Substance Painter - Latest Build - 2019.1

Replies

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Gigantoad said:
    oglu said:
    any news about UDIM support to paint multiple tiles in one go..?
    I've just about given up on that to be honest. They've been stringing us along for years on this, I'm beginning to think it won't/can't happen because of the application's architecture or something. Always the same answer, it's a huge job and we wanna do it right etc.

Happy to be proven wrong but that's the vibe I get.
    ofc they will :) Give them some time ! Allegorithmic isn't like Autodesk they actually do really care about their customers' need
  • Gigantoad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gigantoad polycounter lvl 5
    Burpee said:
    Gigantoad said:
    oglu said:
    any news about UDIM support to paint multiple tiles in one go..?
    I've just about given up on that to be honest. They've been stringing us along for years on this, I'm beginning to think it won't/can't happen because of the application's architecture or something. Always the same answer, it's a huge job and we wanna do it right etc.

Happy to be proven wrong but that's the vibe I get.
    ofc they will :) Give them some time ! Allegorithmic isn't like Autodesk they actually do really care about their customers' need
    Sure. I'd like to have it before I die though. When years and years pass, you have to wonder how much of a priority it is or whether it really is damn near impossible to implement.

It's just such a painful thing to be missing from a texturing application. The effect of it seem to run deeper than just UDIM. You can't paint across material zones even on the same UV map. A texture is being exported separately for each material even though it's all on the same UV tile. It's just absolutely bewildering. There's an official video explaining how to merge textures after the fact in Substance Designer... think about that, an official workaround suggesting to merge textures in another application, every single time after you exported from SP. And it's not like assigning multiple materials to one mesh is an alien workflow. The need to create material id maps, having texture sets as an isolated thing rather than just a selection of polygons, that is alien.

Don't get me wrong though. I bought into the Allegorithmic suite despite all that because I love what they're dong. Awesome software at incredible prices and dreamy licensing options.
  • Wisegold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wisegold polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Guys,
    I updated my Painter to version 2018.2.1, but when I switch to texture view with F3, I can`t see the texture just a grey square...
    Help me ! Please
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Wisegold said:
    Hi Guys,
    I updated my Painter to version 2018.2.1, but when I switch to texture view with F3, I can`t see the texture just a grey square...
    Help me ! Please
    Any chance your model isn't unwrapped?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Wisegold said:
    Hi Guys,
    Help me ! Please
    This is a known issue, hit 'F' and everything should go back to normal.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi guys, today I've updated my Painter into 2018.2.2 and noticed some strange behavior with my brush, it keep on resetting to the default black basic soft brush whenever I selecting other layer that's not paint-able (select other paint layer seems retain the brush setting). Is this a new behavior? I didn't noticed I have this issue on previous version though, is this intentional?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, this is a regression and will be fixed in the next minor update which should be shipped most likely in the coming days.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Awesome! Thank you guys!
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Has anyone else had any issues with the cursor/pen snapping to the center of the window in the 2D paint view (UVs)? We've had a couple folks here mention that since updating. Thanks!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, will be part of the upcoming hotfix as well.
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
  • IDCrisis0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDCrisis0 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the info @Jerc I opened a thread because I wasn't able to find this info last night. I'll comment that it's resolved.
  • IDCrisis0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something else I noticed last night in 2018.2.2.

1. Create some height detail on your mesh.
    2. Export the normal map, reimport and apply it to the mesh
    3. Bake AO and Curvature.
    Expected Result: AO and Curvature bakes have the added normal map detail.

This no longer works for me. Has the workflow been updated and I'm just doing it wrong now or is this possibly another bug?

My workaround was to export the normal, bring it in to SD and use the AO and Curve nodes to make alternate versions, then export AO and Curve bakes from SP and overlay them, then import the result back in SP.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The AO and Curvature now use the World Space Normal and not the Tangent Space normal.
  • IDCrisis0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Jerc ,

Thanks for the update. I figured this out last night just trying a bunch of stuff, but I wasn't sure if it was the correct workflow now or just a workaround.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.2.3

Substance Painter 2018.2.3
    fixes a bunch of issues, includding some regressions introduced in the previous release.

