Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - slosh - Apoc

hero character
Offline / Send Message
slosh hero character
alright! big update..im pretty much done with my lo poly mesh...inc the lance and wings, im sittin pretty at 7500 polys. here are a couple screens i threw together. i plan on re sculpting the chest to be more lion like but other than that...on to UVing!

thumbnail11nq1.jpg

thumbnail12yl7.jpg

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    did some quick thumbs...i'm leaning towards 5 and 10 right now...

thumbnail1hd7.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount, you picked the right team to fight for.
    So far, 10 seems to be popping out to me the most, but keep pushing those thumbnails some more.
    Good luck, dude.

-caseyjones
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    11 is a completely different idea...prob not going in that direction but thought i'd just throw all my ideas in here...

thumbnail2jo6.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    ok, so i may end up going in a different direction afterall. i was doing some concepts for armor and a question came to mind...what does the summoning magic entail? is that like summoning creatures? can we summon "the powers of creature X" type thing?
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I love the whole 'crystals growing out of a humanoid form' look. . . it has been used extensively in the last few years, most notably in WoW, where they're everywhere.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yea, i have an idea of what i want to do...i'm currently doing some armor concepts for a warlord who's artifact is his armor. i was originally going to do an invoker with earth abilities which got me to thinking that armor based off of mountainous animals would be cool. this of course would entail something completely different from what i have above. in any case, once i get a decent sketch of my armor, i will upload it.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    alright, here is my new armor concept. i did a snakehead for a helmet, a mountain lion themed breastplate, eagle wings(which will be much larger), the lion paw and legs, and i want to do something more with the snake theme for his other arm and some sort of weapon. i'm thinking he's a warlord and the armor is the artifact with summoning powers. the summoning powers essentially allow him to utilize the armor effortlessly to use the functions of the creatures within them...flight, fast running, leaping, strength, etc...still have a lot to flush out but i'm happy with the direction.

thumbnail3qd2.jpg
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of a Megaman X vibe and a bit of Lord Viper from "King Arthur and the Knights of Justice"(anyone else remember that show?). . . very cool. Love the legs.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i'm already thinking of ways to make the armor more old-world-like as opposed to the modern voltron look going on above.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    some more ideas...what do u guys think...eagle leg vs lion leg? i think adding the eagle's legs will balance the character more but not sure which looks better...i like the lions paws but bird claws would be sweet too...

thumbnail4wh2.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i sketched up the eagle legs on my concept from before...i'm diggin it! anyone have an opinion of the lion paws vs the eagle talons?

thumbnail5cn7.jpg
  • KICKER
    Hey Satoshi! I think the eagle legs balance the character more effectively than the lion paws. You already have lion hands so the contrast could work for you design wise. As for the design itself mixing in too many creatures may clutter the character so I would opt out of using the snake element for now and possibly adding it back in once you've figured out the eagle/lion combination. Good work so far and good luck, I'll be watching this thread!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yo steve...good to hear from ya! yea, i'm def leaning towards the eagle talons. i suppose i could drop the snake element. it depends on if i can come up with something good for his other arm and his weapon...we'll see how things go! thanks for the comments...
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    so, i have decided to ditch the snake element for now. i've heard this from a couple people and i am inclined to agree that 3 animal influences is prob a bit much. so, i cut it to the eagle and lion. i resketched the wings, and gave him an eagle head. i gave him a spear which i have yet to flush out at all but hopefully i can tie that into the lion more. again, suggestions are more than welcome!!!

thumbnail6nr7.jpg
  • Hildor_muthafo
    i really like the overall idea. i was noticing that his legs are actually like a bird's, but his face is still human. so i dunno maybe give him a none human face?
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Something about his center of gravity while standing with the wings spread out seems a little off though. It might just be the angle, but it looks like he'd need to have his torso back more to balance if the wings aren't out behind him. Looking cool so far though, keep it up!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    hildor: the whole bird thing is part of the armor. its actually a guy with an armor set that has eagle and mountain lion influences. he's a warlord and his artifact is his armor. if u look at some of my earlier concepts, you can see how his leg fits into the bird leg armor pieces...

fly_soup: thanks for the suggestion. i agree that he looks a tad off balance. i am actually working on a newer version of him so hopefully this will correct the issue.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Man, it would be incredibly difficult and ineffective to try and fight with you legs like that. You would always feel like your toppling over, all of your weight is being transfered to your toes, and you would get calf/knee cramps.

