Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Benedict Cumberpatch likeness WIP help request

Kgizzi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys. Really trying to work on my likenesses. I'm about 2 hours in on this. Before going further with details and wrinkles etc, I'd like to get some advice on where I'm going wrong here with the primary shapes. I'll link a couple images of the project so far and a couple of the references I'm using. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• carvuliero
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2

Lots of things I know. I think I'm going to raise the eyes up and separate them more. But yea I'm just trying to train my eye to be more quickly able to access what's wrong, and am asking the public to point out with fresh eyes what I'm not currently seeing lol.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You can start with head to neck relations then chin its in both front and side not correct then profile -> check whole brow to chin diagonal and how features align base on it .I cant tell for sure from this cut off screenshot but skull proportions looks wrong-> height to depth .After you fix all of that you can check your face feature relation by drawing line from corner of the mouth to corner of the lateral corner of the eye by doing that you will get a shape -> upside down trapezoid so you compare what you got and whats in reference if relation are similar you will get correct position .Same can be done for mouth to nose and nose to eyes
    BTW you front view reference is not exactly front view as he flexing his neck muscle and you got top 3/4 view
    I forgot cheeks are really dominate on his face so you should check that too , he might need masseter muscle as well (check contrast lighting image above)

• Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    You can start with head to neck relations then chin its in both front and side not correct then profile -> check whole brow to chin diagonal and how features align base on it .I cant tell for sure from this cut off screenshot but skull proportions looks wrong-> height to depth .After you fix all of that you can check your face feature relation by drawing line from corner of the mouth to corner of the lateral corner of the eye by doing that you will get a shape -> upside down trapezoid so you compare what you got and whats in reference if relation are similar you will get correct position .Same can be done for mouth to nose and nose to eyes
    BTW you front view reference is not exactly front view as he flexing his neck muscle and you got top 3/4 view
    I forgot cheeks are really dominate on his face so you should check that too , he might need masseter muscle as well (check contrast lighting image above)

Thanks yea I try to align the features to different pictures, but when I do, the chin will look like it aligns with the tip of the eyeball in one picture, then brow ridge in another picture etc etc. The slightness in milimeters makes such a difference. I just tried making some adjustments to the profile with that image you found, I think it helped some.

now if I look at a screenshot from the front though it will look as if the nose is too high or low etc etc. This is where my problems come in. I guess you just have to split the difference between the subtleties of each image and find a point where it's close enough to all of them to pull off the likeness from all angles.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Use side view for height and depth and front view for width, 3/4 for transition between front and side + additional depth information which was not available from side view this way you wont have such discrepancy.You can look for movie in which he turn his head 90 degree front to side or vise versa + you get same age same light and so on if person I am about to sculpt is actor this is how I normally hunt for references -> screenshot out of high res movie
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Yea thanks that's what I've tried lately too. Here's another question for you. What do you do when the reference matches in some pictures but not others? For example, this is where I am now. The front looks like it matches up correctly with one image then not at all with the other. I've tried to align the angles in which the pictures were taken with the camera in Zbrush as best I can.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all for something like what you want to do you need a proper front view .In first image his forehead is gong toward the camera and chin away from the camera + camera is above eye level so you have prospective distortion .Because of that only area around his nose will be with correct proportion everything below will appear smaller and everything above  bigger then what is in reality .So to not deal with all of that use good reference and as I said above use front view only for width relations
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    First of all for something like what you want to do you need a proper front view .In first image his forehead is gong toward the camera and chin away from the camera + camera is above eye level so you have prospective distortion .Because of that only area around his nose will be with correct proportion everything below will appear smaller and everything above  bigger then what is in reality .So to not deal with all of that use good reference and as I said above use front view only for width relations

That's an interesting concept I'm definitely gonna try that thanks. This is where I'm at now. Hopefully it's improving.
  • Kgizzi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Update sorta. I think a lot of my problem was that I was using different expressions between references and it was throwing it off. I'm gonna try to go for the pissed off look I think.

I'll keep chipping away at it and hopefully it will look like him from all angles soon lol. Any more advice always appreciated.