Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Midna in her true form - LoZ:TP (Retrogasm2018)

null
Offline / Send Message
ldbean null
Hey there! This is my first ever post here (long time lurker). I wanted a way to keep track of the progression of this piece and also hopefully get some feedback along the way. I am entering the Retrogasm Art Competition with Midna from Twilight Princess.

Here is the first WIP shot for the record, also to show off her face since today I mainly focused on her cloak:
Image may contain 3 people

I know I need to make her forehead a little bit bigger. I'm also not super happy with the eyes yet. I think her face will change some more soon.

And here is the most recent progress:

I am struggling with the cloak I think. It's a really weird design so I was kind of winging it. Of course, the topology isn't final, it was meant mostly as a basemesh because I'm not too sure how to approach it. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. (please ignore awkward geometry in the arm holes. I got lazy)

Either way, thank you for looking!!

Replies

• ldbean
    Offline / Send Message
    ldbean null
    Hey guys, 

Sorry for the delayed updates. Put a wee bit more work into Midna. Added quick polypaint, adjusted her face proportions a bit, started working on her crown, and I added her skirt. 

I would love some critique if anyone is willing! 

Thank you for looking :3
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @ldbean, I think she's looking pretty spot on from the front view! I couldn't tell from the most recent update (so you might have totally fixed this with your new face adjustments) but I noticed the eyes coming out a little bit on the sides of your first post.

I think it's mainly the outer part of the eye since it looks like it's bulging out a little bit. Maybe if you rotated the entire eye and just brought that back part further into the skull area? Sorry if you already addressed this but that was the first thing I noticed. Looking at the most recent side-by-side you might be able to get away with making her torso and arms just a little bit longer.

For her cloak have you tried out Marvelous Designer? I don't know if it'd work exactly for what you're going for but it might be worth a shot if the cloak was still bugging you. Either way looks like you're getting some great progress done, so keep up the awesome work!
  • Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good. The cheeks and jaw need sharpened up, and the area just above her knees needs drawn in a bit. 
  • ldbean
    Offline / Send Message
    ldbean null
    Hey @ldbean, I think she's looking pretty spot on from the front view! I couldn't tell from the most recent update (so you might have totally fixed this with your new face adjustments) but I noticed the eyes coming out a little bit on the sides of your first post.

I think it's mainly the outer part of the eye since it looks like it's bulging out a little bit. Maybe if you rotated the entire eye and just brought that back part further into the skull area? Sorry if you already addressed this but that was the first thing I noticed. Looking at the most recent side-by-side you might be able to get away with making her torso and arms just a little bit longer.

For her cloak have you tried out Marvelous Designer? I don't know if it'd work exactly for what you're going for but it might be worth a shot if the cloak was still bugging you. Either way looks like you're getting some great progress done, so keep up the awesome work!
    Skinner3D said:
    Looks good. The cheeks and jaw need sharpened up, and the area just above her knees needs drawn in a bit. 

Thanks you guys! Sorry for the delayed response and no updates. Life got a little crazy. I will work on her face some more for sure. And I tried messing around with MD, but I got frustrated. Going to dive back in because I think it will produce a better result, it's just a really awkward cloak design.

I really appreciate the feedback. I will have more updates soon! 
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    While i think her face on the concept art is quite a bi thinner around chin and the jaws, you've literally nailed the eyes, it's like 1:1 of concept art.