Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Looks great! :)
    Making me work by clicking links :P Embed pictures? :D 
  • CrackRockSteady
    Elithenia said:
    Looks great! :)
    Making me work by clicking links :P Embed pictures? :D 
    +1 to this.  You'll get more eyes on your work and hopefully more replies if you embed some still images in the thread.  A lot of people (myself included) will often back right out of a thread if viewing the work requires watching a video or going to an external link.
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Good stuff. I looked at it for a while because I kept having the feeling that something was missing. In the end I believe the two things that could use some improvement are the lighting and atmosphere. 

The lighting (and therefor the composition) is distracting. You seem to have a lot of screens/lights at the same brightness. In the still images your composition shows you want to draw attention to the door on the left, but the brightest parts of the shot are the screen in the middle bottom area, and on the right, which are about the same (very bright) brightness. Lighting and composition go hand in hand, if you don't plan your lighting when you are planning your composition you can end up with something a bit messy. In the future I would advise doing a lighting pass when you do your greyboxing/blockout. This will help you focus your detailing (more modelled detail in your focal areas), and save you time later with lighting because all you'll really need to do is refine your lighting to take the materials into account. 

In my opinion you missed a great opportunity to give this scene some awesome dramatic lighting from the sky. You've got structures to give you some nice light shafts and really create something that blows you away. If you are looking for some lighting practice I'd advise deleting your lighting and start with just 1 directional light, do a bunch of test bakes with some atmospheric fog (subtle) and find an angle for the light that really draws attention to the best parts of your scene. Honestly, go watch Blade Runner (mostly the first one, but the second has amazing lighting as well), if you lit this like ANY of the scenes from those films it would be knockout.

You don't need vehicles and large moving equipment (though it is cool) to bring a scene like this to life and give it some character. Some subtle fog, some spinning ventilation fans, flickering lights, steam escaping a pipe, leaking water, all of these smaller details will give your scene much more character and life than some of what you have.

Also for a scene like this I would plan to take final renders from at LEAST 2 different angles. Seems like a lot of work to only ever show off one angle. I would also do a breakdown of those props for your portfolio. Showing the finished scene is great, but show potential employers how you made this stuff.

Keep it up!
  • Karu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karu polycounter lvl 6
  • Karu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karu polycounter lvl 6
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    In terms of the buildings and architecture, most of what you have is quite 'Even' throughout the scene. Try offsetting some more elements and adding in more groupings of things to follow more of a 70/30 (or whatever you choose) detail ratio.  Also go for more odd than even groupings and vary up the surfaces and structures. 

With this all being said, the underlying structure of a building in real life is often quite repetitive, so that in and of itself is ok, but Architecture typically builds onto and off of that intentionally. Think of what you want to emphasize (obviously entryways, but other elements will have importance as well) and where you want to do that. High contrast in light, color, and detail will all achieve a level of emphasis so maybe work out some ideas with paintovers or sketches to pump some more interest into your architectural compositions.
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    You can add some small balconies with hanging plants on the windows on your left! Or some safety/decorative railings so that people cannot jump off of them!
  • Karu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karu polycounter lvl 6
  • Karu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karu polycounter lvl 6
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter