Home Technical Talk

[3DSMax]- KeyHydra FREE WIthout DRM for 3DSMax 2020, 2021 & 2022

Replies

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    @rregula For the 3dsMax lag in viewport you should try to disable in the viewport settings something called adaptive or progressive quality I don’t remember exact name. Also personnaly I can’t use correctly « high quality mode »I stay in standard mode and never set textures higher than « 2048 » inside viewport properties. Even with my Titan Gpu.

Thanks for the kind words but i’m Just the guy with the ideas and vision. Vladimir And @Swordslayer are making it happen ! Onikanabo is a team.

i don’t understand what you want about extrude.
  • artofjavi
    Offline / Send Message
    artofjavi triangle
    Hello everyone!

A week ago @Cathodeus and I spoke about making a video modeling something using KeyHydra. I have been following KeyHydra for a while now, and I couldn't say no to the proposal. The first days I was very excited about it, but when I started to get into it as seriously as I am getting into it now, I knew it would be a huge timesaver, and that it made max a better software than it already is. Modeling is now more creative and straightforward. I don't want to sound like I am trying to sell it, but I encourage everyone reading this to give it a go, I am truly honest, you won't regret it.

As I mentioned above, we are now working on a video. I will take the model from high to final game res in it so that you can see what my workflow with KeyHydra is. I will be posting some process shots of the model I chose for the video.

Today I worked on the block out and a bit of the silhouette, I hope you like it!

PS: I am basing my model in an old dynamo. I thought the shapes could be interesting for Lazercut.

• artofjavi
    Offline / Send Message
    artofjavi triangle
    Hey! I made some progress for today. It has been a while since modeling was so fun to me. I couldn't find more angles for the reference image above, so I have been investigating other dynamos and I am now having to adapt my reference to others. Here is the progress for today:

I hope you like it and have a good day!
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @artofjavi I Just came back from Hollidays and i must say that this is really exciting ! Brilliant work !

While on Hollidays i worked on Keyhydra Website https://keyhydra.com/
    • Separated definitly Onikanabo.com and KeyHydra.com
    • Added SSL
    • Added direct connection to shop.
    • Users can now purchase directly on the homepage.
    • Licensing is easier to understand now.

We also worked on this :

"Dr.Oni"

He will be hable to answer complicated questions in a funny way [In the FAQ, Website, Etc ...]. Thumbs up to the comic artist "Manboou". She is also my wife in real life by the way ^^

• artofjavi
    Offline / Send Message
    artofjavi triangle
    @Cathodeus That is a very good bundle indeed. :)

Hey everyone, we have finished recording the video and are now working on the editing and voiceover. In the meanwhile, I decided to bake and texture the object (This part will not be in the video as it is not done with Keyhydra). It has some errors in the bake that I will fix next, it is literally a one click bake from marmoset right now. When that is fixed I can call it done.

So here it is. Have a great day!

• OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    It would be great to see the functionality from Blender MESHMACHINE implemented in Keyhydra. 
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @OccultMonk This will not happen, as our Friends from Kinematic Labs already made a 3DSMAX Plugin for that purpose and indeed it work great with KeyHydra. I proposed them a partnership for implementing it inside keyhydra (this is on hold). The good thing is that they are supporting it and bug fixing. ( this is less money out of my pocket :-)

I plan to make a video later showing it in junction with keyhydra :

http://hocuspocus-studio.fr/tools/product/meshinsert/

• LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    The meshinsert is not great for production, the shading artefacts that remains after the insert are awful.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @s1dk The affirmation you're doing here is a bit of a short. It depend on where and how users will use it [As allways for all tools]. I plan to do a video about KeyHydra Lazercut + MeshInsert + InsetSg.  But i'm currently working with Javi on his video series so it will be delayed.

I use Lazercut + MeshInsert on some props in my daily pipeline for Ubisoft and didn't met any unsolvable problem.
  • rregula
    Offline / Send Message
    rregula polycounter lvl 4
    Cathodeus  what is the difference between the Blender-boxcutter, keyhydra(lazercut) in which it exceeds the boxcutter over keyhydra(lazercut)?  are you planning to make a plug-in for similar CAD modeling? M3shmachine has interesting chips in terms of poly-modeling, will there be anything new in this plan, is there any rumors in autodesk ? 3ds Max die ?
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @rregula I love Blender but i'm not a big user of it [i never used Meshmachine for exemple, an just tried boxcutter once]. Other polycounter can probably spot the differences better than me. But to me the main difference is that keyhydra Lazercut or not is fully compatible with entire 3dsmax features including all modifiers. For exemple all cutters can be modeled as they are editable poly objects ^^. I think nobody yet spotted that. [and i didn't wanted to talk about it too much].

Also i repeat myself but Wheelctrl + Keyhydra shortcuts are by far the best improvement you can get.

