Painter - Resolving Seams Between TextureSets

mod
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Dudestein mod
It's common in character work to split the head off into its own texture sheet so you get more fidelity on the face. Doing that obviously means it's going to be in its own TextureSet in Painter. How would I go about avoiding an obvious seam on the neck, between TextureSets? Let's assume the character is shirtless and there is no way to hide the seam behind anything, so it's a pretty unforgiving situation. AFAIK you can't paint across TextureSets or use the clone stamp tool across them. The two workarounds I'm aware of are:

1) Get it look as good as you can in Painter, then export all of your textures into something like Mari or Mudbox to do cleanup on the seam.

2) Put both the head and body on one really big sheet (4k I guess since that's the current limit in Painter) then reproject onto the separate sheets at the end.

Both sound like kind of a pain though, so I'm hoping for better ideas.

Replies

• myclay
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 6
    Painting across Texture Sets* is possible with Substance Painter.
    *revealing the hidden painted stroke(s)

paint into the invisible area/other Texture Set, copy the layer to the other TextureSet and it should show up.  Its probably a Bug in Substance Painter but could lead a way for them to implement this in a user friendly way.

EDIT;
    with the invisible strokelayer method, the Clone Stamp tool won´t work.
    But here is the result you can get with the same method of  the clip and using projection and an Alpha.

I wish to get a chance to work for Allegorithmic since its fun to find those helpful workarounds for their current products. :)

• rohMizuno
    Offline / Send Message
    rohMizuno Polycount Sponsor
    Hmm cool trick, but if it only works when the UVs are aligned between both sets it is a bit useless, as they will most likely never be that way on a realistic situation.
    That is indeed a annoying issue with SP. I think with the uv transfer work flow from substance designer painting in to a big texture and them transferring to smaller ones would not be so bad, but still a bit anoying. Let us know if you find a solution!
  • myclay
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 6
    Hello @rohMizuno, great concern. :)
    I tried it in a more complex case  more suitable for representing   @dustinbrowns problem.
    You would with my trick only have to make sure that the head and body meshes are perfectly aligned.
    The UV alignment of the different TextureSets is not important.

• rohMizuno
    Offline / Send Message
    rohMizuno Polycount Sponsor
    nice, if that is the case, sorry for presuming they had to be aligned.
    great discovery, I will try it myself next time I find my self with the same issue.
  • Dudestein
    Thanks for the replies. The workaround you've described is clever, and could work for simple things like drawing lines and placing decals, but for something more organic like skin, not being able to see the "invisible" area while you're painting is very frustrating and problematic. Again, I do appreciate the suggestion though.

@Froyok could you weigh in on this please?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok Polycount Sponsor
    Hi there,

I don't have a good workaround to provide here other than using tri-planar projection here to handle the seams (since the projection is global to the object).
  • Dudestein
    Thank you, I'll try that.
  • SkyGround
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    Still nothing changes. For years - it's impossible to paint something on different texture sets without seams. Tangent strokes don't work at all in that case. Photoshop 3d paint tools can do that for about 10 years
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast polycounter lvl 14
    Frustrating as this problem is, Photoshop isn't projecting multiple texture channels with a complete history that can be reprojected over an updated model with completely different uvs. It's not really a fair comparison.
  • SkyGround
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    Frustrating as this problem is, Photoshop isn't projecting multiple texture channels with a complete history that can be reprojected over an updated model with completely different uvs. It's not really a fair comparison.
    Sure! Because it's not modern 3d painting software. But it can paint on multiple meshes and UVsets. While 3d painting software called Substance Painter - lack of that critical feature. But developers sad that they working on that in 2014. And now we have nothing but some new software frome them (Alchemist)
    Fair comparsion - 3d coat, Mari - they can do that. 
  • Taylor Brown