Home Technical Talk

max annoyances i'd like to get rid of

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
max users, has anyone else encountered these and willing to spread some knowledge:

- numerical entries in status line or transform floater get either rounded down or set back to zero. i'm not aware that i changed something within the preferences but it's a new annoying behaviour. this happens regardless of scene scale, unit setup and snapping status.
where's the secret to get rid of this? on another installation it's working fine...

- max7 direct3d specific: when i set up your average realtime shader preview with metal bump and i use at least a certain number of lights AND create an animation to e.g. rotate the lights around the scene, changes are that while everything displays and saves just fine, on next scene loading, the realtime lighting in the viewports is screwed up and replaced by a single fixed light that shines from above.
happens only on surfaces that have a viewport shader applied. everything else is shaded correctly and in renderings all is fine.
however, neither reloading the scene nor resetting or restarting max or even the machine fixes it. seems burned into the file. possibly a bug?

?

Replies

• Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    the first problem sounds like you have your inputs set to relative insted of absolute (little toggle icon next to the type in coords)

Second one sounds buggy to me
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    For problem #2 : try to select all your lights, delete them, then undo this change. In my case the lights come back, affect materials as they should, and moving lights anims work fine again.

Hope this helps!
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    For number 1, you might also want to check the spinner precision in the Preferences / General tab.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    pior, thanks very much, that works for me as well. so it's a bug then, good to know.

as for the numerical input problem i still couldn't nail it down. basically i have two releases of max on the machine, my older max5 work environment which shows this kind of behaviour in all scenes - but it used to be different - and max7, the version i not really moved into yet.

when i load in a certain scene on both versions, in both case accepting the override of default unit setups, etc where neccessary and check snap settings and preferences' general tab, i always encounter this behaviour in max5 and not in max7.

also, relative mode is off in both setups.

argh!