We do not try to make a plug-in. We improve max in a way that make sense for max logic.

We are planning to improve Max with keyhydra in all areas. And for exemple we just added a new drop down to keyhydra Lazercut and re wrote modeling modes wich are now fully interractive. [Only available inside the dev build actually].

I try to improve 3D modeling inside max, we do have our really own path.

3DSMax is not diying at all ... Autodesk just hired a lot of developpers and 2020 will be good [Just watch Arnold + gpu from gamescom].

We are in close contact with Autodesk and i know that things are moving in the good direction [too slowly but moving].
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @Cathodeus, my affirmation is not short, the insetmesh doesn`t give good shading and topology on curved surfaces, thats why I saied its not ready for production.
    Just look at that mess. That`s not production ready for me.

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @s1dK Of course in the exemple you provide it doesn't work. But i doesn't mean that the tool doesn't work at all. It will work in lot of other cases. Production ready do not mean beeing hable to do miracles.
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Cathodeus I have the Kinematic Labs plugin. I do not only mean that functionality. There seem to be some other good ideas in Meshmachine. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZPs9CMQPQw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38X-Fm2RioY
  • rregula
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus people with autodesk are going to please people with gamedev or even 3ds max will be in the future only for archviz? it scares me the most. I do not want this 3d package to be designed only for architectural visualization, all of their innovations that came out were only for the audience of archhiz. there are a lot of requests on their forum, but they do not seem to hear that it is necessary to move in that direction modeling. really want them to fix, the performance of the 3ds max work, just made "uvw unwrap" more qualitative or even separate, and of course all the new chips in the modeling, there are so many obvious mistakes that even write laziness)
  • coven
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    rregula said:
    Cathodeus people with autodesk are going to please people with gamedev or even 3ds max will be in the future only for archviz? it scares me the most. I do not want this 3d package to be designed only for architectural visualization, all of their innovations that came out were only for the audience of archhiz. there are a lot of requests on their forum, but they do not seem to hear that it is necessary to move in that direction modeling. really want them to fix, the performance of the 3ds max work, just made "uvw unwrap" more qualitative or even separate, and of course all the new chips in the modeling, there are so many obvious mistakes that even write laziness)
    Hi rregula, 

While we do have a lot of customers working in arch vis, it isn't the only area we are focused on or of course the only customers we have. We do look at the ideas page found here. You can vote on existing ideas  or create new ones if you have other areas you feel need focus.  You should see that there are several ideas that have been implemented already, and we are always looking at that list.

I also welcome you or anyone to join our beta if you would like to have a more direct contact.

Ok, enough from me. This is suppose to be about Keyhydra and the fantastic work they are doing. :smile:

m
  • thebinhle
    Offline / Send Message
    thebinhle polycounter lvl 7

play Sud-D with InsetSG (KeyHydra). It's better than a Quad Chamfer script
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @coven Hello Martin, thanks for the kind words and the answer. You're welcome on this thread.

@rregula I'm not working for Autodesk in any case. I have  good relationship with them actually and had some really good discussion with some of their developers or Managers [Laurent]. I'm also part of their beta program as beta tester while my teamate are a bit more than simple beta tester [@swordslayer].

I hope to be hable to have business relationship later [because it want KeyHydra to live without me and my own money].

Actually we are at same level than all other users. I mean : everybody can show Autodesk what is broken and what can be improved or fixed]. The only difference maybe is that we decided to fixed it ourselves. And i built a team for that. Because if i'm stronger, Nadeo team is stronger too, and our games will be better.

@thebinhle I love what you made. That is sub-d mastering here. Yes Insetsg, will do better job than quad chamfer on good topology. Insetsg cannot teach users how to subd. [Hum that could be a good feature, i should try to hire David Copperfield].
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello All,

I started thinking hard of some changes 6 months ago. Because we've spent too much money, and efforts on DRM [licenses systems and protections]. Which leads our clients to have problems of installations, not being hable to use it, etc ... Onikanabo team prefer developing new stuffs and concepts, our goal is to be fast not being stucked [and DRM are kind of gluing us].

And I prefer spending money on KeyHydra features and efforts on tutorials, documentations & conception. Instead of helping people to set their firewall.

So we are thinking of moving to NO DRM [code will stay encrypted but people will not need internet to use it]. And will be hable to install it on as many machine they own [as long as it is personal usage].

So this might kill our buisness, or not ... I don't know actually.

I think spending money on creativity, and innovations is a better deal for our users.

Here is how we are thinking about the new system :smile:

• Old build will be free.
    • We will offer a paid access to latest updates, together with a dedicated forum. 
    • 2 months  4,99    euros
    • One year 29,99 euros

Service will include :
    • Access to monthly build.
    • Access to dedicated forum [Talk with us, participate to the dev.]
    • There will also be bonuses like Tutorials [only available to clients], scripts and macros, keyhydra shortcuts, new tool access, etc ...
    • We will provide support.

