Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT3 & Gears Environment Art

Replies

• veteehrri
    Offline / Send Message
    veteehrri polycounter lvl 17
    Wow.... awesome work man, really really inspiring just love all pieces, tks for share.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Kevin I added a link to this thread on the wiki, http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryEnvironment, also your name there is a link to your new site. Thanks for pimping, inspirational as always.
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    This stuff has really destroyed my brain. I'm not applying for any jobs until I'm at least half as good as this. If the money runs out I may have to settle for a quarter.

Inspirational and brain destroying in equal measures.
  • ThE_BirD
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Stellar work Kevin... Really fantastic stuff;-D
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    BabelSpire is totally cool, so much detail in all the models, fantastic dreamy work.
    I know you said you wouldn't but I would love to see low poly renders with normal map, maybe later as things progress?
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    It`d be rude not to say fantastic work!
  • Ajax
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing stuff!
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    So much inspiration
  • Ancient-Pig
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    It`d be rude not to say fantastic work!

I agree - very very nice modeling. The time spent on those assets definitely shows through in the end product
  • iatriki
    this is pure visual orgasm!
  • buddikaman
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Can someone answer this. When making the high polys for walls and such, are the brick textures and wear and tear sculpted or applied later with texture to normals over the rest of it?

Thanks!

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • Heathmeister
    Your a Hardsurface modelers wet dream :)

Love your work man
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Your work sets the standards even higher. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
  • Squirmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    yeah.... i guess that will do

if you like bad ass
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    buddikaman wrote: »
    Can someone answer this. When making the high polys for walls and such, are the brick textures and wear and tear sculpted or applied later with texture to normals over the rest of it?

Thanks!

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com

I guess one way you can do what he did with the walls is using alpha's on a poly plain in Zbrush and extrude using Deformations and Masks.
  • Painbringer
    Offline / Send Message
    Painbringer polycounter lvl 17
    Oh god man. You treat those pity triangles in very sadistic way...
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    IronHawk wrote: »
    yeah man. I'd buy a dvd of you making one of these objects.

touch
  • Jonathan
    Eat3D's "Old Pillar" tutorial is cool, if that's what you mean.
    http://eat3d.com/
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Couple Necris pieces -

Trims

NEC_Trims.jpg

Roof

NEC_Roof.jpg

A Liandri piece -

Ion Cannon

LT_IonCannon01.jpg

LT_IonCannon02.jpg

LT_IonCannon03.jpg

The Ion cannon was a big deal for me, it was early on in UT3's production and this was
    the first piece I made that I didn't think was a bit crap. I think I found my building style
    for the set with this piece, usually its the case for me that the first couple of pieces dont
    really click, then 1 piece does and I'm more comfortable.

John- Initially because it was the studio mentality, the lads on Gears team had made some
    truly jaw dropping models in the years previous and I'd just never seen anyone go that
    far, I wouldn't have though it was possible , or worth it.

Anyway their stuff was just bewilderingly good to someone who has never made a hipoly
    model and I knew that would be the yardstick by which I could measure my progress.

Later it became clear that there would not always be any guarentee of time for me to communicate
    to the texture artist that followed me, what else I would have added but didnt have time
    for, or would be easier to do in the texture.

Plus I was around during the prototyping stage and when testing how far you can go
    in 2d and in 3d in terms of normal map depth, 3d tended to produce a better result
    most of the time.

It's also worth bearing in mind the numerous tiling bsp style dirt, rock, sand, snow, ice, gravel
    textures I bodged with nivdia's normal map filter or crazybump aren't being shown here.

Theres always a time and a place for 3d and 2d work, later I'll show a piece I made with a
    combination of both to make a modular concrete wall set.

Eric

Thanks, thats turning into a great resource.

Buddik

They were all modelled then zbrushed, seperating the bricks, tiles, grout, conrete from each other lets
    me assign a different material to each in max so I can generate a diffuse texture when
    rendering my normal map, it makes for a better guide and speedup for the texture artist.

Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Good god. That roof dome is amazing. very nice. Is most of this stuff from concepts, or you come up with it yourself? Sorry if you said it already.
  • super_villain
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    I'm sorry, it's just hard to get over how much win there is. Truly amazing my friend.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    That Cannon is just TOO MUCH!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhhh so coool!
  • benclark
    this stuff is just amazing, it takes a few moments of open-mouthed staring to digest all these details. Apologies if this has been asked already...

...when you get concepts for this stuff is everything drawn down to the tiniest details? or do you get some freedom in how you actually detail this stuff out?
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I know James Hawkins does ur character, vehicle, and weapon concepts...dunno bout enviros but ive seen their concepts as well and they are monsters! u guys have alotta talent there at epic
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    I had good clear concept art for most of the Necris stuff, though that leaves 50% of the work to be invented by the env artist. For all the concrete stuff in the Necris theme I just found islamic reference, such as the roof, walls. The Liandri stuff I had concept art for the Gootank
    ChasmBridge, TorlanWall and Support piece. The IonCannon was based on a ww2 style
    gun concept that wasn't used in Gears, so I found reference of artillery and just winged it.

The concept support wasn't strong initially at the start of the project, that changed when
    Vance Kovacs started contracting on the Necris stuff, then near the end we hired Shane Pierce
    and he's been making great stuff for Gears2 after a stint on the last part of UT3, he did
    the goo tank concept.

Jayhawk did the concepts for the Torlan stuff and the Chasm bridge.
  • robert.B
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.B polycounter lvl 11
  • blanktarget
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    This stuff is all fine and dandy if you're into well built, highly appealing objects and shtuff. :P

you sick bastard.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Check out eat3d.com they have some really good stuff there. I bought the pillar tutorial and learned a lot from it.

You registered here just to post that and it's already mentioned directly under the one you quoted.. :D
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    your work has inspired me to take a greater interest in environment art :)
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
  • Talbot
    This is a lot to ask but... do you know a tutorial that shows you step by step how to model a wall with that technical/futuristic style?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Ror! Bit late on this, but just wanted to jump in and say IMPRESSIVE!
    Congrats for the pieces, and thanks for all the useful information you have been posting in these pages.

There is just that one bit about smoothing groups that I can't quite figure out at the bottom of page 3. So if you ever have the time I'd love to hear more on this!

Can't wait to see more!
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pior: I think he means not to use smoothing groups on the highpoly? So the it's all facet shading and you don't get it trying to average the normals of a 90-degree corner.

I might be wrong though!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: When I work up a section of a concrete material in zbrush, export, polycrunch and
    am ready to process in max, I select the concrete element and CLEAR ALL smoothing groups.
    Zbrush automatically assigns a sort of smoothing group and the tendency is to assign
    1 smoothing group to it by hand to smooth out some of the rough tesselated areas.

I don't do this.

The rough looking crackly bits may look a bit pixellated up close, you can see they are
    very jaggy on the necris concrete arches and walls for instance, but by the time its processed
    it still looks a little too crackly and that doesnt matter.

By the time its processed, then textured, then goes through whatever compression algorithm
    the engine uses, then is anti aliased on a tv screen , that crackly stuff reads more as
    concrete than it would have with a smoothing group.

Talbot: I've never read tutorials on hipoly modelling, I just kept modelling up it looks better
    and I gradually learned about how to terminate edgeloops that aren't necessary without
    causing pinch where I didnt want to.

The more you model new shapes the more you build up a repertoire of shapes you command
    which leads to know how to splice and combine them smoothly and you gradually learn
    that there are a number of different ways to create the same effect with different
    modelling techniques.

I can help folks out more in this area after Gears2 goes gold.

The absolute best thing anyone looking to immitate this stuff is to just start modelling a
    shape, like a cog, or an arch or a t-beam or an L beam, or spherical light orb.

