Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] (3D) - Elesett

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Nihilus polycounter lvl 8
Hello all!

So ive been working on this project for a few weeks now and thought it was time to start a WIP thread.
Any and all feedback is more than welcome.

I have a scene planned out but Im focusing on it a piece at a time for now, and if the initial idea changes then it changes. 
The idea behind the project is to have a bit of fun, refine my home workflow, learn some things and improve my 3d design.

Ive been working on the main character so far and as of tonight ive just finished the UV's.
Keep in mind he isnt final yet. If he could use some more detail/straps/cloth etc itll be added later as the final scene becomes more clarified beyond my initial sketching/brainstorming.

Next plan is some texturing!

Replies

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The result of this evening (besides fighting a bit with Renderman)
    Still WIP but relatively pleased with this pass.

Im looking for going with a bronze/brass armour that has been heavily chipped and battle damaged.
    Including patches of dried blood.

Again, any criticism or comment is more than welcome

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonights update.
    Refining some areas, putting the material set onto the next piece of armour. Experimenting with some etched patterns on the brass plating (not sure if i'll keep them).

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And another one!

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update for tonight.
    Impretty happy with the consistency across the armour, however I think the dried blood spatters need to be a bit less frequent and a bit more art directed. But that's soemthing I will change once I have the materials rolled out to all the plating.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Wow, looking great!
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    Should have more textured this evening.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update.
    Next step is to refine and resolve more of the cloth areas. Perhaps add some to help break up the areas of plating.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last one for just now, blocking in the bandoliers/trim and prepping to do some fibermesh work.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on some feedback Ive redesigned the Couter/elbowJoint aswell as adjusting the Tonlet/Plackart as they were throwing the proportions off. Aswell as deciding that id like to keep the exterior strapping somewhat minimal around the torso so it doesnt end up looking so busy as there is already the buckler and sword in that region.

Ive also continued to refine Materials/textures and begun adding fine details to existing elements.
    (I've been experimenting with Fibermesh for fur but Renderman hates those curves apparently)

As always feedback is most appreciated!

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Badass! I love seeing each piece build up into a full suit - what's the plan behind the scene it'll be in?
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers!
    Currently the plan is very loose in terms of actual environment, there is a few creatures ive had in mind for this from the beginning and id like to make them first before refining the scene. Though ive been somewhat inspired by a cross between a salt flat and monument valley (with less monuments), given the Dark Souls influence a very barren/gloomy landscape seemed appropriate.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update. Adding more fine details/straps refining some textures and doing a very rough test for the fur.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Any chance of adding more contrast to the color/value ?
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which colours/values, would you be able to be a bit more specific?
    Im not sure thats needed myself as its already quite a busy model/texture and I wouldnt want an increase in contrast to make it harder to read. I may be wrong about that, but its all still being adjusted/tweaked. I'll experiment a bit with it this evening as if its just a global thing it should be a simple enough tweak. Another thing to keep in mind is the current lighting is purposefully relatively flat for purposes of ldev so that will be contributing aswell.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started out roughing in the cloth of the "trousers". Sculpting cloth is one of my weak areas so I figured the best way to tackle it was to dive on in. Its a bit rough right now but you can see the sort of heavy fabric being rucked up by the armour.
    At the moment its also symmetric but will be asymmetrical soon enough.

Material is completely temporary as-well just a generic substance fabric with the colour changed.

Fur is still very temp/wip.

(also bonus for an unusual view)

• Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    He's looking pretty badass Nihlus, reminds me of Dark Souls :smile:
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! Funnily enough this project came about cuz I tripped down the Dark Souls hole about a year ago and played FAR too much of it :p
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after a long weekend of photography and shooting textures im back to working on this guy.
    Took some photos that inspired some environmental ideas so started messing around with them in substance designer to get some initial ideas down (going for something that's somewhat trypophobic). Ive also decided i dont like the fur on the knight and that id like to add faulds. Ive also done some more work on the underlying "trousers".

I'm close to parking this guy for now and moving on the next element.
    I think he's in a good enough place to start working on the rest of the scene and will come back to him as necessary.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually I dont like showing things off this early, but heres a very early WIP of the next piece.
    Hope you like!
    As always comments and critique are more than welcome :)

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a bit hectic lately at work and personal life wise, but I think im close to finishing this wee bug guy off. I think after a bit more work and some polishing (particularly on the legs) itll do as a mid/background element.

As always C+C is appreciated! :)

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, relatively pleased with it. Wings and a few more pieces and will have to call it done.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP, been working on some Python scripts to speed up my workflow and reworked the shading network.
    Also been thinking about the color value/tones and im personally preferring the red body and blue 'eyes'.
    Hope y'all like!

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Inspiring work.

My only suggestion is that, personally,  I find colorful bugs to be more creepy, especially when they have that gross semi-translucency on the thin parts. I wonder if changing up the surface on the legs and maybe different sections of the exoskeleton would be more interesting? Just thoughts, it crtainly looks pretty awesome as is right now. Also, hard to see in this photograph, but the spider has tiny little hairlike barbs. Gives me a feeling like, "FFS, don't let that thing touch me."

Image result for colorful spider
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate!

Im not sure I want to add a super colourful bug as I think it would clash with what I have in mind for the overall scene. But that may change as the lookdev progresses.
    Translucency and hair are usually something I like to add later in the process when making insects.
    In terms of translucency though Im not sure I want to add it to the legs as Im not sure the Chitin on the legs lends itself well to looking translucent.
    Cheers for the feedback, will keep it in mind as I continue to lookdev!

Also wings (very WIP) happened :D

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wing update!

Done some test with him next to the knight aswell but I think Ill be changing him to something that contrasts a bit more against the bronze. Perhaps an iridescent green or a very dark black.

• NinjaSocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    your work is amazing! thanks for sharing
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Got a wee update.
    He's green now, isolate dim not sure it works, but I definitely prefer it when put in the same scene as the knight. The contrast makes it work much better I think.

Oh i also added a neck and some (WIP) hairs!

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some random environment asset stuff.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing around with final scene ideas/tones.

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking some of the odd deepsea/insect-vibes I'm getting from this, hope you manage to pull it together into a full scene!
    The face on the knight looks a bit flat and featureless, how finished is that? I think it'd be nice for it to have a bit more depth in shapes, but the emmisive dotwork also just really flattens it out.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So between holidays, computer problems and work commitments ive been really struggling to find a scene for this guy. 
    Initially I had planned out these hugely ambitious landscapes with all manner of creatures/structures.

In the end though, after several failed tests/sketches I decided to scale back to something more akin to a traditional character pedestal/diorama.

Currently roughed in the lighting and major assets that itd require. Im much happier with this direction than any other ive tried so far.
    Always eager to hear other peoples input though! C&C most welcome :)

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didnt foresee it going quite this direction but I was looking for something that was very gothic/Dark Souls esque. So far im pleased with it, and like what its doing for the lighting.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very minor update, blocking in the last few bits.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im still working on this. Starting to refine and ldev up the environment. Slow going but at least its going.
    I wasnt expecting to like a wood aesthetic as much as I am, so im sticking with it for now!

As always C&C is welcome and appreciated :)

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor update!

I'm at the stage of needing to get texture/modelling/refining done on every piece and then I can iterate from there down to a final pedestal.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working away!

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after some feedback ive rethought the environment a bit. It was beginning to feel a bit too cluttered with a lot of chunky primary forms too close together.

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    The modeling looks solid here, but I'm really distracted by the background. Can you just do a solid color? The base color value is also really dark on the modeling itself so it makes it hard to see the details of your modeling, too.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback man, ive had the same suggestion from a few different places so I'm keeping it in mind as I carry on with the environment. Ive boosted the HDR a little bit for future renders, but this isnt really final lighting yet at all, things will likely change.
    Ive also disabled the visibility on the HDR as you are completely correct by it being distracting.

Anyway I hope you all like this update. C&C always most welcome!

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The WIP continues!
    C&C encouraged!

• EditorJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EditorJay null
    Loods really great! but it is very dark to see things around it.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers mate, its by no means final lighting yet and there isnt really a character beauty light in the scene at all yet. Im figuring out a cool diegetic  way to do it. Though im also wary of overlighting it aswell as id rather it keep a little bit of that atmosphere. But at this stage in the process assembling, modelling, texturing is taking priority as there is a fair few pieces still needing done and many will need tweaks as it comes together aswell.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me again with another WIP :)

C&C always welcome.

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    I would change the lighting so there is a nice light under the knight this would highlight him in the scene a lot more. From my first glance I found it a bit hard to workout what is going on in the scene. Is he a giant suit of armour or is this the armoured mans workshop. Anyway some really cool elements right now so keep it up!

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP, still trucking on this one.
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying some overall balancing and going with a wider lens, which I think helps.

• Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nihilus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please forgive my dutch angle crimes :p