What do you think guys ? Will you be subscribing ?

Massimo

• rregula
    Offline / Send Message
    yes this is a great solution, it would be great to work with keyhydra without internet connection, this at times increases the desire to work in it.
  • rregula
    Offline / Send Message
    delete message
  • rregula
    Offline / Send Message
    delete message
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    What means "Old build will be free."  What old build? Anything that is not the last build? I guess not but just asking what old build means.
    When this DRM change will be done?
    Subscription expired means right to use the program but not updates, or not being able to use it at all?
    Demo version will be yet available?
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    We don’t know when and how actually. This is why I want to discuss about it now with polycounters and clients.

currently the cost of DRM protection is as high. Than the money brought. This make no sense at all. 

And DRM are boring for clients.
    I want people to get hands on keyhydra because I know it is highly valuable. I want my clients to be hable to use it without restrictions.

No DRM mean everybody can use it even people who do not help us at all.

Trial will no longer exist as older build will be free.

I need to find a way to make people happy to support our efforts. Because for us it cost real money. 

• OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I really like the idea of using it without an internet connection. There are lots of plugins that have copy protection but no need for an internet connection. (Sometimes only once when activating). If you do frequent updates it's easier for people to just buy it then try to find an 'unofficial' version for each update. Also, a freelance (indie) license vs a full studio license would make it available at a lower price point. You could maybe pass some of the lower costs of removing the DRM to the users. The yearly update/maintenance is quite expensive at the moment and reducing the price a bit would increase adoption and maintenance users.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @Occultmonk Thanks for the advices. Allowing our users to use keyhydra without internet connection is my top priority. maybe we will require only one check per build installation. I'm also working on some stuff that will make the effort to find "unofficial" version usless and boring.

About the cost, you can think that it is expansive but it is not and i know it. Current Keyhydra cost is not far from One Hundred thousand euros [And maybe we already passed that bar]. So if spending 29,99 is expansive from a user point of view than what should i think.

in theory we should sell it like this based on the real dev costs :

• Keyhydra shortcuts : 100 euros minimum
    • Keyhydra lazercut :     29,99 euros minimum
    • Keyhydra wheel ctrl :   29,99 euros minimum
    • Inset sg modifier :        14,99 euros minimum
    • Linear clone modifier :   4,99 euros minimum
    • Chamfer fix modifier :     2,99 euros minimum
    • Volume slicer modifier :  4,99 euros minimum
    • Upcoming viewport mode :  9,99 euros
    • Modeling modes :                9,99 euros
    • Macro pack :                        9,99 euros

• Total :             217,91 euros --> And we offer it at 29,99 a year !!!        

• The price is based on other similar product price on internet. Ok they propose a perpetual license for that price but we do add feature everyweeks and real innovations everymonths.   

But yeah i will allow people to subscribe for less time wich should mathematically make it more easier to try. exemple : 9,99 for 4 months.

And for this price users will receive even more values like tutorials from pro artists, explaining how they use Keyhydra in their daily workflow.

First one will be javier benitez [he worked on red dead redemption 2], we are finishing the video series and it will be great !
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    Most of the people are not interested about the interface section of the program. In fact it is just the opposite, a problem as it cannot be excluded of the installation. It would be less problematic if it is included in the package but you can exclude it from the installation. I know it shares libraries, but the libraries could be installed. 

Price is also dependent of how many you sell, and in this early stages the focus should be to create a user base and to make easy for the people to know it and integrate it in their workflow. If the tool becomes a basic tool in their workflow then you have captured a market space.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    We do have actually a good "active user base" (real clients activating KeyHydra at least once per day). Active users is Couple hundreds, while curious Trial Users are more than the thousand. Lot of our clients (the paying one) are intrested by the shorcuts part. And use it everyday. In fact actually when I ask our user (the one that pay and use it everyday)

What do they use the most ?

The answer are as is :smile:

1. Shortcuts and WheelCtrl
    2. InsetSg
    3. Lazercut

But if I ask why did they purchased Keyhydra the answer is totally different 

1. Lazercut 
    2. InsetSg

Nobody purchased it for shortcuts or WheelCtrl but this is what they really use everyday and love ❤️ 

So ... 

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message

Share & Subscribe to our Channel.

Classroom will open soon.

• artofjavi
    Offline / Send Message
    artofjavi triangle
    I agree with the above.
    I was really interested in keyhydra for the inset sg and lazercut. I now love those but I also discovered a great tool that shortcuts is. So it really is an advantage for us. 

I would encourage people to try the whole bundle and really try to understand it. At the beginning I was also a bit skeptical, but really, I understand why Massimo is so excited about it. It has true potential.

Also, it is a pleasure to do this videos! If you have any questions, let us know :smile:

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to be clear, just in case ... Javier isn’t a Onikanabo employee at all. He is a Keyhydra user.

