Home Technical Talk

I need some help unwrapping in Maya

Hi guys, I need your help. I've modeled tHi guys, I need your help. I've modeled this dump truck, but how do I go about unwrapping this? If you guys could give me some tips, or a step by step, that'd be great! I've done uv's on less complicated models but could use some help on this one. thanks in advance...his dump truck, but how do I go about unwrapping this? If you guys could give me some tips, or a step by step, that'd be great! I've done uv's on less complicated models but could use some help on this one. I feel like I'm on the wrong path.

thanks in advance...

Replies

• onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Depends, i would normal try to group the uvs by material. so example would be Metal on one row, paint on another etc.. This is base on Film workflow. If you asking for Game workflow, then you might want to overlap uvs wherever possible. pack the uvs as tightly as possible but leave enough room for mipmaping. Try to keep uniform texel density as well.
    Or if you are lazy just use layout uvs  will shell stacking set to shape.
  • throttlekitty
    You have a complex model, but it's mostly made of simple parts.

I usually start with some automatic unwrap just to have a starting point for whatever unwrapping I need to do. For more complex single shapes, I'll start pulling logical groups away from each other because I like to stay somewhat organized while I continue working the unwrap. Don't be afraid of changing your model to better suit your UVs if it helps you.

For layout and packing, It's mostly what onionhead says. Start grouping uv shells by material and object while keeping efficiency in mind. Using Layout on selections can help, sometimes it's better to pack by hand too.