Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Body sculpt

PixelGoat
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
Would like some input on this, yes the muscles and proportions are a bit extreme, but that's what I was aiming for smile.gif I've put almost no time at all on the legs as they will be covered by a pair of jeans and boots, only made sure they had the proper mass. As for the upper body, fire away with the crits smile.gif

Sculpt3.jpg

Replies

• Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Get some reference, it looks like you just made "muscle" shapes on the guy in most places. On a lighter note it looks like you have a pretty good grasp of Zbrush, the shapes are fairly well defined but all wrong.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's not exactly what I was expecting...I used quite alot of references while sculpting this. Mostly the book "Atlas of the Human Anatomy for the Artist".
    Can you please be more precise? Would love to see a paintover of atleast some of my errors if you have time.

Anyway: Softened the serratus muscles slightly, and made it more clear that the abdominals go all the way up over edge of the ribcage. Also softened the trapezius muscle on the back somewhat as it was a bit to "bulgy" and removed that lump beneath the external oblique, not sure where that came from...
    Sculpt4.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks like you're trying to sculpt Guile, or at least the SF style of huge body/tiny head. i'd say his arms are too far out too, and that his abdomen is wayyyyy too small for the rest of his frame, as if he's only ever pumped iron at the ends of his body, but not the middle.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not Guile smile.gif, and the shoulder-waist ratio is intentional. I know this guy is extreme in that aspect, but if you look at some bodybuilding pictures, take Arnold in his prime for example. his waist is insanely small compared to the rest of him. Since I modelled this guy after a "marvel-superhero"-ish reference he's got a way smaller pelvis than a normal human, and thats the way I want it smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    eddie brock? :P

fair enough if you're going after hyper-exaggeration, i can't offer more than i already have in the way of crits.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    If you must know, its Duke Nukem smile.gif He's missing his glasses right now so I guess its hard to recognize him! :P
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    his arms look stuck on, making him look like an action-figure instead of an action-hero.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Now we are getting somewhere laugh.gif

Made a quick sculpt trying to fix what Sectaurs said.

Pulled down the pectorals and lats some so that the arm looks less "stuck-on"...atleast I hope so smile.gif

Sculpt5.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Well if you used reference you should either get better reference or you should try to interpret what you see differently.
    It starts with wrong muscle flows and volumes, i could say that calves don't look like that or that thighs don't look like that but i would end up telling you that pretty much everything is looking kinda wrong shaped, but here and there are nice attempts and also great forms. You should study anatomy harder and think of the human body not only as a collection of bones and muscles, there is skin over those bones and muscles and there are fat layers.
    My advice for this pieve would be, to start it over again with different reference, like photographs of bodybuilders, 'cause it looks like this is where you heading.
    Anatomybooks are a great thing to learn about muscles and all that technical stuff beneath the skin. But in the end they are all just illustrations, use photographs or go to a gym and analyse what you're seeing , this will help you to understand it better then 2d illustrations can ever help you, they can only give you a glimpse on where you're heading.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input SEKNeox. Like I stated in the initial post, I have barely touched anything below the hip of him so im not surprised that it looks like shit. As for starting over, thats not really possible as this is a school project and I'm on a deadline, so I have to make the best out of what I have. But I've been looking at this for many hours now and become blind so I don't see my mistakes.
    When Sectaurs pointed out the arm thing I saw it clearly and it was so obvious. So if you see things above the waist that I can improve please point it out, you don't have to say everything, but anything is better than "everything is wrong".
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at my anatomy book I can see where you went wrong, as SEKNeox pointed out you have modeled from muscle reffs and as a result the muscles are too well defined and the wrong shape in many places, the skin does not only soften the appearence of the muscles but also changes the shape completely in some areas. Your pecks and arms are looking good but eveything below that could use some work, soften it up a bit amd use some reffs of bodybuilders to get the forms looking more like he has skin. My last post was short because I didn't know where to start and I was tired. I would start on the abdominals because thats what stands out to me as the most off looking. Don't get me wrong, you may well have them shaped exactly like in your anatomy book but skin and fat changes that area a lot.

Good luck

Have a look at this, I saw this guy over on CGsociety a while back.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=309390&highlight=arnold
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you, will get to work right away smile.gif

UPDATE:
    Sculpt6.jpg

• PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Pulled in the shoulders some, not sure if theres a noticable difference?
    ShoulderFix.jpg
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    perhaps the problem you are facing at the moment is that you havent developed the muscles with a belieable relationship and proportion to each other.

I think the forms are not reading well yet and I think that's due to you attempting to put in detail before massaging the major shapes better.

