Low poly sci-fi gun (need opinion)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Optimus triangle
could i get away using a texture for this sci-fi gun? i have 314 vertices, and 628 tris.

Maybe if i cranked up the resolution then i could?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi quad damage
    Do you have more even turnaround images of the pistol?  Photos that would help us examine it more closely.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    sure, i'll make a turntable render
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    The gun already looks textured admittedly?  What did you mean by "texture?"
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    The gun already looks textured admittedly?  What did you mean by "texture?"

you've trolled yourself :x. the mechanical parts, hand grip, everything is just a texture.

i hope it was convincing?
  • cromadbomber
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 4
    What is the point of this post?
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    What is the point of this post?

i'm asking if this would pass as a low res sci-fi gun
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks alright, if that's just an albedo texture.  Passes off as something someone made in a day or two without much design assertion.  A rush job, not a portfolio piece.

Hoping to see doper stuff from you.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    thanks, i just finished modelling an ak-47, will be texturing, and learning substance painter
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Good on ya.
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG polycounter lvl 4
    You should post the AK on here for critique before you go into the low poly phase or even texture it.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    JoshuaG said:
    You should post the AK on here for critique before you go into the low poly phase or even texture it.

i won't be posting here for critique, go to my artstation if your interested:https://www.artstation.com/twinblade3d. i won't be making a low poly version, and i have already textured it. while your their you could also leave a like ;)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Twinblade/Optimus, Joshua is being wise about the advice.  You'l find much more effective and consistent critique here on Polycount than Arstation.  Artstation does sometimes have critiques between users, but this is where the wolves come to feast.  Artstation's predominately still a show-off platform, not an aggressive discussion.  It's one of the few reasons why I've been able to improve as much as I did as a junior artist: http://polycount.com/discussion/113859/erasam-emberhart-obese-blood-elf-engineer-blizzard-student-art-contest-2012-charac/p1

Regardless.

I don't think you're done texturing this.  It's looking rather flat.  The metal portions aren't reading as metal and the wood doesn't seem literally reflective of its real world example.  The top housing's back also doesn't end like that as a cylinder, if you google examples of the standard Russian design.

What is your real name, btw?  Not the brand.

• Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    this is entirely off topic, i didn't post it on artstation for critique. we are talking about a sci fi weapon. but thanks for the critque, i realized after staring at an ak-47 for 4 hours it was not a cylindrical shape. by then i had already finished modelling it
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    You should go back and remodel the receiver sections.  There's enough AK-47s online that it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.  It will look a LOT better if it's accurate in this case.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    i will keep that in mind for the next gun i will model. i somehow got 6 likes....soooo.....
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't rest too long on the Likes laurel; they be trifling at that volume.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    6 likes isn't that big, certainly more than i've got in a while...
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll get more likes if you apply some solid feedback to your assets before you finish them.
     I highly suggest you should start modeling real world weapon instead of making up some "sci-fi" variant because it's easier to make something up than to try to recreate something. Your AK looks nothing like an AK-47 because of that. 
    Take my word for it and post your next project on here, have it be a real world prop, gun, etc, don't add your own flair to it, and make the first pics be of the blockout. That way we can critique it so your high poly, or low poly, can be properly done. 
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    JoshuaG said:
    You'll get more likes if you apply some solid feedback to your assets before you finish them.
     I highly suggest you should start modeling real world weapon instead of making up some "sci-fi" variant because it's easier to make something up than to try to recreate something. Your AK looks nothing like an AK-47 because of that. 
    Take my word for it and post your next project on here, have it be a real world prop, gun, etc, don't add your own flair to it, and make the first pics be of the blockout. That way we can critique it so your high poly, or low poly, can be properly done. 

my AK-47 is not a sci-fi gun and i haven't added a flair to it, but thanks for the idea :).
  • Unknown_Target
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target triangle
    What's your strategy here man? Do you want to get into industry? Do you just want people to reassure you? Are you just messing around?

Guaranteed you won't make it with the attitude you're displaying now. You're not being professional at all.

