Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sand Dunes PBR (Done)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Finnn greentooth
Hey polys,

I am working on a sand dune material and I'd like to get some feedback.
I had struggle to get the  wind erosion looking right.
Please tell me what you think and if possible give me some ideas that I can work wtth :) 

Replies

• Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
  • LoganTMT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganTMT triangle
    To be honest I think it's a little too large grain, it should be quite small grains of sand since it's dry sand not wet.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    I really haven't a clue as to what scale this is supposed to be.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    I really haven't a clue as to what scale this is supposed to be.
    That is some good feedback too, you are defently right. Maybe the dunes are to big.
    It is supposed to be somewhere around 2x2meters maybe less
    So I will try to match the scale of the reference.
    Thank you for your feedback!

LoganTMT said:
    To be honest I think it's a little too large grain, it should be quite small grains of sand since it's dry sand not wet.
    I've been trying to achieve very small grain with fractal sum base at a very high roughness and sharpened. One grain of sand equals one pixel in this 4k texture. So what you see is the smallest scale I can get. But I think I have one noise unter it, that is a little bigger. Maybe I get rid of that one to emphasize the smaller grains more. Thanks for your feedback Logan!

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks good, I feel like the grain scale works well. Any view from an in-game camera won't be able to say the sand grain is too large. The streaks/weathering looks great as well.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Looks good, I feel like the grain scale works well. Any view from an in-game camera won't be able to say the sand grain is too large. The streaks/weathering looks great as well.
    Thanks ! I am working on the weathering right now, been trying some slope blurs and it works okay.
    Also I smoothed the dunes a lttile. I am getting there :P