Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AN/PEQ15 Modeling Exercise

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 12
Hey Polycount.

I started with a new project.
A AN/PEQ15 sight.

I call this modeling exercise because i want to stay as long as possible in classic SubD.
No zBrush or MeshFusion.

Need to add the Rubber for the front, then the upper side should be done. Hovering parts for the Text and the Sticker Frame on the left side.

Will make it lowpoly and bake it when i finish the highpoly.

Thank you,
Gazu

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Small update on the shape. I think i have the right shape now. Worked the half night to get it where it is right now.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Optimus!

Here some updates:
    Made the bottom to fit a picatinny rail with correct dimensions.

Added the caps and other small details.
    Still not satisfied with the rubber band for the laser and flashlight cover. It´s annoying to adjust the rubberbands.

Changed a bit the Battery Cover and made it more like Reno Levi did a few years? ago ^^
    Maybe i should add the text to the topo, so i dont have hovering shadows on the HP renders ^^

Thanks,
    Gazu

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    That is a dust cover cap. The OP has moved it off to the side, as if the device is being used. 

At OP, the part you called a flashlight is indeed a flashlight, but it is not a visible spectrum light. It's called a "flood" light. It works similar to an ordinary flashlight but only emits in a spectrum that night vision goggles can pick up. Reason that distinction might matter to you is so that you don't texture it as emitting bright light. I mean, you could, but you have done a lot of work to model this tool very accurately so maybe you'd want to get that detail realistic too.

Note : actually, double check me on that. It may indeed by a visible spectrum light, just something not normally used. It's been a few years since I was in the army, so I easily could be mistaken.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks!
    I understand.
    @Optimus yeah this are just the caps, the user can move to the side when the AN/PEQ is in use.
    But thank you anyways for your feedback.

@BIGTIMEMASTER Thanks for your feedback.
    Hm interesting. Now im also not sure if this is a "standart" flashlight or night vision light.
    Will see what mr.google can tell me.

Thank you so much!

Gazu
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Well the device itself is primarily an infrared laser pointer. It emits a beam  that you can see with night vision goggles but not the naked eye. This way, you can aim your weapon at night but not give your position away (assuming the enemy does not have night vision devices as well).

I used to use these daily when I was in the army, but that was five years ago now and when I was looking at your model, I noticed the "vis" selection on the rotating selector lever, and then I kind of remember that there may have been a visible light on the thing but its locked because you wouldn't want to accidentally turn on a visible light and suddenly give away your position, but then i may be mis-remembering things or confusing some other equipment. Anyway, none of that is paramount, the importnat thing is that your modeling looks on point.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Ok i looked a bit on YouTube and Google and i can say that circle thingy is a illuminator working with night goggles, it´s not a standart flashlight. Without the cap its like a Flood Light and with cap its like a spotlight.
    It basicly makes everything brighter like shown on this picture here:

And the other thing are two lasers one visible and one infrared.

Highpoly almost done:

Decided to not integrate the Text into the Topo, will just use the text for baking.
    Added the frames for the stickers on the curve and corrected the rubber for the caps.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Call the Highpoly done.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Found the time to finish the textures.
    Baked and textured in Substance Painter.
    Rendered in Unreal Engine.

Thank you,
    Gazu!