A lot of people like to take comfort in stories of others where they say "everyone told me I couldn't do it, but I succeeded anyway!". I imagine after what I said in my first sentence that you might feel like you'll end up with a similar story.

The thing is, without the humility of accepting criticism and the wisdom of knowing when to just shut up and accept that others know more than you and are trying to help, you won't get far because you'll never get very good. You got six likes? My cat pictures get six likes. So what?

So either accept criticism if that's what you're here for, or don't waste people's time and admit that all you want is praise. That's not bad, mind you! If that's what you want then just say it. But don't pretend to want to improve and get feedback when you'll do nothing of the sort.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    look man, i'm just a 3D hobbyist, and i'd love to get in the industry one day, but until then, i'm practicing 3D modelling. i'd love for you and others to give some feedback  instead of accusing people of being unprofessional and messing around. i always accept criticism, whatever the case may be, but i don't like it when people come on to critique forums and accuse people instead of giving them critique on their artwork.

So make yourself useful and give some critique on the sci-fi gun. that's why i am here, and why you are here, right? i sure hope so.
  • Gobliness
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4
    Every time I see your threads you get overly defensive or are extremely dismissive. Unknown_Target gave you the best crit anyone could give you. Practice being humble.

Also if you want real critiques post some wireframes, references, position your models in more appealing ways, and set up your lighting better so we can see what we are looking at. I can barely see the components on your sci-fi gun. 
  • MPearson
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    Do not want to get myself involved in the above conversation, but.. to add to Gobliness's post, it might be beneficial for you to sign up to Sketch-fab and upload your models there, then embed the link here using the sketchfab button, that way those who want to give critique can see it in whatever angle they want, with wire-frame and textures, or without textures and can even look at the various textures you've applied. Plus, it's just a nice (additional) way to present your work! :D
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    the sci fi gun is just  a texture. no real bolts/screws on it.
  • danr
    Online / Send Message
    danr greentooth
    i actually figured out what you were asking in your original post (i think)

so it looks like you've modelled a gun from some existing 2D concept art, and then cut and pasted the concept art into a texture and then planar mapped it straight on from the side. And you're asking if this is okay

No, no it isn't.

1) it's stealing and 2) it looks shit. Look at it smeared across the top. Unwrap your model and texture it properly. This sort of shortcut will get you nowhere.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    well, it isn't stealing because i got it from a concept art,  and basically i wanted it to look like a low res sci fi gun
  • danr
    Online / Send Message
    danr greentooth
    lifting someone elses art and applying it directly onto your own, without permission or credit, is stealing. This isn't up for debate.
  • Gobliness
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4
    I literally can't with this guy...I can't believe that was the initial question. I'm out. 
  • MPearson
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    If that is what you have done, then you should credit the concept artist, and also it'd be worthwhile asking his/her permission. When going from concept art, the idea is that you model the asset based on the concept and texture it as accurately as you can with your own materials imo.

However, regardless of this it'd be better for you to unwrap and texture the asset correctly. Just because it's supposed to be low-res doesn't mean it should have sloppy texturing :)

P.S I'd suggest attempting to create your own texture for this, especially if you are using it as a portfolio piece :) In my personal opinion, it's not okay to just take other peoples art without permission and use it, unless they have documentation or clearly state that it can be used in their description which in this case it is not.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    Gobliness said:
    I literally can't with this guy...I can't believe that was the initial question. I'm out. 

thats not the initial question, if i could steal someones artwork. the question was, could i get away with using a texture instead of modelling each of the parts.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    this is exactly why i don't use polycount anymore.  open up a critique forum. get critique. get assholes who are critiquing your post instead of your artwork. get into an argument. rage quit. thats the cycle of each time i go on polycount. here i was thinking that people have changed since last time i was here.
  • MPearson
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    Optimus said:
    Gobliness said:

thats not the initial question, if i could steal someones artwork. the question was, could i get away with using a texture instead of modelling each of the parts.
    Yes, in fact most of the time textures are used for this sort of detailing. Have a look into using normal maps/height maps to make it look like they are part of the geometry, as using a flat texture alone doesn't really pull off the look imo.