Here is a recap of all the fixes and changes since the Summer release:

Fixed:
    • [2D View] Unusable 2D View
    • [Crash] Switching from UV projection to tri-planar projection leads to a crash
    • [RayCollider] Multiple crashes due to "RayCollider"
    • [Tool] Switching layers lose the modified brush properties
    • Brush settings are reseted when switching to the eraser
    Known Issues:
    • Computation freeze on AMD VEGA GPUs
    • Huion tablet issue with shortcuts on Windows OS

Added:
    • [Content][Shelf] Add a Skin shelf preset
    • [Content][shelf] Conversion of 19 skin normals into materials for subsurface scattering
    • [Scripting] Create a project template from an open project
    • [Scripting] Get/Set export settings of an opened project
    • [Updates] Be able to disable the auto update pop-up from settings and environment variable
    • [Updates] Have a not display until next version on the maintenance outdated pop-up
    Fixed:
    • [Camera] Wrong zoom by switching from orthographic to perspective
    • [Display] Some maps are displayed in linear instead of sRGB
    • [Viewports] Mesh focus does not behave properly
    • [2D View] Project with broken camera has disappearing UVs Shells
    • [SSS][Tooltip] subsurface scattering tooltips appear in the log
    • Some projects cannot be opened in 2018.2 and error message can't save a null substance package
    • [Mask] Paint tool color can be stuck in some cases when working in a mask
    • [Material] Maps not appearing in specific situations
    • [Proj][Tools] Manipulator active with a generator
    • [Substance] Missing Substance groups of parameters
    • [Scripting] Incorrect software name in documentation
    • [UDIMs] No information in log about UVs shells on multiple UVs tiles

Fixed:
    • Missing subsurface scattering shader parameters from upgrading projects

• grfxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grfxman polycounter lvl 6
    When I switch anything to Triplanar Projection the material just vanishes in the latest version.

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    grfxman said:
    When I switch anything to Triplanar Projection the material just vanishes in the latest version.
    Would you have some specific repro steps? We're not able to reproduce this issue.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.3 - Fall Update

Substance Painter Fall 2018 Update is here
    and with it a huge boost in performance, viewport upgrades, proper 2D view export, new UI helpers, an enhanced symmetry tool and new content.

More details...

Added:

• [SVT][Engine] Sparse Virtual Textures (SVT)
    • [Anti-aliasing][Viewport] New temporal anti-aliasing filtering for 3D viewport (via Display Settings)
    • [Export] Export the content of the 2D viewport as a single texture
    • [Export][Dithering] Expose dithering at export
    • [Layer stack] Colors on layers and folders
    • [Layer stack] Quick activation and deactivation of multiple layers and effects
    • [Layer stack] Easier navigation for blending modes with up down keys and mouse scroll
    • [Proj][UI] Additional rotation manipulator on all three axis for triplanar
    • [Proj][Shorcuts] - and + to change the UV projection manipulator size
    • [Shader] Control coated layer parameters with channels in the PBR-coated shader
    • [Substance] Expose new mesh-based texture inputs for filters and generators
    • [Symmetry][Viewport][UI] Control symmetry offset with manipulators
    • [Symmetry][Contextual toolbar][UI] New symmetry panel with options
    • [Symmetry] New symmetry line intersection mode
    • [Symmetry] New symmetry clone cursor
    • [Symmetry][Shortcuts] Q to hide and -, + to change size and shift to snap
    • [Log] Improve error messages when unable to export textures
    • [Scripting] Allow to change or update the resources in Display Settings
    • [Scripting] Allow to create or remove channels in Texture Sets
    • [Content][Shaders] Add support for anisotropy with a dedicated shader (pbr-metal-rough-anisotropy-angle)
    • [Content] Update of the preview sphere with anisotropy and modified angle
    • [Content] Updated matFx shutline
    • [Content] New Texturing.XYZ seamless face scan
    • [Content] New anisotropic procedurals
    • [Content] New filter: baked lighting stylized
    • [Content] New environment map: studio automotive neutral
    • [Content] New project template: PBR - metallic roughness Anisotropy angle (with anisotropy channels)
    • [Content] New project template: PBR - metallic roughness Coated
    • [SVT][Preferences][UI] SVT hardware support acceleration option
    • [SVT][Log] Additional information for Sparse Virtual Texturing feature (e.g. size disk)
    • [SVT][UI] Message window at start if size on disk too low for the cache
    • [SVT][Preferences][UI] Substance Painter global cache location
    • [SVT] New environment variable to specify the path of the cache of Substance Painter
    • [SVT] New environment variable to activate the SVT hardware support acceleration
    • [SVT] Detect sparse support by hardware
    • [SVT][Hardware Sparse] Raise minimum driver version for Nvidia GPU
    • [SVT][Shader][[Viewport][UI] Warn user if artefacts present with Sparse Virtual Texturing at project opening

Fixed:

