Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Normal Map workflow

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Seems no one saw this in the What are you working on thread, so here we go in here. Normally I post my tutorials in the 2D/3D section, but I know this is something a lot of people have been struggling with, and I want to make sure everyone has a chance to read it.

I'm still not done, probably about 2/3rds of the way through, but here's what I got so far.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm

Next comes creating small scale details in photoshop using the NVfilter, and properly combining it with your baked layer.

Replies

• JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    damn your a turorial making machine,ill do this one over the weekend.
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff and thanks for the tut !
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    You ought to point out that the global supersampler often used in combination with the filter and both combined relate often to what video card you are using.

For instance, I have found I get different results rendering from my home machine with different vid card than I do with my work machine.

Also, the padding option can often be a hindrance depending upon the subject matter. In particular I have found that the padding is a nono when processing BSP textures that have blank areas that I want to be transparent ingame.

In such an instance I turn off padding, set the ray miss check thingy to black also so that Its easy to mask select the black areas later in a neat fashion that setting the padding option to ON prohibits.

Likewise it would be useful to cover the ability to use multi sub object materials and include more than the normal map processing in the render to texture options as the other options are free if you are already processin the normals and if you including the diffuse it is a great time saver as a way to mask select areas later in the texturing stage.

Perhaps you would have included some of this anyway, I'm just conscious of how much there is to cover on this subject, looks like you are doing a good job so far though smile.gif

r.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Thank You poopinmymouth , very good tutorial . cool.gif
    I've already saved Your page. I'm sure that I'm going to use Your tutorial soon.
  • ShadowM8
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadowM8 polycounter lvl 18
    Another great tutorial Poop, thanks!
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Poop, the teacher, strikes again. wink.gif

Always good stuff comming from you ben. You're a true gem to the game-art community.
  • mask
    Offline / Send Message
    mask polycounter lvl 18
    awesome tutorial. Thankyou so much for that.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice tutorial. I am having to learn normal mapping stuffing also
    Did you zbrush the high res model? looks very nice.
    So to make sure I understand this right, you quickly build the low poly model then save that version,add more detail then export to z brush for example, then use the first model to normal map on to.
    I made the mistake of using the intermediate model to map on to.
    I was thinking 2000 poly head , but perhaps should have used the 1200 poly head.
    Man, its going to be a long weekend
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz: I think what's usually done is that a new low-poly mesh is built from scratch around the shape of the highest-detail mesh, so it can be optimised maximally, the UV-mapped. That's how I do it, and a lot of others seem to, anyway.

Poop: Great stuff dude! You're a lifesaver smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    BTW its great that you can use the nvidia plugin to add layers of deatil to your normal map. real time saver.

Also I wonder if it would be possible to make a useable normal map from a grayscale face texture . I did try, but it came out a bit lacking in volume( over embossed looking)
    Imagine the time that would save if I could get it working properly
  • MisterCline
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterCline polycounter lvl 18
    Nice tutorial! keep at it and 'giter done'!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    MOP, wheeeww, that seems like a lot of work. Wouldn't it make more sense to take the mesh you have built originally and use that, or at least modify/optimize it so it fits properly.

Another question is, how much do you paint in zbrush and how much detail do you model in your 3d program.

Obviously the less detail you put in the mesh in maya, the more painting you will have to do in zbrush.
    Or you could build a fairly finished mesh in maya, export it , subd it a few times, then have less painting to do in zbrush( mainly small wrinkles etc)
    The second method means you will problably have more control over your mesh, the first method could well be quicker, but messier
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool one poopster smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    *gains 100 normal mapping experience points*
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz: Yeah, you could use the original "source" mesh as a base for the in-game mesh... but I usually find the two models will result in fairly different mesh layouts, and hacking around with the source mesh ends up taking equally long.

I'd say for organic stuff, you can get away with less detail in max/maya for the highpoly stuff, if you're gonna ZBrush it (although as Daz has shown, pure poly modelling can beat zbrush stuff hands down, if done right)... for mechanical stuff i'd usually just do that entirely in Max, and add any fine detail like cracks, dents or chips using a procedural or painted bump-map.

I'm kinda de-railing the thread here now... but if Poop has any insight on what I'm talking about here (he has more experience than I!), let him share it!
  • okkun
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    If you use Zbrush a good idea is to make sure whatever you're working on is a polymesh and to not break the subdivision levels.

