Home General Discussion

im getting the heats

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
ok , my laptop is...

so i formatted my alienware M9750 ( 4 gigs of ram , 512mb GTX7900 , 2.1 dual core ) due to lots of files etc , i wanted a clean fresh start, and installed WInXP64 bits.

so far so good , the only problem im finding is that my pc core's temperatures are always around 63 degrees celsius ( thats alot ) and i dont get why since my fans are spinning correctly, they have no dust i cleaned the pc in the inside etc .

the only other reason why this happens is because computer is using alot of cpu right ? my pc only uses 6 or 7 pc idle, and still is overheating from the moment i boot.

i really want to avoid taking it to a pc repairshop here in madrid since they are generally really BAD and tend to steal ram and replace it with shitty brand to sell on black market .

Also alienware so far havent replied to my costumer mails about bios that allows me to use 4 gigs of ram ( its a bug or something in these laptops )

sorry for this thanks !

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hmm, if you cleaned the insides, maybe you dislocated the heatsink/fans a bit from the cpu? is the gpu overheating too or just cpu ?
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Man I had an alienware laptop that died due to heat. They crammed so much stuff in them it ended up killing it before I even realized it. Was thinking of tearing the screen out and finding a use for it :p
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    everything is overheating cpu , and the cores , its been really hot here, but my house is around 25 degrees celsius , and the overheating problem came before i even cleaned the fans before formatting :( also my pc uses a weird "path" that seems made of copper to distribute heat from the cores , dunno how to clean that as it is sealed etc...
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Are you able to underclock the cpu & vid card? That 'could' help reduce heat output.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i used have a dell laptop, and it had cpu throttling, so when it wasnt being used, it would throttle the cpu speed down to as low as 116hz from 1.6mhz at maximum usage. But i could use a special app to set it to always at maximum or always minimum etc.

Maybe ur AW had some of that stuff and when u formatted all those stuff got removed and ur always running the cpu at max speed.
  • rasmus
    I keep three sets of flat icepack ziplock bags in the freezer, to put my laptop on - always a fresh one ready when things start to sizzle ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Ouch that's pretty hot! Does it run that hot on a chill mat?

Something might have shifted case is slightly over tight? Might be pressing on a heat producing piece channeling the heat in a bad way? Air flow is pretty tight in some of these things, if the case is slightly overtightened or askew it might block the flow?

Hope you get it figured out soon!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah im gonna take it monday to a computer repair shop , i just hope they can sort this out :( keep em coming guys :(
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    you could always cpuid your machine before and print out a screen grab and compare afterwards..

http://www.cpuid.com/
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, I got the same laptop, except different setup. I'm running Windows XP 32-bit and have a couple of different components tham you do.

My overheating issue was with my graphics cards, the way I fix this is...I periodically add some thermal compound to the CPU and both GPU's...and some to some other little shits that I don't know what the fuck they are...but the Alienware people had put thermal compound on it...so I add more to it every month.

Anyways...did you buy your computer with Vista 64-bit? This seems to be an issue with this computer...people how try to upgrade from XP 32 bit get weird issues...I mean, at MyHive, your alienware account, there's BIOS for whatever OS you have...which is weird. And...your computer will not be able to run 4gigs of ram, even if you have a 64-bit system...it's something about the motherboard, it can't address all the RAM...or some bullshit like this, trust me...I spent a shitload of time figuring a way to use all 4gigs of ram...and you just can't.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I would get a laptop cooling thingy for it to sit on.

I just ordered one for my laptop.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    It could be...im no PC tech, so don't know why it's actually not reading all 4 gigs. But, it's been argued about over and over about this goddamn laptop, got so fucking pissed off about it, cuz I dropped a huge chunk of change for it...but here's a thread about it...not necessarily why it doesn't support 4gigs...but everyone complaining that it doesn't.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=242695
  • Mark Dygert
    perna wrote: »
    autopsySoldier: Isn't it just that some of the ram is assigned to vram?
    I'm pretty sure that's the case with most laptops. If you go into the Display Settings > Advanced >Adapter tab it will tell you how much "shared system memory" it's using. That will be subtracted from your total amount of ram much like onboard integrated video cards in desktops.

