Home General Discussion

pair of ears looking for headphones

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
i am looking to get new headphones for cancelling out background noises in the office environment. have been using my PSP's in-ear plugs so far which is not satisfactory sometimes - time to show up with bigger guns at work.
i'd like to especially filter out the turbine-sound from a co-workers machine and not the least conversations and door-slamming as much as possible. and it would be cool if i wouldn't have to sweat like a pig and/or look like mickey mouse when wearing these.

i'm not fussed about being tied to the desk (wires) but the thing should definitely be able to survive an accidential drop to the floor. recommendations? you know you want to! and please - keep those 300 pound headphones to yourself. i'm not THAT much of a headphone geek. thanks :)

Replies

• Shady
    Bose makes some really sweet Over/On ear headphones. I have the InEar buds they make, they're really nice. Lifetime warranty, lots of bass response and they will replace anything you lose (buds, clothing clip/lanyard) for free at any Bose store.

Bose > * imo
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i have a pair of sennheiser hd 280 pro, i like em... they're not too big, but they cover your whole ear, they sit nice and tight on your head (if u like that), and they block most sound from outside, not to mention they sound pretty damn awesome.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar seconded... I bought a pair of these suckers a few months ago and love the sound quality/cancellation. a little snug out of the box but put something in between them when you leave work for a few days and you're good to go.
  • greenj2
    The best pair of headphones I've owned are a pair of TDK MP100's. Cost me $40 about 4 years ago, good outside-sound buffering, decent sound quality and the damn things are indestructible. They're well outdated now, but a +1 to the TDK brand in my books.

The ear-padding started getting a bit ratty on those recently, so I'm now using a pair of Denon AH-G500's which cost me about $50 in Japan. They're a lot like my old TDKs so far, decent sound quality and they seem to be pretty solidly constructed.

As you can see I usually go for economy model headphones, I might look at getting something more up-market next time. Those Sennheisers Rawkstar and Kovac mentioned sound pretty sweet.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you can find them, AKGs are very good headphones that don't have the price jacked up 200% because of a big brand name (see Sennheiser). Excellent build quality, very comfortable and great sound. I've had my pair of AKG K100s for years and they're still in perfect working order.

I haven't seen them in the stores for a while. They may not be made any more, but they're definitely worth picking up if you find a pair.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah how weird is that, I just got myself a new pair and was considering posting about them since I love them so much!!

I was on the hunt last week for a good noise canceling (not just ear-covering) solution after trying out a friend's set. His brand is Audio-Technica :
    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f9450db308d97785/index.html

However I couldn't find these easily in stores, so I went for something a tad cheaper but in my opinion, equivalent. Brand is Jabra, cost me about 70Euros in France, so I guess they go for 69USD here.
    http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/headphones/0,239035668,339271544,00.htm

I have been using them almost in many different environments over the past week. I so completely love them! It even works in airplanes! Even without music. You just turn on the little switch and it feels just like if someone switched off the plane. Fantastic feeling, and also very nice in subways and city streets.

Cool thing is, the audio cable can be detached from the earphones. That way you can wear them just for noise cancellation and not be bothered by annoying wires.

Good luck on your purchase!
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    28wkkzo.jpg
    DT770Pro from Beyerdynamic
    Pros:
    -Super light yet sturdy professional studio headphone,
    -studio quality sound
    -great bass
    -VERY comfortable, you can wear them all day every day and it`s like you forget it`s on
    -totally kills all bg noise
    -will last for years

Cons: Hate to sound like a fan boy but there is none really.

I have mine for 2 years now, works perfectly even tho I dropped it a few times, sat on it and stuff like that. again this is a professional headphone but if you`re like me and use it nonstop it well worth the price! (~80quid)

If you could try this in a shop you will see /hear :cool:/ what I`m on about.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770Pro-headphones-250-Ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=pd_sbs_ce_img_1[/ame]
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    that's some quality advice there, people! much appreciated. i will have a go at the weekend and see if i can find some of the models mentioned in the shops. :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I got a pair of Sony hifi in-ear phones for $40. Although having them in-ear might be a bit odd, the sound quality is amazing, and the base is surprisingly deep.