I actually like the look of the character as some kind of hybrid, but not as a man in armor the way it is.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yea, i hear what ur saying and i thought about that but my whole idea is that the artifact(the armor) allows him to summon the abilities of the eagle and the lion. so, despite the realistic impossibility of the nature of the legs, the magic capabilities of it allow him to move effortlessly with them. does that make sense? it makes sense to me but i'm having trouble explaining it. also, i really want to stay away from the whole hybrid human/animal thing. i want to stick with the enchanted armor bit...
  • Hildor_muthafo
    ahh gotcha. now it sounds even cooler than before. i like.
  • Blackheart
    great work so far, i like the whole chimera idea your going with, and id probably like to see more balanced out traits for snakes and lions as well on his armor, keep up the good work mate.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    blackheart: i decided to leave out the snake since there was just too much going on. i am going to try and make his lance very lion oriented...dont ask me how just yet.
  • Vanessa Mull
    I really liked the number 11 idea further up. I like the chimera Idea but I looks heavily on the bird and I didn't read the other animal elements until I read about it. Maybe lion head and arms eagle wings and snake body?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    vanessa mull: yea, 11 was something i had in my mind for a split second and it was gone. it would have taken me a lot longer to develop a full fledged idea for it. the animal armor thing came to me in the shower(yes, its true!) and just ran with it. actually, its just eagle and lion now. i am doing a color pass now in which i hope the lion aspect is more apparent and i am brainstorming how i can add more lion elements into the spear. thanks for the comments though!
  • Stubob
    Hi Slosh, I see what you mean about the similarities between your sketches and my 2nd one. I'm happy to back off and run with the bigarm, chopper chick with the gribbley side kick/mount thing.

Anyhoo. Good to see you're cutting back on the number of animal elements. As Kicker said it could over load it, and be confusing. Tho don't rule it out, Blackhearts' chimera comment got me thinking, the snake element could be incorporated into a tail to act as ballast in flight.

The size of the wings looks spot on. Get some dynamic motion in there and you could be really onto something. Looking forward to seing some action shots.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    so, now that i am solidifying the concept, i've been trying to think of a name for my guy and i've been really struggling. i will prob still think of something on my own but was hoping people would chime in with suggestions to get my own thinking juiced up! just to give people a better idea of what this guys is all about, here is a short backstory:

"Character name here" has been battling for years in various wars on his planet. he has lost an eye and has countless battlescars. In his most recent mission, he is sent to one of the opposing planets with a small battalion to gather information for an upcoming battle. unfortunately, his battalion is ambushed and wiped out. he miraculously survives and finds himself wandering an unknown land for days with no food or water. on the verge of death, he slips down a deep crevice that lands him in the middle of an ancient ruin. figuring his only chance to live is to find water, he uses his last remaining breath to search the first room he comes upon. within that room, there is but one chest. Lo and behold, the chest contains the armor of the most legendary knight of that planet...never before worn by anyone since it's use by its one and only original owner. Of course, "Character name here" has no idea and collapses from his failure to find water. He is awakened as the magical armor levitates him and begins to attach to his body and rejuvenate him in the process. Lo and behold, the dormant armor has the ability to summon the strenghts of the eagle and the lion to be utilized by its owner. So begins the new chapter of "Character name here"'s adventure as he battles against his enemies and the machines in a fight for survival!

