Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pretty Boy

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Started modelling in the scarring today. The guy was a wee bit too close to an explosion or six and got the side his head burned and hit with shrapnel.
I'll be extending the scarring more toward the back of the head and down the neck before I go into zbrush for micro detailing. The eye will be receiving a lot of damage when I start texturing.

capture200017nv.jpg
capture2w00012jg.jpg

A quick turn around
www.lupusart.com/Animations/ScarRotA.mov

Replies

• PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    it's a nice start. I think if you zbrush some more detail into it, it will be an awesome piece.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. Should be taking him into zbrush soon to adjust current details and add in the micro stuff, make the burns better and things.

Releaved some stress by hacking more crap out of him today.

capture33tt.jpg

capture3w7dv.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Wouldn't all of this be a lot easier/faster in zbrush anyway?
    For instance just making all of the burned bits and such in Zbrush, and then just re-topologising that, if you're going for a clean highpoly mesh.
    It's just that i don't see the point of this, when you're going to give it a zbrush pass anyway...
  • Mark Dygert
    Looking good Lupus. I think you're well past the point of being ready for mudbox or zbrush.

General question you might be able to answer.
    I'm just curious because I have seen it done a quite a few times before but why do people push the pupils in on eyes when they stick out?
    Does everyone do this?
    Do people put a clear flap over it that clips into the eye since the part that bulges out is clear-ish?
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's just a stylistic thing, Vig. It's not a recent trend either. I was at the Met a few weeks ago and I noticed that a number of sculptures show the inverted pupil. I think it works rather well.

Looking good, Lupus. All those folds and I don't see a single triangle. The facial anatomy seems fine. He lacks personality, though, maybe just accentuate his deformities in the sculpting phase.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers.

I'm going to be applying to VFX houses as well as game companies (spread a bigger net and hope to get some fish in it smile.gif). Some of them don't use displacement maps and so need to polymodel stuff like this. Also many people can sculpt some impressive stuff, but can't do much in the way of polymodelling, so I'm aiming to show I can do it too.

I took the base mesh into zbrush and carved some damage into it to get some ideas. Then took it into XSI and retopologised, then filled in the rest of the scarring. The zbrush pass will be used to make a normal map for fine details.

The eye models are just place holders. Sometimes eyes look fine, but when you can actually see the iris and pupil (or a representation of them anyway), the eyes are off, such as looking cross-eyed. I just do this to make sure I've got it looking correct. I'll be doing different eyes. The pupils do actually go in btw, it's the corneas over the top that push out smile.gif, pushing in gives a bit more shadwing so helps with the shadwing.

People often do eyes (for movie stuff anyway) in two parts; a sphere with a flattened front (flat part being the iris, and a pit in the middle which is the pupil. Then a transparent sphere encompassing this, with the front pulled out to be the cornea.

Once I've done the detailing and texturing I'll give him a bit of expression
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, the pupil does not stick out, it is a pit that lets the light into the lens. The cornea that covers it does bulge outward, but I imagine thats not usually modeled as it is transparent. Light will look slightly more realistic reflecting off the indented pupil. I'm not sure why people indent the entire iris, though, as that should be raised a tiny bit and plateaued.
  • kiril0t
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    reminds of the dude in robocop that got acid spilled on him, right before he was smeared into robocops windshield.
  • Mark Dygert
    [humor]
    Cornea, pupil. Potato, tomato. laugh.gif
    Its all the same when you put it in a blender.
    [/humor]

Thanks guys that cleared things up. =)
    It might have helped if I went and looked at some eye anatomy. I haven't modeled eyes before I just paint em, but even knowing this will help me paint more realistic eyes. Not that anyone gets that close to my characters =/
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started doing some texture tests for the burns. The hair is just a base, I'm planning on using proper hair which will sit over the top.

Quick zbrush render:
    zrend4xb0.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    o_O ... @_@ omfg thats amaizing work u have done. WOW.This burning part looks great. IMO u should work a little in the edge between normal and burned skin. I know its a fresh flesh here ( http://www.defrance.org/graphics/images/injury/faceburn.jpg) but maybe more red color, no hair in all burned half part of head, and ear ... maybe he will look better without then melted. Hard to say, those are only suggestions.
    Anyway great piece of work so far wink.gif
  • cyi
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    You might wanna take him back into zbrush and add some more mid to high frequency detail in the burned area. At the moment, his burns are way too smooth looking. I can see you are trying to add some more visual information with the texture, but you should sculpt some of it as well to make it nice and detailed. Also, the ear lobe looks a tad funky, but that's more of a personal opinion I guess. Good job so far though!!! I wanna see him finished with some eyeballs smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers smile.gif

