Home Career & Education

Is CTRL+Paint a good site to learn to draw ? Also need some other advices

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Hi, i want to learn to draw as a hobby mostly realistic fantasy and anime style, i already have a Wacom Intuos Small because i use it for Zbrush.
I made this topic because i want to ask you guys what is the best way to learn drawing because i usually need a detailed step by step tutorial to learn something new otherwise i can't understand it completely and because of that i discovered this site: https://www.ctrlpaint.com/ and i read that is very good for beginners.

So i have a couple of questions for you:

1) Is CTRL+Paint good ?
2) What is the best way to learn to draw from 0, i mean what should i do everyday to improve ? Because for 3D you learn the software first by following a complete tutorial, then you start following other tutorials for your specialization like modeling, you keep practicing and so on, how does it work for drawing ?
3) What software do you use for reference images while you draw ?
4) When i use the tablet for more than 15 or 30 minutes i get a quite bad wrist pain, i keep my tablet in front of the screen on the desk and i use the stylus as a normal pencil so what could be the cause ?

As i said i'm not interested in working for a company as an illustrator or something like that but i'd like to reach a level where i can take on commissions from other people like fanart or original characters.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    1) Yes.
    2) Take foundational fine art courses, or observe what they go through at universities for said cirriculum.  Still life drawing.  Figure drawing.  Design Foundations.  Basic painting.
    3) Photoshop and/or PureRef
    4) Carpal Tunnel.  Lack of wrist excercise or excercise in general.  Tablet at a bad angle.  Do you get wrsit pain when you draw with a normal pencil?
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    1) Yes.
    2) Take foundational fine art courses, or observe what they go through at universities for said cirriculum.  Still life drawing.  Figure drawing.  Design Foundations.  Basic painting.
    3) Photoshop and/or PureRef
    4) Carpal Tunnel.  Lack of wrist excercise or excercise in general.  Tablet at a bad angle.  Do you get wrsit pain when you draw with a normal pencil?
    Thanks for the answer, no I don't get any pain when I draw on paper or on a screen like the iPad pro or another display.
    I also don't get any pain with the mouse either.