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message

First Classroom video is out By JavierBenitez : Blockout-01

In this video Javier is using Multitap Shortcuts, WheelCtrl, and Lazercut

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    In this video Javier continue the blockout. He use Keyhydra Multitap Shortcuts and Lazercut.

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    In this video Javier is using KeyHydra Lazercut, KeyHydra Shortcuts, and InsetSG Modifier [for auto bevel].

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    September 04 V0.68 – Released !

#[Fixed][Shortcuts] AZERTY profile had some error in Keycode [Fix was provided by Trebor user, tested and approved by Onikanabo].
    #[Improved][Shortcuts] : Macro ID fixer “all” is still broken but now it sometime work … Hard bug here. [Single macro ID fixer still working].
    #[Exp][Shortcuts] Viewport modes. [More communication to come about it].
    #[Exp][Shortcuts] Shortcuts can now be executed as [kind of] pie menus. [More communication to come about it].
    #[Added][Lazercut] Utilities DropDown.
    #[Fixed][Lazercut] Code re organisation. And debug.
    #[Fixed][WheelCtrl ] Modeling Mode can now be executed from MainMenu.
    #[Fixed][WheelCtrl ] Now reached expectations in terms of behaviours.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    3D Artist Magazine - "Issue 123" Page 24, Danny Mcgrath @musashidan Did dropped some usefull tips, and talked about KeyHydra. i wrote to the editor in order to get the right to publish it. [Due to copyright] if they allow me to i will publish it here. otherwise if you're the lucky owner of this 3d Mag you can read it yourself :-) Lucky.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday, Carrie Mok - Editor 3D Artist provide me the right to share the article from Issue Number 123 of "3DArtist" Mag. Where Danny talk about KeyHydra. Enjoy his beautifull artwork as well ! Thanks again Danny That was totally unexpected.

• thebinhle
    Offline / Send Message
    thebinhle polycounter lvl 7
    I just changed to wireless to wifi a few days ago. And can't active the keyhydra. I need your help.
    It's the best way to protect your production. I've sent an email to "sales@onikanabo.com". Looking forward to you
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @thebinhle Hello, i replied yesterday maybe 5 minutes after receiving your mail. I need more informations. Moving from Wired Lan, to wifi is not a problem at all for our system as long as you don't change PC, MotherBoard, Ethrnet Card, or Mac Address. In you specific case i still don't understand if you changed hardware or just moved from Lan to wifi.  Please don't answer here that is personnal informations. In case you don't receive my mails we can talk in private here on polycount.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message

In this video Javiershow how to use basic Lazercut Cutters to achieve rounder shapes.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Sorry if it's a silly question bit I couldn't find any mention of it in the documentation -  can I duplicate a cutter shape? 
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    poopipe said:
    Sorry if it's a silly question bit I couldn't find any mention of it in the documentation -  can I duplicate a cutter shape? 
    Would shift-cloning it work for what you had in mind?

Alternatively, if you want more control you can use Linear Clone.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    That was the first thing I tried but the duplicates didn't cut into the source object.

I guess it's a bug then...

While I'm here,  it'd be nice if you could type in the radius for circle cutters 
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe The clone need to be copied as instance. Otherwise it will not work. Can’t be a bug I used it this morning.

Also filet radius can be seen and typed numerically , I mean the feature is already there but I don’t remember how to :smile:@Swordslayer can you refresh my mind please. I never use that feature, cannot remember . Is it ctrl click on a manipulator? I’n Not on my pc actually can’t test to provide exact info.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably just me not having worked out how to use it yet.. I'll hopefully get a few more hours with it over the weekend to really give it a thrashing.

I'm nearly sold though :) 
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    It's shift+click on the fillet manipulator to input the value, with ctrl you can select multiple manipulators (and input the value for them all). Also, if you hold shift while dragging the fillet manipulator, the value will snap to nearest multiple of the value set in the spinner snap field in preferences:

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe I have updated the visual documentation on our website https://keyhydra.com/

• instg8r
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    I've been testing this out for a little bit now, but it seems like if you use the "split" option in LazerCut, you are not able to go back and edit it (you can edit the cutters, but it no longer affects the geometry). I thought I could do that, but maybe I'm missing something? Also, I get confused when something becomes uneditable...I'm not sure what happens that I can no longer adjust something. I'm really liking it, but it seems like I'm either missing/not understanding something or it's as designed.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @instg8r Everything will stay live as long as you don’t turn something to Editable Poly or collapse the stack. If you need to sculpt a cutter or the root object you need to add an “Edit poly” modifier. Never collapse, never resetxform it will brake the live boolean edition.
  • instg8r
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks @Cathodeus I'll give that a whirl. Also was wondering if there was an option to have no edge removal? Thanks again!