That way you can step back to the lowest level and export that back to Max/maya/whatever along with your highpoly mesh. Your outline should then be pretty close as Zbrush deformation propagates down to through the subdivision levels. If you add significant detail where your original mesh had none just use level 2 and optimize that.

I'm looking forward to that photoshop tutorial. I have been using the Nvidia tool to add detail but only by selecting the z (purple) color range and deleting it so I can use it on top of my original map. There must be a better way to do it though since it garbles the information on the original map ( doesn't take original normal into consideration).
  • LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    wow, thanks poopinmymouth! Perfect timing, I was going to do my first nomal mapped model in 2 weeks smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks forthe tut, poop. There were a few things I was doing wrong, apparently smile.gif Always good to learn the proper way.

On a side note, do any of you know what causes a black texture output through Render-to-texture? I get one of those once in a blue moon. No idea what causes them.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah could be all kinds of stuff to cause the black texture.. make sure you are rendering the right map channel for the UVs .. sometimes by default it might be at 3 when your UVs are on 1.. also your normals could be flipped.. make sure you reset xform before rendering to texture.. also my preview window at work just stoped working.. i dont know why.. the texture comes out fine but i get nothing in the preview window.. i know it looks different somtimes but not showing up at all is kinda weird...
  • Erol
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Thanks Mop, Okkun.

looking forward to the rest of the tutorial, Poop.
  • lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Poop!
    Really clear description of the steps and options/settings so that a noob like me can understand it
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Ben!

I can't wait till it's finished, and your zbrush video really helped me out alot too. wink.gif
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    *yawn*

haha, just kiddin smile.gif

nice write up!
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    This is turning out to be another brilliant tutorial ^^
    I can't wait till its finished grin.gif
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You ought to point out that the global supersampler often used in combination with the filter and both combined relate often to what video card you are using.

For instance, I have found I get different results rendering from my home machine with different vid card than I do with my work machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt its your video card, actually i am positive its not.. the video card is not used at all in a render.. only your system processor.. maybe it displays it differently in a viewer.. but there is only one renderer(thats not realtime) that uses the video card and that is Gelato.. Max dosent touch it.. it might be max settings or something else...
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message

Updated again. I'm almost finished, I just can't seem to sit down long enough to get it done. I keep adding like a paragraph or two, with a jpeg or two a night. But it will get done eventually. I'm in the home stretch now, just a few settings to show in max on how to display your stuffs. I'm going to make mention of Ben Clowards shader, but I am going to work around max's normal bump shader, assuming that it will get better with each iteration.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it is now officially finished. I broke it up into four pages, and there is a PDF you can download as well if that's your thing.

Please let me know if you found this helpful, or if there is something that's unclear so I can update it to be easier to follow.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hoa Poop .. the pdf is a rely cool idea but the link could be a bit morve obvious! Like these very big Banners "THE PDF .. KLICK HERE TO GET IT NOW AND TOTALLY FREE" but anyways.. if i want to open it with my Acroreader it says the File seams to be damaged or broken (tested it with the readerversion 6 and 7)
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    ""THE PDF .. KLICK HERE TO GET IT NOW AND TOTALLY FREE" but anyways.. if i want to open it with my Acroreader it says the File seams to be damaged or broken (tested it with the readerversion 6 and 7)
    "
    The same problem in version 5.

Great tutorial poop!
  • Speve-O
    Offline / Send Message
    Speve-O polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Poop

This is a great tutorial, not overly complex, but it's got all the right info in the right places. The skater came out great, and the high poly model is fantastic. Whats your turnaround time these days on an asset like this?

Cheers

Steve
  • sinistergfx
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Yay poop! This is a great all-inclusive guide. Thank ya.

I'm having the same problem as Omar with the pdf.
  • Prs-Phil
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    thx for sharing ... great tutorial, this is going to help alot of people smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    The PDF should be fixed now, sorry about that.

I kept the link for it small, because it really isn't part of the information and I wanted it to blend into the background after you've either clicked it, or decided not to download it.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Turnaround was about 22 hours. I could have, and should have spent longer on the maps, but honestly I just wanted to turn it in. Unpaid work when it's not exactly what you want to do, can lose motivation fast, hahaha.
  • MisterCline
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterCline polycounter lvl 18
    There's more appreciative people than those who post in this thread. I'm sure you probably figured that out through your site's statistics. For myself, I can't wait to see the high poly video you've mentioned. Great work man and grats on the new job!