Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crossbow WIP

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Looking for feedback on this guy, still finishing up the high poly. Thanks!

Here is the final high poly.

2lked1f.jpg

Final low poly render.

2q0vm37.jpg

-Buddikaman

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    The front bow part of the crossbow seems too worn. The references I am seeing are all smooth in that area. Reason being, the wood would simply snap if it is worn like that. There is an unbelievable amount of pressure on that part. The rest seems ok, try not to go overboard with the worn wood look. Too much is like not enough. Good start though!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wear and tear just really doesn't make much sense. If this thing was used a lot, at really worn down, you wouldn't see woodgrain (i'm imaging that is what most of that is), you would actually see the opposite. If this thing has been used a lot, there have been a lot of hands grabbing it, causing the wood to wear down.

If you argue that its been damaged from being thrown/dropped/etc..then you would want to make sure that the model reflects that. The corners would be damaged more than the sides.

Good luck!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree it did look a bit rotten, so i went and lowered the decay and scratches, added a few things as well.

mt05m9.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final high poly.

2lked1f.jpg

And what it might look like in game..

mtm53d.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood grain on the front part should be going long ways.. if im not mistaken, they just layer wood strips and then bend them and tie the string on, so the wood grain would be going horizontal and not vertical.

could be wrong though!

*Edit*

I thought the cloth on the front was wood in the first person view.. so the grain is fine, but you may wanna fix that cloth to read more like cloth :P looks a little choppy and loose right now IMO
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok which cloth peice are we talking about bro? All of them or the ones in the front or back?

Thanks!

-Buddikaman
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all of them really.. they dont read as cloth to me.. maybe make them look a little tighter pulled around the wood? it looks really loose and the crevices in the cloth are pretty deep.

EDIT -

I cant even find an example of cloth wrappings like that >.< everything i come across is leather :(
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks better! I agree about the gloth, its just too wrinkly right now..The first person view looks nice!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final low poly render.

2q0vm37.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • gammaslam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think your normal map might be a little too strong the cloth feels odd to me. Other than that i think it looks great, high rez one looks really nice.