Home Technical Talk

FLV Setup

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Its a bit straying from the norm, but I was wondering if anyone out there that uses FLV (Flash videos basically) on their websites. I'm having some difficulty understanding some of these "tutorials" out there, and I'm just trying to figure out how to embedd this into my website (I already have the files etc... or at least I think I do).

Thanks all

Replies

• gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    If you've used Flash to encode your video and created a flash video project, plugged in the path to your FLV into the video player component in your flash project and published, you should have a sample HTML file, a swf, and your FLV. All of these files should go in the same directory unless you've specified a direct path to the source FLV file. The swf file is pretty much the interface for video playback plus a referenece to th FLV file. The HTML file, if you look at the code, should be some simple params in an embed object that you can copy paste into your own webpage, or simply use the one Flash generated for you.

Was there something specific you were having an issue w/?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that hurt my head man... lol

"Plugged in the path to your FLV into the video player component in your flash project and published" wha?

All i get so far is .FLV, .SWF, SkinUnderPlaySeekStop.swf etc.

Sorry man, this is prettyyyy confusing (to me anyways) I think i'm more so struggling with the code itself, I've come across like 2 examples and it's just not working for me. It sounds like before I publish I have to plug a path to the FLV, what path?

Thanks man for helping.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    do you have flash?

Open flash.

Click "import"

chose video.

make your stage the same size as the video.

compile that shit

make sure it all lives on the same place on your server (the swf, flv, and any controller swf it packages in there)

done!

no coding needed!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah like hawken said, its all built into flash these days. When you import you can choose to embed the video into the flash swf(big download) or make it go into a seperate .fla to the flash swf and it can stream it. Ive noticed message boards like polycounts dont always display swfs, probably just to keep the boards safer.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh!

Thanks all, I got it to work.

For some reason I thought it was like 100x more complicated then that, its about 3mbs, so I hope it doesn't completely kill my bandwidth when I put up the new site.

Thanks again all :)