What software do you use for texturing? Just Photoshop? If so, it may be worth having a look into Allegorithmics Substance software which you can get student versions of, as long as you can prove you are a student (if you are one).

https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy/education
  • MPearson
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    Optimus said:
    this is exactly why i don't use polycount anymore.  open up a critique forum. get critique. get assholes who are critiquing your post instead of your artwork. get into an argument. rage quit. thats the cycle of each time i go on polycount. here i was thinking that people have changed since last time i was here.
    Just to point out, I think they're getting frustrated and pointing out that you are being defensive regarding their criticism, rather than directly criticising your post. At least that is where the conversation/debate started.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    sure sure, i'm a student at the university of Antartica, and my name is Chris P. Bacon xD. for texturing, and modelling and everything, i use Blender 3D. but lately i've been looking into making some of my own textures. have a look: http://polycount.com/discussion/196020/carpet-texture#latest

• JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    Well there's your problem, plus you just flat out admitted on here that you did steal someone's art. How do you expect to "get away" with it? You won't get into trouble necessarily, but it's going to be frowned upon greatly. Not as much though as the way you've been acting here on this site.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    JoshuaG said:
    Well there's your problem, plus you just flat out admitted on here that you did steal someone's art. How do you expect to "get away" with it? You won't get into trouble necessarily, but it's going to be frowned upon greatly. Not as much though as the way you've been acting here on this site.

No. i clearly stated i don't want to steal anyone's art, read the next sentence. I am asking if i can get away with using a simple albedo texture instead of modelling each of the nuts and bolts. you are clearly misunderstanding this. please re-read the post so misunderstanding like this can be avoided and proper critique can be given.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Simply put, yet you can get away with using an albedo texture to texture the gun.  It's what other games have done as well underneath the umbrella of a certain art direction.

In my opinion, the design of it and the way you lit it doesn't make it impressive and that you could do more about the design and texture to make it look better.  I'd examine games like Wildstar or World of Warcraft to see examples of Albedo/Diffuse only texturd assets that are awesome.

• MPearson
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    To try an put an end to the discussion of whether comments are a critique or not a critique.. This may clear things up:

Critique of artwork: Try not to just lift and use concept art by other artists and apply it over the top of your model. This is frowned upon, especially when no permissions/credit is given to the original artist.

Critique of artwork 2: It seems like you have just planar mapped it on a specific axis (z?) and applied a texture directly to it from there, and the stretching of the texture across the top is extremely noticeable. So, it would be worth looking into how to correctly unwrap UV's (if you don't already know how to) and then apply Your own texture from there :)

Answer to your question/Critique of artwork 3: Yes, you can get away with using a texture for the nuts/bolts/screws but a normal map, height map to give the illusion of depth would be beneficial. Same with the grip, by creating the illusion of depth between each of the hexagon shapes.

Critique of post: Your question was a little unclear, try and elaborate a little more, for instance you replied to someone saying "can I get away with using a texture instead of modelling each screw/bolt individually". This would have been extremely helpful if you posted from the start. Basically try and ask all your questions in the original post to avoid confusion and answers that you are not particularly interested in.

Critique of post 2: As I previously mentioned, it would be really beneficial for you to post a variety of images from different angles, including some wireframe shots, and it would be extremely useful if you posted a sketchfab link to the model :) You'll get a lot more detailed critiques if people have more to go from.

If you have any more specific question feel free to ask, but the above pretty much covers everything that I can see in the original post and from the above discussions.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    Simply put, yet you can get away with using an albedo texture to texture the gun.  It's what other games have done as well underneath the umbrella of a certain art direction.

In my opinion, the design of it and the way you lit it doesn't make it impressive and that you could do more about the design and texture to make it look better.  I'd examine games like Wildstar or World of Warcraft to see examples of Albedo/Diffuse only texturd assets that are awesome.

alright, thanks man. i just used a color map, normal map wasen't working out so well. but great critique!
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest you should also post a thread on here for your AK.