Home Technical Talk

maya->max headache reducer plugin

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
seen this?

[ QUOTE ]
With Switcher you'll get the renowned Maya workflow within 3ds max! Switcher allows you to use the same mouse and keyboard accelerator keys to navigate your viewports, make selections, and snap objects together in 3ds max as you would in Maya. Artists that use both 3ds max and Maya in production will save time and energy with a unified user interface. Additionally, Switcher has many flexible settings that allow for certain features to be toggled on and off depending on how you would like to work.
Features

* Maya viewport navigation (Rotate/Pan/Zoom with Alt+LMB/Alt+MMB/Alt+RMB)
* Maya selection keyboard accelerators (Add/Subtract/Toggle with Control+Shift/Control/Shift)
* Maya time scrubber "sticky" accelerator
* Maya snapping "sticky" accelerator (Grid/Point/Curve/Angle) [Only available in 3ds Max 7+]
* Flexible options dialog

* Available for 3ds max 6, 7, and 8
* Free upgrades

[/ QUOTE ]

http://draster.com/ -> software -> switcher

a maya -> max switcher. strange, i thought the industry was moving into the opposite direction, hmmmm. or did they finally get a clue? wink.gif
anyway, maya viewport navigation in max sounds good even to me. but as usual my install-o-phobia - or the desire to protect the-perfect-windows-installation-TM from registry rot prevents me from trialing this thing.

any volunteers? step forward you moaners! wink.gif

edit: ah, seems there is a max->maya plugin in beta. or whatever. now that's interesting! do i get skinwrap and paintable softselections, too? pretty please.

Replies

• Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    With all the animation deformers, softmod tool, and sculpt poly tool you haven't found a decent analog to paintable softselections?

Is this a Max 8 feature that I'm missing in my ignorance?
  • J.I. Styles
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, paintable soft selections is an option under editable poly.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    zergxes: found one - yes, decent - hmmmm.... if i said no, would the thread degenerate into a flamewar? wink.gif
    it's a max7 feature btw. (paint&lockable softselections)

anyway i really like the idea of having a plugin to "translate" the basic application handling from one package to the next. it's painful to switch viewport navigation or selection hotkeys between packages, ideally the software makers should make it possible to customize that but for the time being this seems great. can't comment on the usefulness of the other stuff - time scrubber sticky what?
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    No flame war from me. My only real headache (so far) with Max is my current, painful lack of knowledge in it. I was just baffled that with as many make-things-squishy tools as Maya has that you hadn't found an analog. I'll definately give those soft selections a try.

This plugin sounds awesome, it's great news.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, I would love to try that max to maya switcher.
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    maya to max switcher ey very interesting i shall check it out
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Zergxes: If you're talking about "making things squishy" via Deformers, you should probably try the FFD (free form deformation) modifiers in Max's drop-down list. You can apply them to vert/edge/face selections, or to entire objects.