But i never could @ your name correctly, so I'm not sure if you saw them. Did you?
  • Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    So i've been tweaking the outfit here and there and also trying to figure out the way I'm going to do the hair. It's looking more like the intended result, but still ways to go. 

I've tried to underline the slight flair of carelessness with loose hanging suspenders and scarf tied around the waist. I'd also like to try and implement very non-intrusive tribal designs into the scarf to underline the cultural motif. It's a little into the Doomfist's playing field, but hopefully I can make it unique enough to make it her own thing. Maybe I could add some tassels like the military shemagh scarves have. They could be a nice physics elements in character movement. However, they also could draw unnecessary attention to the waist area being a small and rhytmically repeating detail. We'll just have to see :)

Haven't started working on the animal yet, will probably do that next.

• Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    So guess what? An Update

• Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    Here come dat girl!

Did the blockout for the hippo and added some quick color scheme polypaint. Gotta do the weapon now and can start cleaning up.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    That's just so good!! The all concept is already super cool but the execution is nice too, look forward to see more, even some lore could be a plus :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Aggh! Now this is refreshing.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Just realized those female APU really exist: 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mamba_Anti-Poaching_Unit
    http://www.blackmambas.org/

, i guess it ll be a good base lore !
  • dreadleft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreadleft greentooth
    Hippo is super cute:)
  • Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    Thank you guys :)

I'm finally content with the weapon blockout. It's been a VERY long process mainly because I don't have the slightest idea how to do it :)
    Now that I've designed my first gun, I have a whole new level of respect for weapon artists because let me tell you: It's really not easy. 

What I was aiming for is a more or less classic rifle/carbine design, but I wanted it to be a mix of non-deadly weapon and a reference to something more basic. So, after many and many iteratons I landed on an idea of a Bolas gun. 

The three prominent petal elements are meant to signify that this particular weapon will shoot 3-sided Bolas that is usually meant to tangle the target and tackle it down. After some thinking I've decided to stay on a 'digital' version, meaning, there won't be actual 'rope-and-weights' charges, the ammunition will be essentally a standard thing like an energy capsule or something similar. 

The barrel design seems to be the weakest point at the moment but I'm confident I can solve it on the cleanup stage.

• priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle
    Reminds me of Evolves Trapper Class,  really like the Hippo
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Really good idea to go with a kind of bolas shooter but yeah the reloading system could have a bit more love; 

It shouldn't be a simple pivot point i think, it makes the weapon look a it unrealistic; usually the mechanism looks a bit more like that ref ^ I would suggest to take inspiration in these kind of shapes. Good luck!
  • Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    @priderice Thank you!) I did take some inspiration from that character. :)

@Olingova I can't believe I missed that! That's a really good point, thank you.