Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Merchants House - low poly

LATEST UPDATE:

Merchants_House_showcase.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

hi all

i have recently worked on this peace to spice up my portfolio, and could use some feedback on my texturing. don´t be shy :\

house.jpg

Reference
Merchant'sHouse.jpg

MH2.jpg

reference site: http://www.tabletop-world.com/merchantsHouse.php

To view my portfolio. www.3dgeek.dk

Best Klaes Simonsen

Replies

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    A really promising start Klaes.

Are you planning to add any of the items that are outside the pub? Things like the lamp, and cart bring more context to the piece. To add where is the lions head?! That'd be really cool.

keep trucking pal.
  • mrklaes
    Hi guys. Just did a marmoset render.. any feedback would be appreciated.

changes a bit on the chimney texture, did some alterations to different parts of the texture

screenshot006.png

screenshot009.png

screenshot010.png
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    This is a promising piece, here is my critique

- Push the scale of the upper floor and silhouette

- Style wise the pieces differ heavily, the original has a more noisy texture, wood grain is more detailed, the roofing is much more defined having darker edges to push out each slat.

- while I know its in the reference, I don't like the red brick work. Especially with the scale of the building. Classically these tudor-esque buildings would have been made out of wattle and daub (google it and see what you think)

- Some tesselation on the brick work could really help sell the brick work on the ground floor and also the chimney. In the reference the brickwork is practically popping out.

- You are missing the lions head on one of the walls and the surrounding bits like crates and bags. Consider adding them in.

- Put in a few grass alphas to help the floor pop and tweak the hue of the ground slightly, I think something a bit more yellow would look better

- Maybe tweak the camera FOV in final render to more closely match the reference.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty neat : ] I would throw in some additional meshes on the roof and the chimney, just to break the flat silhouette a little and make it feel more like the reference
  • mrklaes
    Some very good feedback, thanks... I have created a turntable for you guys to see from all angles.

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7j0r8wDDc&feature=youtu.be

(How come you cant put a youtube video in the chat room. Wierd:) )

James
    i will not be making the add object on the side, even thought I would like to, but i have to move on, on my next peace pretty soon.

Fozwroth
    Maybe for the corner stones.

AzzaMat
    - Push the scale of the upper floor and silhouette - do you mean the top wood peace?

- Style wise the pieces differ heavily, the original has a more noisy texture, wood grain is more detailed, the roofing is much more defined having darker edges to push out each slat. - i agree, I will look into the roof.

- while I know its in the reference, I don't like the red brick work. Especially with the scale of the building. Classically these tudor-esque buildings would have been made out of wattle and daub (google it and see what you think) - hmm, I am going to leave the bricks, but will differently keep it in mind for my next model.

- Some tesselation on the brick work could really help sell the brick work on the ground floor and also the chimney. In the reference the brickwork is practically popping out. - What do you mean here? more strong lines between stones?

- You are missing the lions head on one of the walls and the surrounding bits like crates and bags. Consider adding them in. - Is been considered. Is a bit scared of Zbrush at the moment.

- Put in a few grass alphas to help the floor pop and tweak the hue of the ground slightly, I think something a bit more yellow would look better - I did work on this, but it didn´t look great so deleted it, bit I agree, will try again
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    - Push the scale of the upper floor and silhouette - do you mean the top wood peace?
    By this I mean the total size difference between the upper and ground floor.
    - Some tesselation on the brick work could really help sell the brick work on the ground floor and also the chimney. In the reference the brickwork is practically popping out. - What do you mean here? more strong lines between stones?
    I would suggest editing the model, or use tessellation with a height map. Make your bricks stick out from the mortar.

Hope this helps
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    Also you normally can put in a youtube video, though its a bit hit and miss sometimes.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7j0r8wDDc[/ame]
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    I find the best way to get it to work is;
    - use the link that doesn't end youtu.be
    - delete "https://" otherwise it puts it in automatically as a url
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7j0r8wDDc
  • mrklaes
    AzzaMat

I thought about what you said, and got the idea of mixing the brick on the house, with the other structure you were talking about... It got me thinking about the small house on the side, as it would be a good place to fit it in, as a house like that, would be build in a lighter form for material. Anyway. what do you think about this solution.

house_1.jpg
  • mrklaes
    here is an update. I am going to make a few objects for the front bit. will spent the day on it tomoz.