Then try fusing 2 of those shapes together, deforming those shapes with the FFD modifier
    and so on. Trying to leap straight in to a full design when new to modelling, or hipoly or
    a new program is not a good approach, learning to command a few different base forms
    first before you beging on a design is much more helpful.

Another thing thats helpful is just experimenting with the different modifiers and see what they do. I use the following often

Shell
    Bevel
    FFDx2 / x3 / x4
    STL Check
    Loft
    Path Deform WSM
    Bend
    Cross section
    Surface
    CSslide(plugin from scripspot.com)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh thanks for the clarification! So basically when you detail a 'half organic' mesh in Zbrush like cracks in a wall, once you re-import that in max you set everything to hard edges (clear smoothing groups), so that the little facets look like hard, chipped off cement instead of some weird melted surface(like if everything is set to smoothgroup 1 for instance). Makes sense!

Also thanks for pointing out CSslide. I remember you mentionned it years ago when you started working on that highpoly stuff, I have been using it ever since and it's great. Maya equivalent of it is built in and slightly more powerful, but I expect Max to fully integrate this soon if not already.

Modifiers rule. Didn't know surface still existed, I got to check it out again!
    Also someone here recently mentionned the Soulburn script collection. Still have to test this, but SplineKnotToObject and SplinePainter might be of good use. (I usually 'extract' existing edges to spline, but that one looks sounds more powerful).

http://www.neilblevins.com/soulburnscripts/soulburnscripts.htm

Thanks again for the insights!
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Kevin, everytime you post it's like God talking! So insightful and helpful, thank you
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: I wish max would just lift Maya's unwrap tools and place them in max. That I rely
    on chugnutt's UVWunwrap1.4 tools from 6 years ago as its still superior to the 'improvements'
    discreet make with each update is very telling.

Some of those soulburn scripts do sound great, I'll have to check them out soon.

Alex:thanks, but don't go putting me on a pedestal, I'll only fall on my arse.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    This is very inspiring!
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Talbot: I've never read tutorials on hipoly modelling, I just kept modelling up it looks better
    and I gradually learned about how to terminate edgeloops that aren't necessary without causing pinch where I didnt want to.

This is my biggest problem with high poly modeling but your words are very good to hear and make me want to step down from thinking too big and work from the ground up so to speak. My models do nothing BUT pinch hah. It seems there aren't massive resources available to learn this kinda stuff.

I can't wait until Gears 2 goes gold and you might have some free time to share in your High-Poly learning experiences.

Thanks again for your awesome followups Kevin! Very inspiring.

Oh and can someone mention what STL Check does, in context with the discussions in this thread?
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Kevin, I just dropped by to say thanks for sharing this beauties with us!

There's some really inspirational stuff there!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    STL Check is a modifier you can place over the top of your lowpoly for instance, to check
    if you have left open edges, multiple edges, double faces. It also highlights where these
    areas are and I use it as a last step before unwrapping and then before export.
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    there's a 1.5 version of chuggnuts original uvtools (fixed up by somebody) floating around somewhere for max 9 - fixes a few things if you're interested. :)

lovely top drawer work by the way - I can't wait for gears 2, not wholly because of the game, but because you'll have more time to indulge us with your knowledge after it's out. :D

good luck with the family on the way! hope to hear from you later on.
  • BoilingOil
    Offline / Send Message
    BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
    This is a great thread, great inspiration.
  • Slingshot
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for sharing your creation process Kevin, many thanks!
  • Ajax
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »

Modifiers rule. Didn't know surface still existed, I got to check it out again!
    Also someone here recently mentionned the Soulburn script collection. Still have to test this, but SplineKnotToObject and SplinePainter might be of good use. (I usually 'extract' existing edges to spline, but that one looks sounds more powerful)....

Holy crap, those SplineScripts in the SoulBurn Script collection are badass, thanks for pointing that out dude!!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Hey can anyone tell me if Meshtools works with Max 9, because im having some problems started it up.
  • Eric Chadwick
    You don't need meshtools anymore, all the functions are integrated in max now.