• [Color Picker] Painting cursor appearing when trying to pick a color
    • Crash by Selecting or Unselecting layers in a specific order can lead to crash
    • Crash when pasting as an instance a layer with a mask
    • [User Channel][Regression] Crash when renaming user channel
    • [User Channel] Grayed brush preview
    • [Alembic] Only one texture set from several materials after import
    • [Engine] Exported texture differs from viewport for brush stamps
    • [Engine] Invert with a level effect does not fully affect a texture
    • [Material picker is applying a brush stroke while picking
    • Switching resolution to 128x128px leads to a crash
    • Mesh map links are not updated properly when rebaking or instancing layers
    • [Substance] UserData ColorSpace does not work on Baked Mesh Normal requested as input
    • MDL association mismatch when using multiple shaders instances
    • [Symmetry][Fill Layer] Symmetry plane and its manipulator active in Fill Layer
    • [Viewport] Pivot point for translation not always updated after clicking
    • [UI] Fixed icons and removal of placeholders for HDPI monitors

Known Issues:

• Computation freeze on AMD VEGA GPUs
    • Anti-aliasing and shadows when active together may give unexpected results

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
    looks pretty decent :D
    i dont know if this is fixed? -> 
    drawing on the 2d is not possible

i dont have seen any infos on "texture sets" am i right? :((

Good to see updates anyway  B)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hey @Jerc for this point -> [Layer stack] Quick activation and deactivation of multiple layers and effects <- how does it work actually?
    Also too bad SVT not compatible with gtx970..
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    waht does this 
    • [SVT][Engine] Sparse Virtual Textures (SVT) 
    do?

sorry found it
    https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/sparse-virtual-textures-172823866.html
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    One Question still remaining, is it now possilble to paint across UDIMs.?
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    I'am having issues with this new update. When viewing a surface at an angle, image looks blurry and UV seams are VERY visible.
    Thread : https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=26457.msg102542#msg102542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qKIbhHQaM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRb6MkwaII
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    ^ Yeah noticed this too, though I'm guessing it's kinda mips kicked in to save performance?
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Revel said:
    ^ Yeah noticed this too, though I'm guessing it's kinda mips kicked in to save performance?
    yeah, i think this too. and lack of anisotropic filtering.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Revel said:
    Hey @Jerc for this point -> [Layer stack] Quick activation and deactivation of multiple layers and effects <- how does it work actually?
    Also too bad SVT not compatible with gtx970..
    It allows you to click on the on/off button of a layer, then drag down or up to deactivate or activate multiple layers at once.

GlowingPotato The isue you are seeing is the lower mips kicking in at grazing angles with the SVT, we will look into ways to customize how aggressive the system is.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Just a quick question, is the 2018.3.0 the last maintenance update for the 2018 owners? I couldn't confirm it from anywhere. It's still "2018", so I'd assume it is.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I just spent an hour revisiting my topology before I realised that this mipping algorithm was causing the artifacts. :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Just a quick question, is the 2018.3.0 the last maintenance update for the 2018 owners? I couldn't confirm it from anywhere. It's still "2018", so I'd assume it is.
    There is a 2018.3.1 out, and there will still be a 2018.3.2 likely next month.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Jerc said:
    There is a 2018.3.1 out, and there will still be a 2018.3.2 likely next month.
    Thanks for the clarification Jerc, the 8-bit dithering is the biggest reason I hoped to have before the SP 2019, since I'm skipping that this time. I'll jump back to your train with Substance Painter 2020 at the end of the next year, I'll definitely keep supporting you guys in future. It's just I still have few other lincenses I have to take care of during next year. But awesome, if there's even one more update on the "old" version. ;)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spent an hour revisiting my topology before I realised that this mipping algorithm was causing the artifacts. :)
    This is getting crazy now. This mipping algorithm is a nightmare. I'm obsessing over triangulation issues that aren't even a problem, other than SP's viewport. Is there any patch expected for this issue? Or is there a way to disable mipping? Thanks.

Ran all the bakes through Toolbag3 and there are none of these issues. I've wasted so much time over the last 24 hours that I'll have to rollback to an older version that doesn't have broken baking.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The mips issue should have nothing to do with baking thouhg, only visualization in the viewport. What is the issue exactly?
    As for fixing the mips, a new update should be coming around mid january and will add anisotropic filtering as well as a mip bias option to force the loading of higher mipmap levels.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I didn't mean that the mipping was affecting the actual bake, just the visualisation. It creates weird visually 'bumped off the surface' triangles. It is 100% visual, but it is very annoying as I kept thinking there were bad triangulation errors even though I knew the topology was fine. Glad to hear you're exposing the mipping options. Thanks.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.3.2

Substance Painter 2018.3.2
    fixes a bunch of issues, adds an USDZ export option and more control over the filtering quality in the viewport .

