Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

school assignment: western level (WIP)

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
I'm learning UnrealEd at school and our assignment is to create a western themed level... mine is called Dry Gultch and its a small western town nestled in between some plateaus... the entrance and exit of the town is going to be blocked by wagon barracades to hold off an army of indians. anyways here's what i have so far:
WIPshot.jpg

its still in the early stages, just testing out some static meshes I've made and playing with scaling... but of course any C&C is welcome smile.gif

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool start. Can you changed the shadow map colour to blue instead of black? That should get you a much more outdoorsy look to the lighting.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin' pretty good to me. On thing that looks a bit odd to me is the way the ends of the planks on the awning/shelter(oh, what's the word?) dissappear into blackness on the ends.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Needs more of a western feel.

You are missing:
    -catcus(s)
    -mine shaft
    -railroads
    -barbershop, sherriff office,pony express,telegraph...
    (a saloon by itself is just plain silly)
    -WHOREHOUSE!!!!
    -tumble weeds
    -hitching posts, water troughs

I saw make the sky more yellowish-orange as if in a sandstorm or a realllllllly dry, hot day.

Ground texture looks like mud, not hot, dusty dry dirt.
    and if you want to impress, replace that gun with a six shooter.
    smile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, slayer is right, i'd suggest some kind of cracked dry sandy soil texture.

i love how you capitolized whorehouse hahahaha.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all good suggestions, as i say, she's still in the early stages, just building props and blocking it out... the ground texture is really just a placeholder as is most of the other textures... no skybox yet, but i plan to make it overcast and raining. the ground texture is going to be dusty soil and a hint of dried up water cracks in different areas.... my plan is that it'll be raining in this town for the first time in many many months... thats the feel i'm going for smile.gif The lighting is very much a placeholder tho, just so i can see textures in-game and make sure they look okay.
    "Needs more of a western feel.

You are missing:
    -catcus(s) ---definately.. its the only thing that grows!

-mine shaft ---nah, not for this piece... but mining equipment might be neat!

-railroads ---the town is in a gultch, no railroads in or out... only small rocky passages which are blockaded by piles of rubble to stave off a savage attack. (gunna put some arrows stickin into places)

-barbershop, sherriff office,pony express,telegraph... ---Sherriff, general store, gravestone maker, smith stable, are all going to be in this scene.
    (a saloon by itself is just plain silly)

-WHOREHOUSE!!!! ---Upstairs at the saloon smile.gif

-tumble weeds ---Not sure about that yet...

-hitching posts, water troughs ---In the works... prop building is my favorite!""
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Slayerman said it very well, you should definately put in everything he said.

No old western town was build without a purpose, and most all of them were for a mining, a train came through that area, or there was a oasis (river, lake, etc). What is the purpose of your town's location beside "if it ever rains, we'll be completely flooded out" town?

A quick bit of history that could help shape your design:
    Corraling up the wagons in a big circle for defense, would essential make a small fort in the middle of nowhere. The was important to early poineers surivial as crossing the vast plains and deserts of the US there really wasn't any cover from attack. One of the most important things was that they chained the wagon wheels together. This would prevent the circle of wagons from ever being broken. Some pioneers would find themselves trapped by a slow attack for weeks at a time. This was a standard tactic used to starve the poineers out.
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    What's the purpose of that assignment? Are you supposed to build a playable level, or just an environment?

Optically, I'd suggest that you learn about some basic principles of art. Don't underestimate lighting. And you should definitely get rid of those ugly brown blocks behind the rocks, and add a skybox smile.gif

Cheers, Lugg
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Also you should model some tomahawks and indian arrows stuck in various objects...so it looks more like an attack and the indians were plenty pissed off smile.gif

a couple blood splatters and scalp parts here and there would be another great touch.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Just a suggestion, but under the wooden awning of the saloon, you just have dirt. In most western movies I have seen, they usually have some kind of low wooden porch under the awnings..
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant: next step is to put wooden sidewalks in front of all the buildings in some form or another...

cholden: Yeah, there is a story behind this town... its a mountain pass town thats a mining hub, however there wouldn't be any mines right in town as that would be a little unrealistic... the concept is that it is nestled in the middle of a rocky badlands-like area and is a supply hub for miners in the outlying area. The wagons will be stacked at the entrance and exit of the level, some broken and on their sides, and some barrels and crates will be placed in some of the gaps. This will serve both as a barrier for the level, and a reason that the town is closed off... the townsfolk piled whatever they could to hold off a massive indian attack from both sides... something like a sacred burrial ground being on the site or something.
    there's going to be 3 buildings that can be entered and the rest will be able to be climbed on top of with boards and such going from roof to roof. My reasoning for making it this way, is that its pretty hard to come up with a logical boundry for a town which normally is placed on a wide open plain and has no visible boundries.

Luggage: I'm going to make a playable level, with bot pathing and everything....
    if you read my posts, i stated that the lighting is just a placeholder to make sure textures look correct. and that the skybox is not in there yet, however it will be up before the level is complete.

Slayerjerman: i had already stated that i was planning on adding arrows stuck around the town in places... but tomahawks might also add to the look and feel...
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    "there wouldn't be any mines right in town as that would be a little unrealistic... "

Whoa there! You've obviously never been to a mining town. You see, I actually live in Colorado, where there are TONS of these old mining town IN canyon like valleys. I can drive up in the mountains RIGHT NOW and see the real version of your level. Those mines are EVERYWHERE. You can see them right in the towns, and in what appear to be random holes in the side of the mountains. If you want to change it for your own personal opinion, that's fine, but dont' try to call the realism card on someone who lives there.

"is that its pretty hard to come up with a logical boundry for a town which normally is placed on a wide open plain and has no visible boundries."

No, this is the difference between good level design and building a box around your level. It sounds like your problem is you do not seperate your scene from your gameplay. Level design is like building scenes for a movie set. Once you've locked down where your actors will be (gameplay layout), build a beautiful set where the camera will be looking (scene geometry player sees). It seems to me, you're just tossing objects in a box and calling it a level.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not exactly... when i decided on this layout, I told myself I was going to make a semi-realistic town... I designed it to be a-symetric and to have a figure-8 like flow. coming up with a believable boundry for what we stereotype as a western town isn't easy so don't try to tell me it is or that my solution is a cop out...
    I made the specific choice to have rocky plateaus and barracaded entrances... my original concept was just to fense or wall the town in.. but THAT would be a cop out.

this class is a beginner level design class, and I had to beg my teacher to even discuss flow...

here's a top-down shot of my level so far. (nothing much has changed... i'm building more props atm.)
    map1.jpg

the green areas are where I'm planning to add buildings, tho i'm still deciding the size and what sort of architecture to use.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wagon.jpg

a quick closeup of my wagon showing scale...