ok, didnt want cheesy but looks like its going to be. hopefully his name wont be...
  • Arix
    Hey Slosh! Your making some great progress on your concept. Ideas are flying everywhere! (pun intended, haha) I like how your infusing the power of animals into some ancient armor. I agree with NaruSol in that it reminds me of Storm Eagle from Megaman X, but I dig how yours has a more warrior-like intimidating appearance. The lion breastplate will look awesome on the model. Cant wait to see more of your work!
  • CarbonPhoenix
    Slosh,
    I think that there might be alot of logistical problems that may come about when trying to model the back and shoulder areas of your concept. I've spent alot of time trying to model an angel with a semi realistic bone structure with not alot of luck. I think that you might want to try experimenting with the idea of making the wings be more metaphysical possibly something that is projected from the armor rather than always there. this way he could battle without them getting in the way. also then you don't run into the problem of having a gigantically disproportionate upper body. as for the legs, kick those knees out in front of him. as if he were in more of a squatting position which will help to balance him out. I realize that the armor gives him all his power but i think that if someone were to just look at this piece without knowing the back story they wouldnt be able to wrap there head around the idea of legs supporting that king of weight as well as abs being able to pull him up into that position. i hope this helps a bit.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Carbon: thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely thinking that when i model and pose him, the balance will be much better. i'm not very fast at 2d so i do what i can. that pose above is actually inaccurate since i came up with the legs after i had sketched out a human male body standing straight up. as for the wings, i actually thought about the same thing u suggested which was some sort of magical wings. the current color pass i'm working on has them as giant metal wings but i may change that.

so, here is what i am currently working on. i tweaked the armor shapes because i felt they looked too "geometric" and mechanical. i think the flared and rounder look makes it look more like old world armor. its late so i'll continue tomorrow! i laid down some flat colors to get an idea of what i may want to use. suggestions welcome!

colorpassmf1.jpg
  • KICKER
    hey slosh!

Im digging the concept here but I also have a few suggestions. It seems like the lion aspect is getting lost so maybe you can add a few more details like a mane to fill out around the helmet and a tail that will help him balance? Some fur here and there poking between the plates of armor might be something you can touch on. I might also take the armor off the individual eagle talons and the claws on the lion so you can add more variations in color and texture. One last thing, I think real eagle wings would be a great addition and would really solidify the addition of animal abilities to your character. Hope you post more soon!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    thanks kicker! the mane and tail ideas are interesting...i will try them out. i'm not sure about the random hair...given the improper area, it may read as body hair..heh. i will def try to pop the lion claw part more. also, with the wings, i am thinking of doing a magical wing set where just the base part is metal that attaches to his back...so, 70% of the wings would be magical! i am going to try and complete my color pass tonight and hopefully do the tail, mane, and wing ideas over the weekend...
  • Arix
    The wing energy idea sounds interesting, cant wait to see some iterations of that. And i agree that incorperating some more lion elements such as a tail or mane would help balance the animal traits in this piece. Cool beans smile.gif
  • WarNoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    hey thanks, your work is coming along nice i see. keep up the great work! I do have one suggestion though, because this event is taking place in the future, I think he should have a little more future like armor. Right now he seems a little WoW armor like. something im noticing in a lot of peoples work. Im starting to think no one read the directions and when people just saw the word magic they think WoW looking stuff. so yeah, just a thought. Great work though! smile.gif

www.viacaedo.com
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    the only problem with futuristic stuff is it tends to start lookin mechanical electrical. the theme is post apoc with no robotic or electrical stuff which pretty much means armor would prob lean more towards fantasy and magic. i think magic is esp. the key word. maybe you can give me some links to something you feel is more futuristic that doesnt impede on scifi which is kind of what they prob want people to stay away from.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be outright with it; those legs do not work at all. I like the claw arm, but I find the legs giant and silly. Logistically speaking birds with greater sized legs (ostrich, emu) simply do not fly. While experimented with a paint-over, I couldn't come up with something confident enough to post, but making the legs about half the size (normal human leg length) does look a lot better.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    hmm, well, Cholden, i think i will take your opinion as that...ur opinion. i respect that you dont agree with the concept but i've gotten enough positive response from my peers as well as those in this forum that i want to stick it out. if u've read the description, they legs sort of have to be that big to work since human legs would not bend to fit into bird legs if they were the same size. thanks for the comments though!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    alright, here is my next update. was working on a color pass. in any case, i will have another version up soon that will have the wings spread.

