Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Lamborghini Aventador

Lukeman87
node
Hey friends.

This is my first real attempt to get my car looking realistic with proper lighting and materials using Mental Ray. Overall I think I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Let me know what you think or if there's anything I could potentially work at more. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    You dont have to make several threads
  • Lukeman87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukeman87 node
    arnov said:
    You dont have to make several threads
    10-4, thanks.
  • Lukeman87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukeman87 node
    Optimus said:
    Model looks fine, but lighting and background looks bad. Also materials need some work, as some parts are reflective, others are not. As for lighting I'd suggest using an hdri, or just make a plane, extrude it, and then adding another plane with an emmision shader and the world set to black. It looks too low poly as well, i'd suggest adding subsurf or turbosmooth (depending on your software) to it, that will help substantially.
    Thanks for the info. Proper lighting is still something I'm still trying to work on. I'm using Mental Ray with an mr Sky for the environment map. I think the reason some of the car shell is reflective and some isn't is because I don't have any background to be reflected except for the ground plane. I do plan on creating a scene for the car to be so there is more to be reflected. Or were you talking about different area? I used a Meshsmooth on a couple areas, but a problem I was running into is some of the corners and edges were becoming too rounded and it was losing some of that defining, precision "Lambo" look. Would I have to add more geometry in those areas to stop that from happening? I'll definitely try out using HDRI. Thanks again.
  • Lukeman87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukeman87 node
    @Optimus I put a Meshsmooth on most of the objects and placed an hdri in the environment while still using the daylight and messed around with the Mental Ray render settings and exposure with re-render after re-render until my eyes melted. I still need to play with the materials a bit, but I think definite improvements overall. Thanks for the advice. Let me know what you think.

This one is bit messy, but still an improvement.

• Lukeman87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukeman87 node
    Optimus said:
    @Lukeman87 Looks better, could I see a wireframe?
    Here's the wireframes before I dumped the Msmooth on everything.