Home General Discussion

The Meds - New song

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Hey all.

Just finished laying down some of the vocals for a new song I'm working called The Meds, and I would love to hear what you all think.

You can take a listen here - http://signalswithoutsound.bandcamp.com/track/the-meds

This is basically the style I'm more comfortable with, and want to continue following. Sucks that I can't get my vocals all cool and raspy, but I've been trying for years with different bands, and I just have to accept it... this is my voice :)

Anyways... I hope everyone enjoys, this is still a work in progress, so I'll be updating as I go along.

Replies

• Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    sounds good so far! sounds like a classic rock song :). is that you singing?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    That's all me baby.

90's rock is seriously my most favourtite time in music history, I only wish i was a little older during that time to fully enjoy it, but that's where I grab most of my inspiration from. Grungy rock meets (hopefully) some cooler ballads here and there.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, that's cool!
    You've got a good voice for that kind of track. Great harmonies here and there. Guitar sound is maybe a bit "thick" for my liking, but it's working pretty well.
    Did you do the guitar/drums/bass too, or just the vocals?
    Personally I'm glad you can't get your voice "cool and raspy", this sound is a nicer contrast with the heavy guitars I think. Sounds a bit like a less whiny Death Cab For Cutie to me.

I've been recording some music recently too, unfortunately I can't sing at all :)
    I'll probably post it up at the end of the month. 5 tracks so far in just over a week, I'm on a roll!
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    sounds like you should be on much music during tonights video flow. you would fit right in.... should be able to make a ton of money off those songs.

It doesnt sound like anything new though; if you want to service society with art alone, I think you would do better as a 3d artist. Your visual art seems more unique than your audible art, which seems pretty generic. Its well produced, easy to listen to, and has the classic pop formula of happy sound with jaded/sad lyrics.

you might get lucky and pop a million dollars off it, sounds like the masses could eat that with a big spoon actually...

I'll take your winter wasteland level over those tunes any day of the week personally. Course you can probably keep up both.

listen to more Smiths, or listen to more Swans (children of God / world of skin) - one of those directions would improve your sound methinks.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm telling you mop, we need to get some sort of Polycount Music Festival going or something :P (on the forums... I don't think anyone would go to a real festival).

Everything is by me, I play guitar and bass, and the drums I created using Beat Craft, but its all original beats, so some stuff may be off a bit... but I'm slowly learning. The chorus kinda shows the stlye of drumming that I'm trying to hit.

I would love to hear stuff from you Mop, I already know we got some other awesome musicians on Polycount... I think we need to start spreading the love more :)

Maybe get Gavin to teach us some cool drum beats with his fancy electronic kit (BETTER BE USING IT!)

I only do it for the love of music Micro :P

One day I gotta get a band together again though... I miss that shit.

But thanks :)
  • aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
  • Farfarer
    Not bad, dude. Not bad at all!
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! The layered vocals remind me of Stone Temple Pilots which always brings back good memories.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Thanks FAT_CAP, I miss stone temple pilots, another awesome band.
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    when the heck did 90's rock turn into classic rock?! :( I miss that music too. I think your vocals are great and carrys most of the tune, the instruments need a little more refining and be mixed better but ehhh, that's an engineers job and understandable being a home recording. Musically, your first track has more dynamics, this track, sometimes I can't tell what is the verse and what is the chorus apart from the louder guitar dub you put in. but overall, good job. ughh. now I miss doing music too, do you do collabs? lol
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good track... especially for doing all your own production on this. My only recommendation would be to smooth out the end. IMO, it ends like someone shut off the CD. I prefer more of the fade-out style.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry notman, I think i was trying different endings, but I originally had the fade, so I'll try and work with that a bit more.

Thanks alex, I'm still getting use to recording and producing by myself, our guitarist in my older band was a genius when it came to recording / producing.

I found the other track was a bit too poppy for my taste, didn't really seem like something I would have created, it just kinda came out though so meh.

How would we do a collab? Like record a track and send it between each other?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    No need to apologize... it's your art, not mine :D It by no means hurts the song, just a personal preference :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I actually like the sudden ending :D
    Personally this isn't something I would normally listen to, but it sounds great for the style. I can definitely hear the 90s rock influence. Some of the harmony parts didn't quite work for me, they were in tune but the notes you chose just didn't flow well for me. You can't please everyone :P
    Great work, dude and keep writing some more stuff.

-caseyjones
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    I like this. Reminds me of several things I heard a few years ago and actually you got me missing those. I like the fact you don't have (of try to immitate) the raspy voices usually associated with this style of music.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all... my voice has always bugged me, but I'm starting to get use to it.

I've been listening to an awesome band called Limblifter, and their album is called - I/O, they have some absolutely awesome songs.
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Jason, i sent you a PM
  • Michael Knubben
    Man, this is nice! Very 90's, sure, but that's the next decade up for a hip revival :D
    Very R.E.M-like, but that's a compliment!
  • Talbot
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Man, this is nice! Very 90's, sure, but that's the next decade up for a hip revival :D
    Very R.E.M-like, but that's a compliment!

Yeah I like. It reminds me of REM too.

The only thing I would say is that the vocals seem a little bit quite at times. Nothing horrible... I just think it could be a tad louder.

Overall I really like it though!