Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal Environment (Bunker)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Optimistic_Monkey polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys, I began working on a new environment based on Arsenixc Bunker Concept. You probably recognize it, as it has been done by many people before.

My challenge for this project is to actually finish it... You may think that's obvious, but I have an issue with finishing the last 50-25% of a project! Anyway, other than finishing it  :D I will be focusing on:

High Poly - Low Poly workflow
High quality lighting
Photo-realistic textures

My main tools I will be using: Unreal 4 | Maya | Marvelous Designer | Substance Designer/Painter

Finally, what you're here for... My progress thus far.

Any comments / suggestions / critiques / concerns are always welcome and I will be giving updates weekly!

Replies

• Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    Looking Good! You've defiantly got the primary shapes roughed in.

It's certainly a skill to be able to actually finish a project, I have a problem with that myself :P Looking forward to seeing more updates
  • Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get all of the modeling done and out of the way before I put a single texture in the scene. I have completed the bunk beds, and the lockers, and got my wire mesh splines working in engine. I also switched to dynamic lighting because of some static baking issues. By doing this I am able to use ray traced shadows, which look wonderful!

• Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on the light models, fire extinguisher, lockers, and shelves. I'll post individual shots of these assets as they get textured! Still tweaking lighting as I go, and there are some issues with my light maps I'm trying to work out (especially the locker doors). I'm also experimenting with LPV for the first time! As always if you have any questions, don't hesitate!

• Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message

I've been hard at work on some of the more detailed models this past week, as well as tweaking the lighting before I start the texturing process! Here is a close up shot of the desk.

On the desk from left to right is an oscilloscope, amplifier, receiver, and of course the television mounted on the wall. Things that are missing: a pair of headphones and a microphone. I have a handful of models left to finish (I'm about 80% done with modeling), then off to texturing!

I'm always open to starting a conversation, don't be afraid to give a critique!

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'd love to see a large dent in a locker door. though this would deviate from the concept a bit. I also feel as though the panels on the floor should sink into the floor, else they would be a tripping hazard. The hanging wires on right below the large pipe on the right look too wavy in your modeling, I'd suggest working on those a bit. You've got a good amount of the modeling completed! Good job :)
  • Seeberg
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, love the progress so far, can't wait to see more! For your light maps are you allowing Unreal to generate them or are you doing them yourself? [They take like 3 minutes to do in any modeling software].  Also agree with Asher that the grate should be sunken in, and taking it a step further making the middle grate lower than the rest. Adding a slight slope to the floor will help add realism to the scene. Keep up the good work! 
  • Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis @Aeseeberg04 Thanks for your comments!

I agree about the floor storage containers, I'll work on getting those lower profile to the floor. As for the wires, I completely agree with you, they look way to chunky now that I am starring at them... I'll work on slimming those out and making them more taught! In terms of lightmaps, anywhere I see artifacts I will create custom lightmaps. I have since fixed a lot of the artifacts since I posted the last main camera shot! 

Also what do you mean by adding a slight slope to the floor?
  • VisualTech48
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    Lovely work Optimistic, I love the design, I think I saw something very familiar a few months ago. My only critique so far is that the huge pipe that is so close to the bed, it should be a bit higher and just like Ashervisalis pointed out, the pipes look like waves.

The Texel density seems on point so keep it up!
  • Seeberg
    Offline / Send Message
    Struggling to find a good reference image to best explain the concept, but essentially anytime there is a floor drain, the floor slants down towards it. So bathtubs are slanted, roads are slanted, etc. 

So this image is definitely over dramatic but explains the point. Despite the camera distortion, the hole is lower than the initial flooring to create a slope to allow any water to flow down. For your scene if you sink the middle one lower, I believe it will add more realism to your scene. Then of course you can add a bunch of decals or textures around it to create a "wetness" to it.   
    Image result for bunker drain
  • Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message

Finally done modeling! After taking a step back and looking at my lighting and the overall scene I wanted to give it more of a personal touch, as if someone has been living here for awhile... So I may add a few models here and there as the textures get under way, but all the main pieces are done!

I took a look at a lot of the Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus environment work and decided to push my lighting in that direction, they do an amazing job at taking a very cold space (submarine) and turn it into people's homes.

I also gave my piece a foreground. What you see at the bottom of the frame are the washer and dryer. I felt like these really grounded this shot.

I took a lot of time working on the detailed models on the desk, as I'm treating these as my hero objects.

From now on the posts will lean much heavier on the tech art and texturing side of things, and I will go into way more detail about my process. I haven't been doing this just yet because I feel that hard surface modeling is very straight forward (and boring in my opinion haha)!

• Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixing this double-post...
  • Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message

Fixing this triple-post...

• Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message

Fixing this quad-post... Sorry for the amateur move haha

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Oh woah, I think you somehow posted the same thing 4 times!! If you have time, I'd still suggest working on the hanging cords below the large pipe in the upper right. The concept has them hanging with gravity, like I've drawn below (in paint no less). I'd really like to see you replicate this cord, as it looks like you just turned down the waviness since the last update.

• Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah something went wrong with polycount, I'm sorry about the blast of posts! Yeah I agree they definitely still need work.

• Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of updates! Been busy with work and working on this in my spare time. I haven't found the time to do individual renders of specific assets or anything so here are the two main shots. I have gotten a lot done since you all have seen it last!

I have added a few new props in, such as the cork board behind the desk, books, and papers on the rug. I have also re-set dressed the scene a bit to feel more lived in and used.

Feel free to critique or ask questions!
  • jamecz
    Offline / Send Message
    jamecz polycounter lvl 3
    Ok long critique:

The colors and textures throw me off. Overall, the colors just dont go together well. The original illustration has a more monochrome scheme that unifies the scene, while the colors here seem to be all over the place and non cohesive. Also, The rug looks too bright and too flat, my eye keeps getting drawn to it. Part of me wants to say that just recovering the rug or removing it could solve the color problem. 

The textures on the appliances and the walls just feel a little flat too. I'd consider adding some dusty roughness maps to convey some age and depth into the materials. Storywise, some things confuse me. I'd make the walls concrete rather than wood. I dont think wood is able to hold up that well underground.

Other than that, you're making craazzzzy progress! Models look great. I'm excited to see the finished product
  • Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    @jamecz
    Thanks for the critique! The cohesiveness of the colors in the scene is something I have been struggling with, and I really like your suggestion for the rug, I'll go ahead and try and tone it down to a more muted red.

As for the walls texture, it is board formed concrete! So for this technique of pouring concrete, they actually use wooden boards for the mold. This is why you can see the wood grain in the concrete, and it is a very common technique for bunkers.
  • Optimistic_Monkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies for lack of updates on here, I have been updating my blog on Artstation instead. Here is a quick look at the progress I have made since the last post.

• Seeberg
    Offline / Send Message
    Making great progress! 
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    hell yeah, this is looking great
  • idli
    Offline / Send Message
    idli sublime tool
    Oh boy, I'm in love, this is so gorgeous - good job!!  
  • WilliamB_Art
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamB_Art triangle
    Great job man, loved the mood!
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Clock has struck midnight, TV is dead. I like it.

Beautiful scene, atmosphere and lighting are on point.