I am not to happy with the grass, when it comes to some diffenrent agles.... :poly117:

screenshot014.png

screenshot011.png

screenshot012.png

screenshot013.png
  • pjl
    Look great, texture is nery nice, can we have a wireframe version plz?
  • mrklaes
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    I really like this piece, nice work :D
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its looking good though it needs to be blended better between the top and bottom layers.
  • mrklaes
    do you mean the roof is still to cartoony?
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Absolutely lovely !
  • mrklaes
    update on the roof.... Any thoughts?

screenshot018.png

screenshot019.png

screenshot020.png
  • riowahab
    Offline / Send Message
    riowahab polycounter lvl 11
    Loves it. I just finished almost same artwork like this. I need to see this as a reference in the first place :)
  • pjl
    mrklaes wrote: »
    Wire:

screenshot015.png

screenshot016.png

screenshot017.png

I can't see the wire version :P
  • mrklaes
    wireframe is working now
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood underneath the texture doesn't look inset at all. give it some depth.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mrklaes
    Hi all

Thanks for the feedback. Here is an update. It very close to be finished. Going to finish the last bits tomoz as i want to be ready for the BlzzardFest Challange.:)

i have added some assets to the picture, to give it more depth.

I also boltet, bended, some of the work, to give it more shape

please comment if you see anything that is out of place, as I see double at the moment and can´t see straight after to many hours of working.

screenshot024.png

screenshot025.png

screenshot026.png

screenshot027.png

screenshot028.png
  • mrklaes
    i have created this picture to showcase some of the different angels and textures. Hope you like.

Merchants_House_showcase.jpg
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Loooooooooooonnggg image!

Great job man, I really like how it came together. I think you really nailed it!

The only "I wish" that I can think of is that it would of been nice to have a shot with some dramatic lighting. But hey, the next one could, right?
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool mate, love the presentation sheet!
    I see the fish on the UV but i cant see the fish in the scene!
    WHERES THE FISH?!

Look forward to the next one pal.
  • mrklaes
    THE FISH GOT TIRED AND WENT TO BED :poly142: HAHA

It will be on for today.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Man this House looks very cool.
    I would like to see a little Town with those kind of houses where i can walk around in UE4 :) like Skyrim or Zelda ;)
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks awesome, presentation image is nice too. Great job :)
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    while the final renders look good your unwraps are terrible. You have an entire page dedicated to bits of wood!!! You have missed so many opportunities to optimise your texture sheet. How big are those texture maps anyway?

I don't understand how I am five posts into these images and no one has picked up on this.
  • mrklaes
    Thanks for all of the comments... :)

Gazu.. yeah it would be cool making a town like this. :thumbup:

JAMES. Look at the picture again... You got your fish :)

AzzaMat: this peace was to practice my texturering skills, So i gave myself a lot of room to really go deep in to the details... I know that ideally it should all be on one, 1024px, and one 512px...
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat, I think maybe you have worded it wrong about the UV's as they are definitely not terrible. All the space on each one has been filled and nothing has gone to waste. I think it was good move if focusing on the details was the main concern for now, then optimize for the next one maybe.
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry James but I really don't think I have. The textures are good, so is the model. But the UV map lets down the entire piece. There are large sections that have gone to waste, The build methodology is inefficient and time consuming and the texture size chosen shows a lack of understanding of current limitations. I see this with the students I teach all the time. Great on modelling and texturing, but they never put the time into unwrapping. People who are good at unwrapping don't need the extra room to go into the details, because they are smart about how they overlay, reuse texture space and optimise.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    As for the uv's just do the texture transfer trick and fill in those empty spaces. Not a big deal to fix at all!

My only crit is that the roof is looking very flat. Obviously its because you have a plane there and it is flat, but would I would do is give it some depth with a small extrusion, then find a few pieces of shingle and cut those out and extrude them on top to give even more depth. In your presentation you see how flat the roof is all over the place and it sorta lets down your painting which is really good. Nice work here man!
  • mrklaes
    AzzaMat. As I have said before, I gave myself room to work on my texture. Remember I am not one of your students, so take your tone down a bit.

BradMyers82: The reason I didn´t do typology on top of my model, to block out for example a tile on the roof, is because then I would have to do it consistently, on the chimney, stone on the lower house, bricks on the middle house, and so on, and then I would end up having much more polies than what I would have liked.

James: Thanks for understanding that sometimes an artist just need to practice his skills, and don´t worry so much about what the exact industry standard is. Sometimes an artist just needs the freedom to work.

87roach and Komaokc: Thanks my man.