thumbnail7sn3.jpg
  • auburenite
    Awesome sketch slosh! The way the feet connect with the clawed armor remindes me of jumping stilts, I think they're called poweriZers(?) I know this guy isn't going to be jumping like a kangaroo but the way the stilts strap on to the feet might be good reference with figuring out balance and logistics. smile.gif Great work!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i checked out those powerizers...pretty crazy stuff! i'm not sure whether or not i will animate this guy all that much but those videos do give me some hints to how the movement could work...thanks for the tip!
  • Stubob
    Hi Slosh, A wee while back CarbonPheonix mentioned concerns about the attatching of the wings. Here's a quick solution that may work. Thicken up the mane so it flows down the back. this would help hide any fiddly conection points.

also, I'd maybe not show any skin on his thighs. He looks like he's wearing sussys.(big chunky, buckled sussys, but sussys none the less)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    stubob: here is my latest pass with the wings. i solved my wing issue by using magic wings that eminate from armor pieces that slingshot out. i think it works so that when his wings arent spread, they just pull back together to form smaller pieces on his back. as for the skin on the thighs, i may try a pass without skin showing...i just wanted to show that his legs are in the armor and not that he has actual bird legs...and what the heck are sussys?

here is my latest update...added the "magic" wings.

thumbnail8vb6.jpg
  • auburenite
    Wow! Those wings are huge!! I like where this is going! It's starting to incorporate more eagle characteristics. Quick question- does your character have an element, like fire or wind? Or are the animals the elements? cool.gif
  • Arix
    Great progress! The wings look very intimidating and ethereal. Very cool. Can't wait to see this in 3d! Nice work keep it up!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    aubernite: the artifact for my character is the armor itself. the element is summoning, as in the guy wearing the armor can summon the powers of the eagle and the lion while using the armor...he gets the strength and cunning of the lion, the quickness and agility of the eagle, and of course...flight!
  • Levus
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Slosh, good work you are doing!

I have some sugestions:
    Metal elements (armor) are little monotonous. Put some details on it, some kind of ornaments, any bumps, or a little different color details or something thats don't saying "im so gray!". Thats looking as "copy-paste" elements. You can do some variety..

Keep on with this!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wings don't get small like that where they connect - they'd lose all their lift like that.

i like the treatment on the feathers
  • Massius
    i like how your going for the ethereal feel with the wings, tho they still look kinda odd, i put together a quickly spammed montage of wings from various birds of prey (Osprey's, eagles, hawks, falcons and kestrels) just to help u get a better feel of how the wings should work ect, these are only references so u dont have to go with that kinda look

wingsfl2.jpg

hope its helpful laugh.gif
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Thank for the input guys!

Levus: I actually plan on adding ornate details when i do the zbrushing. I just didnt want to add all that in for the concept since we're sorta short on time...but i'm right with ya on that one!

Sectaurs: I agree that the base part connecting to him are too thing. i was trying to exaggerate so maybe i went a little overboard...i may add more feathers where they connect to him.

massius: i agree they are not exactly the same. maybe u have the same concern as sectaurs? if so, i plan on thickening the point at which they meet the guy. on the other hand, i am trying to exaggerate so i dont really want them to look EXACTLY like real eagle wings. maybe u can be more specific about what bothers you? thanks!
  • Massius
    yeah i think the connection to the character was the major thing that stuck out, the main reason for the collage was to show that on the majority of the bird wings, they keep a fairly constant width the while way along, the next thing that grabbed my eye was that the tips seem a little to squashed and short, i agree that you dont want them to be exactly like eagles (hence my saying i liked the ethereal style) but i think extending the length of the last fold could go a long way in improving them, also i think sticking with the sharp points on your feather tips is a definate winner, as that helps pull a little further away from the curved points of an eagle wing, yet not so far that it looks out of place

all in all i like where you are heading with this, and hope that my crits have been constructive and helpful for you laugh.gif
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    massius: thanks for the thoughts man. the wings are definitely something i'm going to fix. i may not have time to fix them in the concept right now but i will prob get to that when i do a final concept sheet for the contest and of course, i will fix it for the model! on to modeling!