I've not actually zbrushed him at all yet smile.gif I'm trying some texture ideas to see what I like, then will zbrush in some medium/high details, and use the texture as a mask to work on micro details. Going to be shunting stuff around to adjust proportions too, and fix the ear of course laugh.gif
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    I think the left ear hasn't come out very well. But it's quite ok with the texture.
    Looks cool though. Do you have any refs for that scarry side? I don't think that the skin would actually look like that.
    But the idea is cool. Something original here smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye I'm using a few refs of people with severe burns and others of nasty scars. Also taking a bit of artistic license laugh.gif

@ Por: That is nasty! But thanks for the ref smile.gif

I did some zbrushing to even out the damaged side, so it looked less like his face was trying to turn into a tree. Also added more roughness to it and photochopped in some eyes to give a better impression of what the final result will be (hopefully) if I can get the skin to look right in XSI.

zrend7awh7.jpg
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    coool! make his right side a bit bold on top... hair wouldn't stand fire.... lol
  • buddy the designer
    Hi Lupus! Nice going with the model, I think that his right ear (normal one) can use some improvement, also Wu Thang abnormal skin ftw.

EDIT: Also hair needs more contrast IMO.

Keep Going.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would maybe damage his left eye a little, redden it up, maybe give it a caterac...
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    His left eye is going to be very messed up, that is just a placeholder (cut from a photo and stuck in) smile.gif

I hadn't noticed that problem with his right ear (the weird fold) as it turned out it was in the texture. So I checked the geometry, it was fine then whacked on the texture and didn't check that. Fixed now (yay). The hair is the next thing I'll be sorting in the texture, including part of the eyebrow on the damaged side.

XSI is not liking me much. I'm trying to do decent renders in that, but the fast skin material is a bit of a bollock. It seems to ignore my normal map and just generally remove depth. Here's a render (photoshoppped eyes again). If anyone has tips for good skin in XSI, please ease my pain.

xsirend1cy2.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot better like for my taste. I'm not xsi user, not yet so sorry.
    The eyebrow on the burned site for me should be deleted.
    Also I;m glad u like the link wink.gif Yeah its nasty, but u have chose the nasty subject hehe wink.gif So here are two more, its really hard to find good ref. http://www.geocities.com/~ptgustan/scald1.jpg and http://www.burnsurgery.com/Modules/BurnWound%201/sect_VIII.htm
    But U need to know that the scald u are doing is rather old then this in the pic. But IMO u should try more color variation of brown, red and white. It should help. Also I think that hair on the healthy side should power up the felling of the burned side, and if u put hairs, eyebrow and overgrowth on alphas that should fit perfectly. But its only me wink.gif
    Keep it up, its realy nice piece of work in here.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: some improvement in XSI. Jumping back and forth between stuff like lighting and texturing, will eventually get round to all the crits smile.gif. Gotta shave his ear first....

xsirend2rl3.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Eye doesnt fit. Try to make eye blind and this white around bloody red with veins. Just a suggestion
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, now with 3D eyes instead of photoshopped ones!

Still got work to do on the eyes (and mess up his left one). Need to work more on the normal map and try to sort out the specularity.

xsirend12nw4.jpg

I think that shine on his right eyelid is the outer eye mesh clipping through the eyelid. Will have to check, as the eyelid wasn't intended to be that shiny.
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    This is really comin along, I know you're still working on it, but I'd like to see more contrast in the wrinkles of the burned areas. Looks great, though, keep it up.
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Go Lupus Goooooooooo!! laugh.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers.

More with the progress. I was right about the shiny eyelid bit, so that was easy enough to fix.

Made some tweaks to normal and diffuse maps, and am working on the specular.

xsirend21cp0.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Some eye trauma.

xsirendreg3agw2.jpg
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    It's really starting to get somewhere, it's been fun watching your progress, can't wait for the final.
  • Por@szek
    Offline / Send Message
    Its cool Lupus, keep it coming smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an adjustment to head proportion, and am now working on the hair. I'm focusing on the lighting for it at the moment, then the colour (planning on a dark brown). I've tried to ease the transition of it into the scalp, but not had much luck. Suggestions on how to do that would be great (darker texture on the skin there?).

xsirendreg8gj5.jpg