Even if you are going to superheroic proportions I dont think the overall sculpt is at a stage where the anatomy can read properly.

You do seem to have a good grasp of how the muscles are defined, the challenge now is to work on the placing and flow of the shapes before adding the lean detail. It appears like the body has no skin.

offtopic: this popular zbrush wax shader is becoming hard on the eyes smile.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    along with what everyone else has said, bring his hair down a bit... he didn't have a high top fade, he had a military buzz cut.

smile.gif

Kid_n_play.jpg
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    After taking a break and watching some movies to clear my mind I've come to the conclusion that it looks like shit hehe. Not sure what to do now. Start over or try to fix this guy up...as always, time is an issue.

Update: So I decided to rework the base geometry in maya and start over. Would like some input on the proportions this time, length of arms, legs, etc. Please ignore the edgeflow atm as I wil work on that more.
    added the pants from scrath this time, instead of building them later.
    Restart.jpg
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Some head close ups just for shits and giggles.

HeadClose.jpg
  • Motz
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone is looking a the muscles, but the face is pretty bad proportion. It looks like a 15 year olds head. I gotta say that Duke does'nt look like this at all, and the ridiculousness of the proportions makes the model look like an ugly human instead of just stylized. The sculpt is great but, it lacks the Duke persona.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a Practice sculpt from Zspheres. some pretty whacky topology, so please excuse any "artifacts".
    Practice.jpg
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    if you're not gonna make him into a man, at least give him a bulge. poor chap has nothing
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's try this again. Took it back to Maya and redid most of it. only done the upperhalf so far (minus the head and hands)
    krupp3.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Big improvement, keep a good eye on your reffs and keep going wink.gif
  • greenj2
    Looking good dude, a vast improvement on the first version you posted, well done!
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok been working on the abs and pecs and I'm quite happy with them atm. moving on to the forearms now... god I hate them, impossible to get right >.<
    krupp7.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge improvement yet again. Keep up the great progress.

As for the forearms, the best thing you can do is use your own forearm as reff. Feel how the bones are actually twisted in the position your model is posed, particularly around the wrist area you will notice that there is something off there, as though the hands were facing palms foreward then cut off and put facing palms down. You want to make a twist that starts about midway down the forearm and ends with the forearm, which is shaped like a flatened cylinder, smoothly flowing into the hand. Its a common mistake to think that the hand itself swivels at the connection to the arm, in fact its almost the entire forearm that twists to give the hand that mobility. Look at your own wrist while twisting your hand back and fourth and you will see what I mean.

This is one subject that I have at least had to spend a lot of time looking at lol, I had your exact problem a few weeks back tongue.gif
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    the form looks great
  • Quickel
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    i think your body is looking good, but the face isn't working for me.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think your body is looking good, but the face isn't working for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough smile.gif proportions? or just the overall design of it? any tips on what to improve/change? smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its just a matter of taste wink.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    It's not. Anatomy is wrong, forms look made up, and it generally doesn't seem human or real. Not to be harsh, making something actually look right takes some pretty impressive knowledge, but getting some ref and working harder to make sure it matches up would be a step in the right direction.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess I'll have to revisit it then if you can't even see its a human smile.gif

EDIT:

Ok tried to "redo" the head some, not sure if you can notice a difference.
    krupp10.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a quick paintover of the side view to show a few areas you should look at.

pogb6.jpg
  • PixelGoat
  • danpants
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Nice facial expression, especially the side view. You might just have too move the back of the head forward on the side view and move the back of the head down on the front view. Which is not to hard to do but I would fix the shape of the head before adding more detail. Looking nice.
  • skankerzero
    I suggest you open up the anatomy book.

Right now the face proportions are just wrong, even for a character you may consider to be stylized. The face should at least be in proportion with itself.

The proportions are squashed together horizontally. His eyes are too close together.

Corners of the mouth aren't far back enough. Also, people always forget about the fatty parts around the corners of the mouth too.

You have some strange shapes around the bottom of the eyes. The cheek bones look wrong to me.

Lips are very thin. Just because you're a muscle guy doesn't mean you don't have full lips for a male. They definitely don't have slivers. While we're at it, the lips are also squashed in horizontally.

Eye shape is very boxy.

Ear seems to be very far back and seems squashed from front to back.

Neck seems way too think from front to back.

For such a big guy, his jaw is very 'feminine' from the side.

The ear geometry looks like an approximation of a real ear.

It's the little details that will set you apart from everyone else.

Look at real-life reference and anatomy books and it will only make you better.