It probably has 64mb dedicated at least that's the case with my wife's Viao that has a GeForce 8400m GS.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Hmmm, I don't have that. Mine just says "Memory: 512MB" is that the same? I have 2 7950GTX in SLI each is 512MB, so that would be 1gig used by my actual RAM?

Man...I wish I was smater about computers.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    my dell M1710 is the same I have 4 gigs but the mobo only takes advantage of 3.25 of it.

With Vista 64 bit SP1 it says I have 4 gigs but I was told that it's not actually using the full 4.

Something about the motherboards weren't programmed or set up for 4 gigs of ram or whatever. I know. It's stupid but who knows why they would set it up like this to begin with.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, seems like you're in the same boat Jesse...Hey, is it true that Dell owns Alienware? Maybe it's their engineering department.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    i got one of those alienware mobiles around five years ago. Such an awesome machine but they do run so damn hot! Now days I can only run the compurter for about 10 minutes before it crashes and shuts down.
    Really wish i could figure it out. Because it was such a great laptop.
    Goodluck.

and yeah. Very such Dell owns alienware.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    received this emal from alienware :

Dear Mr. Josu,

I regret to inform you that we do not support a system that is not in original configuration as bough from us, including the hardware as well as the operating system.
    Any drivers and software available for your system can be found at MyHive section under support at www.alienware.co.uk .
    I also regret to inform you your system is out of warranty since 07/30/2008.
    I'm sorry I can not help you any further.

Thank you for choosing ALIENWARE.

Kind Regards

(Matúš Danko)

ok the good news is i found that mihive bullshit , the bad news is i dont have an account there, i never needed to log in there , fuck this.
  • Mark Dygert
    ^ That blows, but is probably very typical.

It's probably not a good idea to put "Thanks for choosing ALIENWARE" after you give your customer the middle finger, probably only fosters hate for your product...
    Hmmm, I don't have that. Mine just says "Memory: 512MB" is that the same? I have 2 7950GTX in SLI each is 512MB, so that would be 1gig used by my actual RAM?

Man...I wish I was smater about computers.
    SLi n a laptop or a desktop? XP or Vista? 32bit or 64?
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Johny, I might be able to give you whatever drivers you're looking for, I have access to MyHive.

Vig, it's SLi on a laptop, XP 32bit.

My laptop is Alienware M9750, XP 32-bit Dual Core (2.33ghz), Dual GeForce Go 7950GTX 512MB in SLi, 4gigs of RAM installed....I had bought my computer with 2 gigs of RAM, but bought 4 when I was going to upgrade to Vista-64 but it ended up frying my graphics cards twice, so I went back to Xp-32 and haven't had any problems since.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey autopsy soldier that would be really rad , do you have msn ? your pc specs seem practically the same as mine , the only diff is that i only have 1 graphic card :P and winxp64 bits.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Check your PM home-slice.
  • 7point83hertz
    i see u live in spain.
    if you live somewhere hot, i guess the customization of the fan-vs-cpu is made in a roomtemperature environment so if you have constant 30 C° up then it could be only natural the cpu is constantly too hot.

just a theory. you could always do additional cooling from the outside.
  • EarthQuake
    my dell M1710 is the same I have 4 gigs but the mobo only takes advantage of 3.25 of it.

With Vista 64 bit SP1 it says I have 4 gigs but I was told that it's not actually using the full 4.

Something about the motherboards weren't programmed or set up for 4 gigs of ram or whatever. I know. It's stupid but who knows why they would set it up like this to begin with.

3.25 is what will report if you have 4 gigs on a 32 bit os, so likely some terrible alienware fuckery here.