Home General Discussion

3D Brush

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Looks like this could turn into a pretty nifty program. Not tried it myself (and yet to have a proper go at polypainting in Z3), but watch the videos, some nice things there.

http://www.3d-brush.com/

"You can ask: “Why is 3D-brush program necessary when there are such programs as Zbrush or Mudbox?” 3D-brush is not intended to make a man out of sphere or cub. The main aim of the program is detailing and texturing the object already shaped in other 3D-packet. You work on detailing level equal to 3 to 5 millions of polygons. Operating speed of editing and viewing objects has grown bigger because of using a map of normals instead of geometrical splitting. It is well-known that it is easy to shape the object – it takes several hours. But detailing and texturing is long process taking 3 to 10 times more time then modeling a draft itself. 3D-brush is made to make this part of technological process faster. The program contains options for sculptural modeling so that change of shape could also be possible. But the main function is detailing"

Replies

• pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, but I think I will stay with what I use already.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I like the idea, especially since frankly mudbox performs underwhelmingly at high polycounts on my shiny new machine and I'm not in much of a hurry to go back to zbrush despite the improvements.

will give it a shot

edit: first impressions are that its got a lot of potential but its not there yet. it seems like its deforming geometry *and applying a bump map at the same time, with the settings I have. biggest issue is that in vista (I guess thats it?) theres no menu text or help text smile.gif. so its a bit hit and miss.. also the banding of shading you see in the videos isn't compression, its the viewer, although its much less noticable as soon as theres some texture on the model..
  • EarthQuake
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like the idea, especially since frankly mudbox performs underwhelmingly at high polycounts on my shiny new machine and I'm not in much of a hurry to go back to zbrush despite the improvements.

will give it a shot

edit: first impressions are that its got a lot of potential but its not there yet. it seems like its deforming geometry *and applying a bump map at the same time, with the settings I have. biggest issue is that in vista (I guess thats it?) theres no menu text or help text smile.gif. so its a bit hit and miss.. also the banding of shading you see in the videos isn't compression, its the viewer, although its much less noticable as soon as theres some texture on the model..

[/ QUOTE ]

from the site:

- Editing of geometry is being made 'transparent' for a user, that is small details are automatically moved to a map of normals and big ones modify geometry. That's why number of polygons on edited object is not very important. It's completely unnecessary now to create objects with 4-5 million polygons because details partially are set owing to texture, partially – to geometry.
    - Instead of making objects with 5 million polygons it is possible to edit objects with 40- 50 thousand polygons. Because details are hidden in texture equivalent resolution of an object is equivalent to a number of pixels on a texture map.

That actually seems quite nice in thoery, i've wanted an app that would let you just paint the high freq detail as normal/bump with a decent UI for a long time, really theres no need to have these insanely highres meshes for just skin pores or something silly like that when its just getting baked to a normal map anyway.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah plus I guess you should also be able to texture it at the same time with a map that matches your displacement stencil
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    So this is essentially a program to paint your bump maps on in 3d? It could be useful.

I would definitely put some nicer work on the site though, This freak of nature is doing more harm than good.

*edit*
    Gave it a go, it crashed trying to load a model that was only 88,000 polys. I tried 3 times, no luck. Maybe it's just my computer I dunno, but I think I'll stick with ZB.
  • Squirell
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirell polycounter lvl 18
    So Zbrush already does this, sorta. The displacement feature, lets you paint a bump map on the model, and view it in realtime, so you can seperate your pores, and fine details onto a texture, and keep your mesh much lower, while modeling.

but it doesn't figure out what should go on the map, and what on geometry automatically, that sounds kinda nifty.

Really though, another program in the pipeline? I already use, maya, zbrush, photoshop, and bodypaint... the small added functionality doesn't seem worth it.