Added:

• Summary: hotfix with some new features
    • [Export] Allow export to USDZ
    • [Viewport] Allow to control the texture quality in the Display Settings
    • [Viewport] Added mip bias setting in Display Settings
    • [Viewport] Added anisotropic filtering in Display Settings
    • [plugins] Update official plugins to use the style of Substance Painter 2018
    • [License] Install license by default in a user folder

Fixed:

• Crash linked to decompression
    • Add TAA on solo material
    • Noise with shadow, TAA and alpha test shader with dithering
    • Remove specular dithering for all classic PBR shaders
    • Crash in the shader settings in some cases
    • Scattering activation is not synchronized between OpenGL and Iray renders
    • Smudge and clone tools do not work anymore on specific meshes
    • Some texture sets can not appear in Iray render
    • Renamed Texture Sets are not saved after closing project
    • Wireframe artefacts when drag and dropping materials on ID maps
    • [Scripting] File path creation not forced when saving a project
    • [Scripting] Callback “onProjectAboutToSave()” doesn’t work anymore
    • Forum links broken in report bug window

Known Issues:

• Computation freeze in some cases on AMD VEGA GPUs

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc thanks for adding the mipping settings. That was driving me nuts. :) It's these constant updates that you guys have always treated us to that's one of the reasons everyone's been so terrified of the recent news. Let's hope that always stays.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.3.3

Added:

• [Content] Integrate new project template: "PBR - Metallic Roughness Alpha-blend"
    • Linux Dynamic library search order changed to prioritize libraries in the installation directory ahead of what is installed on the system

Fixed:

• Mesh sometimes disappears from the 3D viewport (press F to reset camera)
    • Update Substance Painter Sketchfab uploader with the new Sketchfab license types
    • [Import][glTF] Wrong handling input texture modulation as defined in glTF files
    • [Import][glTF] Ground plane is incorrectly displayed with glTF import in some cases
    • [Export][USD] Opacity does not work in Arkit
    • [Export][USD] USDz export crashes in some cases
    • [Export][USD] Export to USD without saving leads to crash
    • [Export][USD] Incorrect tiling mode for textures, subdivision mode for meshes and output types for shaders
    • [Export][USD] Sparse exports of only some texture sets with all geometry
    • [Instance] Crash when trying to delete a broken instance layer
    • [Regression][Export] Some maps not exported in the chosen bit depth
    • [Linux] Issue with library libtbb.so.2

Known Issues:

• Computation freeze in some cases on AMD VEGA GPUs

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth

SP 2019.1

The release notes are way too long to be posted here, so here is a quick summary :

• New Dynamic Strokes, use Substance files to create new and advanced brush effects
    • New Displacement and mesh Tessellation in realtime viewport and Iray
    • New Compare Mask effect to easily blend materials
    • New Radial Symmetry painting
    • New Planar projection mode for fill layers
    • New Spherical projection mode for fill layers
    • UI/UX improvements, like multi selection of Texture Sets to change their resolutions
    • New content : alphas, filters, generators, presets and more !

Head over our detailed release notes for more information : 2019.1 Release Notes

• ArtificialArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtificialArtist polycounter lvl 6
    I have to say, thank you Allegorithmic for this awesome tool. I'm using SP for almost two years now and it completely changed my quality of work. I really wouldn't know how to even come close to that with any other tool on the market.
    One thing that would ease my workflow, the AO and Curvature maps that are baked within SP are often a little tideous to extract
    (i often export them to use in Photoshop).
    If there is any way i could either just drag and drop it out or if there was a tickbox to have it exported along the other maps into the export folder during the bake, that would make things quicker (for me)

cheers!

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Make yourself an export preset for the maps you want to export,  that's the simplest solution. 

And with regard to 2019 and later 2018 versions... 

Working at 4k on an 8gb 1080/modern 8core xeon box I'm finding that layer masks get corrupted pretty regularly and need to be repainted.
    It seems to be particularly those created using poly select but has affected painted masks. These aren't heavy projects,  just 5-10 materials and a few fill layers.  Switching to 2k resolves the problem but that's no good.

Enabling/disabling svt hardware support has no effect

Is anyone else seeing it? 
  • HenryYamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HenryYamin polycounter lvl 7
    I really want to paint across UDIMS :(
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I have to say, thank you Allegorithmic for this awesome tool. I'm using SP for almost two years now and it completely changed my quality of work. I really wouldn't know how to even come close to that with any other tool on the market.
    One thing that would ease my workflow, the AO and Curvature maps that are baked within SP are often a little tideous to extract
    (i often export them to use in Photoshop).
    If there is any way i could either just drag and drop it out or if there was a tickbox to have it exported along the other maps into the export folder during the bake, that would make things quicker (for me)

cheers!

You can make an export preset that does that